PS3 & compression

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm a little frustrated that the PS3 won't play lossless formats. Anyone know whether there are plans to resolve this in a future update?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]... Also, if you rip your MP3s properly, theres nothing in it quality wise...[/quote]
I rip my cds using WMP 11 into wma files (192kbps (best quality)).

Any recommendations?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that fr0g.

I have done as you suggested. In fact, I already had EAC v0.99 prebeta 4 installed but after a quick play couldn't get it to work. Following Chris Myden's instructions it is now working. I did have an issue however with the cmd line args being ignored but I seem to have overcome that!

Do I notice any difference between wma 192 kbps and mp3 VBR 245 kbps? Errr, no.

I'm using Grado SR80s, so no problem there. Might be my sound card - Xfi Xtreme Gamer with no DAC. The Track? Wolfmother - Woman. My ears/brain? Can't be ruled out!

Any ideas?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Thanks fr0g.
I almost bought a Beresford yesterday....only PayPal prevented me - I don't like PayPal much!
In truth, I'm building up to some rather extravegant purchases (for me at any rate) in the near future and I might be a little strapped for cash.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Incidently, from Andrew's thread, I notice that you hail from Wigan. I used to live just down the road at Ormskirk.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Been thinking about the sqeezebox duet as a way around this compression issue.
My CDP is an Arcam Alpha 7SE. Given recent developments, I don't think I'll be buying another CDP. The squeezebox duet seems like a good alternative source, complete with Beresford DAC ofcourse, allowing me to stream lossless files.
The PS3 would still perform streaming duties.....although this would be limited to photos, home movies, etc.
Any thoughts?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
I've just ordered the QNAP TS 109 with a 1TB Seagate drive and squeeze centre pre-installed and tested for the bargain price of £362.51 GBP from here. I'll use this to hold all my media, rather than leaving the PC on all day. On paper it looks rather good and has rec'd a number of awards from websites I trust.
I'll probably get an external usb drive to back the QNAP onto every month or so and store it in the garage/at work/not in the house.
I'm looking at upgrading my network as well. I've been using powerline ethernet adapters and found them, well, really rather good. However, with the number of devices I want to connect to the network growing, I've decided to buy a couple of Netgear GS605 5-Port Gigabit switchs (£25 ish each) and upgrade the whole network to have gigabit capacity.
So, I'm spending my money to invest in the areas I believe home entertainment is going and I feel that the network/hardware infrastructure is something I need to get sorted early on. Wireless is OK......but you can't beat the speed, stability and security of a wired solution.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="professorhat"]Wow - I hadn't realised gigabit switches had come down in price that much since I last looked - will take a look at upgrading mine![/quote]
Yeah, not a bad price. Unfortunately, with postage it's closer to £30. I've ordered mine from here. £29.99 with free delivery.
Prof, you'll know that you need the right cable to realise the gigabit capability of course. For the benefit of others, this should be CAT5e or CAT6. Have a look at this if you're considering the upgrade.
Oh, and fr0g, by the way. My Beresford DAC is due to arrive tomorrow morning. I only ordered it today!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for this mate - though I'd be looking for one 8 port switch I reckon. I might get a 5 port for the bedroom as well though considering how cheap they are now.

Yup, sorted on the cables, one of the benefits of working in the IT world is these are very easy to come by!

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="fr0g"]
That sounds like me talking... :)
I have PS3, Arcam Alpha 7SE , PS3 , Squeezebox duet, and a Beresford.
[/quote]
I've just noticed you got the MS902s speakers. Guess what? Got mine about 7 years ago from Richer Sounds. I don't have the Arcam A80 amp......I went for the Sony TA-FB940R also from Richer Sounds.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Had to cancel the QNAP 109 order. I was expecting it to arrive Tuesday 15th April. It didn't. I couldn't confirm the order via the online tracking tool. The order was supposed to be dispatched on the 17th April. It wasn't. I cancelled the order on the 18th April - the paperwork still hadn't been completed. I've been told my account will be credited in the next 48 hrs (why not now!). Pity, the 109 looked like a good product.....let down by customer service?
Now looking for an alternative. TraquilPC looks good?

A

Anonymous

WAV are the only lossless files I've got the PS3 to play so far. They sound excellent into the DAC in the ADM9.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
For some reason I am unable to stream .wav from my PC to my PS3 despite having the gigabit network! This superfast network does have some benefits though. Home movies play without the image stuttering and you can really whizz through the playlist tracks to select the one you want. Previously, I could scroll down so far and then would have to wait as track information was streamed down one by one.

A

Anonymous

IIRC I had to use TVersity rather than Window Media Player as a server in order for the WAVs to work.Twonky may have worked also but I'll have to check when I'm home if people want concrete confirmation.As a side note, you'll notice in the Sound Settings of the PS3 that the optical can be output as 44, 88, or 176; does this mean anything to anyone?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts