PS3 DTS HD Master Audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just bought Gladiator on Blu-ray, playing it on a PS3 linked to a Pioneer LX-01 home cinema system via HDMI Cable. On the screen of the LX-01 it comes up as DTS but not sure I am getting full DTS-HD MA. Not sure I have the settings right on the PS3 to output it, but apparently all the above kit allows DTS HD Master audio ....

Any ideas??

Damn good film on blu ray btw!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If it's an original glossy PS3, rather than the new slim model, it will 'only' output the soundtrack as LPCM - it decodes the DTS-HD soundtrack internally.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
If it's an old 'fatboy' PS3 ==>

Select Sound Settings

Select HDMI
Select AUTO

Tick all DD, DTS and PCM up to 7.1 boxes and save the settings

Go to the BD/DVD menu

Select output audio format as PCM and save the settings

If it's a new 'slimline' PS3 ==>

Select Sound Settings

Select HDMI
Select AUTO

Tick all DD, DTS and PCM up to 7.1 boxes and save the settings

Go to the BD/DVD menu

Select audio output format as bitstream and save the settings.

Oh and don't forget to ensure you always select the HD audio soundtrack at the disc's menu.

A

Anonymous

retrorb,

I have same setup. Mine displays the same and yes, you are getting DTS-HD MA.

A

Anonymous

Is there any loss in quality when the original PS3 does this decoding onboard?

Wightknight

Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
If you have a Sony Blu-Ray Disc Remote Control for PS3, you can press the "Display" button and it will state in which format the sound has been decoded. (There is probably a way to do it with the standard Sixaxis controller but I have not found it yet.)

A

Anonymous

Wightknight:If you have a Sony Blu-Ray Disc Remote Control for PS3, you can press the "Display" button and it will state in which format the sound has been decoded. (There is probably a way to do it with the standard Sixaxis controller but I have not found it yet.)

Try pressing Select.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:If it's an original glossy PS3, rather than the new slim model, it will 'only' output the soundtrack as LPCM - it decodes the DTS-HD soundtrack internally.
the original 60gb ps3 bitstreams audio over hdmi too

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
JTD:Andrew Everard:If it's an original glossy PS3, rather than the new slim model, it will 'only' output the soundtrack as LPCM - it decodes the DTS-HD soundtrack internally.

Nope, that's not quite correct. Only the new slim PS3 can bitstream the HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio) over HDMI. All versions of the PS3 can bitstream standard Dolby Digital and DTS over HDMI though.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:

JTD:Andrew Everard:If it's an original glossy PS3, rather than the new slim model, it will 'only' output the soundtrack as LPCM - it decodes the DTS-HD soundtrack internally.

Nope, that's not quite correct. Only the new slim PS3 can bitstream the HD audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio) over HDMI. All versions of the PS3 can bitstream standard Dolby Digital and DTS over HDMI though.

Ah thought it was HD codecs. My mistake, I discovered the option on my ps3 the other day. I also heard my 60gb ps3 plays sacd?!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yup, original PS3 can play SACDs - none of the others can (with the UK version anyway - it gets even more complicated when you start taking the Japanese and US versions into question as well!).

A

Anonymous

How would the SACD playback on a PS3 with an AV amp compare to a similar priced Hi-Fi amp with a regular CD player (again of similar price to the PS3?) I know this is a very vague question but I'm sure you can see what I'm trying to get at!

Apparently any of the original 60GB UK PS3's made after 2007 do not have the SACD function. I have one of the very first PS3's but have never tried using a SACD. Would it really be much better in quality than regular CD's or is it just one of those things that real music enthusiasts would notice?
emotion-42.gif

Another question! I am giving my younger brother my old Cambridge Audio 540R V2 receiver when I upgrade soon. He wants to transfer his CD collection to the PS3 hard drive and hook up the CA via optical lead to his PS3. He then obviously plans to use the PS3 as his sole music player. He wont be too bothered about music quality but just out of interest would there be much loss in quality from CD using this method?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Can't help on the SACD question as I've never tried one - there just doesn't seem to be any albums out there on SACD that I'm really interested in so it seems a bit pointless for me (I mean that purely from my perspective, I don't mean to say SACD in itself is pointless).

As for the quality of music on the PS3, it will depend what format he rips them to. If he was interested in the sound quality, he could upgrade the hard disk and rip them to WAV which is lossless, in which case it should be exactly the same quality as the CD (possibly better in that the hard drive should provide a better transport than the PS3's internal CD drive). On the other hand, many people have said that they generally can't tell the difference between CD and 320 Kbps AAC files, so he could choose this method instead when ripping for a good compromise in quality and compression.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts