PS3 (Blu-Ray) to 1080p LCD and Dolby Digital Receiver Questions.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

(I have edited this as I have found out the answers to many of the questions I originally asked)

I have a few questions about the PS3 output settings. It would be appreciated greatly if they could be answered! I have a new 37" Full HD Panasonic LCD and a Sony Dolby Digital A/V Receiver. Also if you could expand on what each ones actually does, that would also be good!

3. BD 1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI) - Auto, off or on? Again, I have Auto.

4. BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) - Bitstream or linear? Not too bothered about this as I won't be using the TV for sound, but it would be nice to understand it.

5. BD Audio Output format (optical) - Bitstream or linear. This question is important to me. My optical output goes to my Sony Dolby Digital A/V Receiver. On the B-R menus, the dolby digital "blue light" lights up as if it is detecting dolby digital. However, when I watched Spider Man 3 just now, it did not light up during the film. I did get "surround sound", but a man needs to know he is getting the best possible. Is this because I have the setting wrong (Bitstream or Linear), or is it because it is actually pumping out something greater than Dolby Digital, and my Receiver can not handle it?

This leads me to another question - if the PS3 sends out Dolby Digital EX, or Dolby True HD (i.e. something my amp is not designed for) then what will my receiver do? Will it give me dolby digital, or will it just mess everything up?

Some other questions:

7. RGB Full Range - limited or full. This defaults to limited. After my research I am assuming this should be on Full?

8. Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) - Off or On? After doing some research, i am led to believe that i should have this to On, or Automatic?

9. On the audio output settings, it has 5.1 channel dolby, 5.1 channel DTS, 44kHz plus loads of other options. I have ticked them all! My receiver can deal with DTS and Dolby Digital, and I know it deals with 44kHz, but I am unsure as to if it deals with the other settings. It says my speakers may blow up if I get this wrong! Also, what is AAC? Should I tick this? Why is there no tick box for Dolby True HD and the DTS HD Master Audio? PS3 does output this right?

10. I can not find the THX optimizer on ANY of my Star Wars DVDs, and I have a few. Is it hidden?

11. How do I turn my damn PS3 off? The touch-button on the front lets me turn it on, but not off!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Burnsy

A

Anonymous

you can find the optimiser by selecting the "star wars. Com" on the menu where it gives the options of "play" and "scene selection" etc. The ps3 apparently can be turned off on the remote (60gb version) or keeping the on/off depressed for a few seconds. Sorry i cant be of further help.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Burnsythedude"]3. BD 1080p 24Hz Output (HDMI) - Auto, off or on? Again, I have Auto.[/quote] Set this to on only if your TV can handle 24 fps. Something that you are likely to have been told by salesmen, as this is a desireable thing now.

[quote user="Burnsythedude"]5. BD Audio Output format (optical) - Bitstream or linear. This question is
important to me. My optical output goes to my Sony Dolby Digital A/V Receiver.
On the B-R menus, the dolby digital "blue light" lights up as if it is detecting
dolby digital. However, when I watched Spider Man 3 just now, it did not light
up during the film. I did get "surround sound", but a man needs to know he is
getting the best possible. Is this because I have the setting wrong (Bitstream
or Linear), or is it because it is actually pumping out something greater than
Dolby Digital, and my Receiver can not handle it?[/quote] If you set this to Linear, the PS3 does the decoding, and sends a signal over the optical, which your receiver will just amplify, so the lovely blue light will not come on. I think this is what you will need if you want to experience the Dolby HD, as i think the PS3 can decode it.
If you set this to Bitstream you will be feeding your amplifier with the raw data from the dvd/Bd, for it to decode itself, hence the lovely blue light. [quote user="Burnsythedude"]
This leads me to another question - if the PS3 sends out Dolby Digital EX, or
Dolby True HD (i.e. something my amp is not designed for) then what will my
receiver do? Will it give me dolby digital, or will it just mess everything
up?
[/quote] the dolby HD cannot be sent over optical in its raw form.

.[quote user="Burnsythedude"]

9. On the audio output settings, it has 5.1 channel dolby, 5.1 channel DTS,
44kHz plus loads of other options. I have ticked them all! My receiver can deal
with DTS and Dolby Digital, and I know it deals with 44kHz, but I am unsure as
to if it deals with the other settings. It says my speakers may blow up if I get
this wrong! Also, what is AAC? Should I tick this? Why is there no tick box for
Dolby True HD and the DTS HD Master Audio? PS3 does output this right?
[/quote] I would say, 44kHz but no higher, Dolby D, DTS but not AAC. Not tick box for Dolby HD as it cant be sent over optical.

[quote user="Burnsythedude"]

11. How do I turn my damn PS3 off? The touch-button on the front lets me turn
it on, but not off!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.
[/quote] Are you holding your finger on it long enough? It wont hurt to leave your finger there all day to test turning it off. Have faith.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts