PS3 slim or Sony BDP-S760???

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi ppl, after upgrading my reciever to Sony's (str-da3500es) and my ipod dock to onkyo's (ND-S1) early this week I'm now going out today to get a blue ray player to add to my setup but need help deciding which way to go with things!!

Option 1, Sony BDP-S760

Option 2, Sony PS3 Slim.

Id also be using both to play cd's through so would a dacmagic help here??? I'm not exactly a games nut but the PS3 offers internet browsin and a decent amount of hardrive space for me to store and playback music.

Any help or thoughts on a different way to set things up are appreciated, thanks Rick.

A

Anonymous

I use a PS3 for playing BD's. The S760 should give a superior image when playing BD's though. I'm thinking of buying a S760 for that reason. Mind you the PS3's picture is certainly not bad, just too many people stating that the S760 is so much better for me not to consider one.

I wouldn't expect too much of the PS3 internet browsing capabilities. I find it a gimmick, nothing more. It's browser and UI are rather clumsy.

A big advantage the PS3 does have is streaming. If you have a pc and install something like PS3 media server on it, you can basically stream any content (audio/video) to your PS3, works very well.

A

Anonymous

@page { margin: 2cm }
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm }
-->

For pure home cinema use as KevinOK says, the S760 is certainly the better bet if you're going for just movie watching from disc.The PS3's media centre functionality is good, but you have to be happy with MP3 sound quality because as far as I know it doesn't support FLAC. A wireless USB keyboard makes the browsing experience a little less annoying, but with the prevalence of smart phones now you have to ask how much you're really likely to use it?

A

Anonymous

Yes its not the best internet but I only use it sometimes.

Picture is really good and upsclae dvd is amazing.

I play games on it so perfect for me, but if You dont care about internet really and games, then 760.

The 760 will not be a massive huge difference, but you will see a difference with sound.

What you need to think of as well.... When others are buying new players like 3D, the PS3 got that free with an update, so the firmware stuff is really good.

I would buy another PS3 if mine broke

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
BDP-S760 all day long! I was using a PS3 for BD duties and upgraded to a S760 and the PQ is far superiour offering a cleaner image with better colour and black detail.

As for the PS3 media capibilites I personally would look else where as IMHO the limited file support on the PS3 is just rubbish and I use my PC.

A

Anonymous

Limited file support?

I use PS3 Media Streamer and I can play anything, MKV to divx, never had one problem.

Maybe a codec issue, forgot, its a great media streamer, plays hi-def stuff with ease, on mine anyway

A

Anonymous

I agree with canada16. PS3 media server streams everything i've ever thrown at it. Not sure what it does with FLAC though (this is mentioded above), never tried that, have a Sonos for that purpose. I also agree on the firmware update point, Sony has been remarkably active with keeping the PS3 up to date, including 3D support.

Bottom line, if you're going to play games or stream media from your pc, the PS3 would be a very good buy. If you're not going to do either of those things, go with the S760.

scene

Sony BDP-S760 is a super BD spinner and will produce better BD pictures, with more solidity than the PS3. The downside is that you can't play all the games on it that you can a PS3, nor can you upgrade it to 3D. For that, you would want the S770.

If you don't want to play games or have 3D, go for the S760

A

Anonymous

Atkins4725,

Another option for you maybe the Pioneer BDP-320. A very good Blu-ray player available for £199 just now. If like me cinema playback is your priority over games i would deffinetly go for a dedicated blu-ray player. the sony S-760 is a good player but i can also recommend the pioneer, just depends if you want to save some cash as for me the difference between the sony and the pioneer certainly doesn't warrant the £80 price difference, not at there respective prices just now.

Rob.

Cookie Monster

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have both a PS3 ( broke last week) and a Panny DMP-BD80 BD player. I can definetly say that the Panny is far superior to the PS3. PS3 looks ok until you compare it to something else. Movement, detail and clarity are very much improved on a standalone player. DVD upscaling is in a different league. The PS3 can sometimes look like it is panning on square wheels, and looking at your TV without Motionpro or 200hz think you would benefit from standalone player. Maybe wait until 3D version becomes available though, upgraded spec and futureproof, not far off too. Ok PS3 offering 3D for free but if its not in the same ball park as a cheaper player then it'll only frustrate. PS3 great for games but consider a large warranty extension if you purchase one. Take a look at other sites and threads to see what i mean. Personally had 2 in 3 years and 10 days. Now both dead.

Good Luck,

Cookie Monster

activebass

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I'm facing the same problem.

The PS3 does make a very good case for itself. Blu Ray movies look fantastic on it. Only when you compare it to stand alone player do you see that you are not getting as much detail as you should.

I was thinking of getting an S760 for Blu Rays. A Marantz CD6003 for music and then considered the PS3 and for a few minutes thought about getting all 3.

Talk about overkill.

One glance at my Nintendo Wii, which hasn't been played once in 5 months, kinda tells me I'm not really that much into gaming.

Might just opt for a great Blu Dec that does music really well too.

And if need be, then go for the PS3 when the urge to play Pro Soccer over my projector becomes unbearable ;-)

md99

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
Made this particular upgrade myself. The 760 produces a cleaner, sharper and noticeably more colorful picture than the PS3.

Only downside is that it isn't as quick to load or immediately responsive (fast forwarding, chapter skipping, etc) as Sony's console.

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
As you say youre not crazy on playing games, so i would go for a standalone blu-ray player, with newer models arriving soon a good deal may be got on last years models, like the S760, and Pioneer 320.PS3 offers terrible cd playback, but when playing from the hardrive, it's not bad at all, internet browsin is poor, and never used on mine, pc for that job, also games seem to be expensive in comparison to Xbox 360.I would get the best blu-ray player you can get and Xbox 360, better games like Halo and Gears of War and more exclusive titles. Reguarding life expectancy and reliability, i own phat PS3 from launch and Xbox, never had a problem, only upgraded to an Elite for hdmi connection and bigger hardrive.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts