PS3 and Homeplugs

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
i will admit i'm no expert but have successfully used various methods of home networking in the past and am profiicent enough to have built my own pc and recently upgraded it to w7. my pc is too far from my router to use wifi to stream to my new ps3 (xmas prezzie) so i bought some d-link homeplug adaptors (85mbps)

they don't work with the ps3. the ps3 is connected directly to my router, my pc is connected via the homplugs. my son also has a pc, connected directly, i also have a blu ray player and a WDTVLive connected directly. in this configuration, all can see and use the internet and i can transfer files between the two pc and the big HDD hanging off the back of the WDTV. no matter what i try, the ps3 cannot see or be seen from my pc although it can see my son's. i have tried 6 different cables, three dfiferent software media servers (tversity, twonky and asset as well as wmp12), removed all network security, different sockets in my home, all to no avail.

please, if anyone has any ideas, i'd love to hear them. i cannot seem to find anyone else with this problem

A

Anonymous

U can check the PS3 network connection, easily by just going

Settings -> Network Settings -> Internet Connection Test

Does this work?

A PC can't see a PS3 - the system is locked down - Sony does this to ensure the system cant be hacked.

The PS3 can only see a Upnp mediaserver on a PC - not the pc itself.

Have u enabled network access for the PS3 on your pc? By default windows blocks access to devices.

Control Panel -> Network & Internet -> Network & Sharing Center -> Change adavanced sharing settings -> 'Choose Media Streaming Options' -> Select Devices on All Networks -> Allow All

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
sorry, should have been a little clearer - if i use a very long cat5 cable, all works fine, its only the homeplugs that seem to be the issue. unfortunately, her that must be obeyed suggests that 15 metres of cable between the office and the lounge isn't pretty

my building isn't wifi friendly which is why i want a wired connection (i cannot easily install a wired network as the whole place has solid floors etc.)

A

Anonymous

have u tried with a device other than the ps3? For example a laptop.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Different ring-mains for different parts of the house? Some kind of filtering on the mains? Both Powerlines plugged straight into the wall-sockets, not into multiway adapters? Anything else connected to the mains likely to be putting a lot of noise on the mains and thus blocking the Powerline adapters?

Or of course it could just be that the Powerlines are faulty...

A

Anonymous

To clarify...

Connected directly to your router you have ps3,bd,wd,and sons pc ?

the router connected to homeplug 1, and your pc in another room connected to homeplug 2 ?

A

Anonymous

I may have just re-created your problem. I was messing around with my comtrend homeplugs and they stopped working and its just taken me about 30mins to get them working again - in the end I had to resort to the manual.

Only 1 of the homeplugs can be set as an access point. The other(s) have to be set as end points. Check out the instruction manual on how u do this. Otherwise they wont work, even though all the lights are green.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
may have sorted it. the literature that comes with is basic to say the least. it makes no mention of them being specific in direction etc as they are identical however, there is a utility to make them exclude others and just talk to each other...basically you create a private group and join them to it.

done this using an old vista laptop and for the moment at least...success. wmp12 is streaming to the ps3 ( lossless) and i can see the ps3 in the media sharing area, showing as unidentified device. now to see if tversity will work so that i can play my flacs and transcode on the fly

thanks for all your suggestions guys

A

Anonymous

If you are going to run FLACs and Tversity, you may be better with 200mpd plugs rather than 85mps, to give yourself more bandwidth between router and thernet plug.

I run Devolo 200mps items with great results, having wasted time effort and money on Advent plus that kept overheating and blowing, I am not sure that all 200mps plugs are compatible with the 85mps items.

Once you have your basic star homeplug network up and running with first pair of plugs, (1 to router, 1 to first device), I have found adding new plugs and n wireless extenders/access points, a doddle. Having also tried them on extension leads with surge protectors, and on different spurs/rings throughout house, I have had no problems. Having a new or relatively modern consumer unit seems to be key.

Furthermore, I can detect no sound quality differences between: hard wired CAT5/6; wireless N or G; or Homeplug wired, when it comes to listening to music extracted from a folder on network and susequently inflated by the DAC.

I hope it all comes together for you. Home networking is good when it's good, but when it's bad...

A

Anonymous

Bump!

I also have D-Link Homplug devices and a PS3. Router DHP-1565 and two DHP-500AV. The router is homeplug directly via power cord. I could use media servers fine until recently but now I have to go WIFI or to one of the four LAN ports on the router. Another strange thing is that I can't get an IP from my ISP if I connect the PS3 to the fibre directly in the wall but has to go through the router. I can connect any other device directly to the wall except the PS3. When my ISP monitors the PS3 trying to get IP they see the MAC and that the PS3 indeed gets an IP but the PS3 says it failed. The only way to get IP from ISP (not from router) is by:

1. Turn off PS3 and remove network cable from PS3

2. Turn on PS3 in safe mode

3. Restore all settings to default

4. Restart PS3 and go through first time setup WITHOUT network cable connected.

5. When setup reaches network settings insert network cable and try Easy (automatic) and it fails but if you choose Custom with all automatic settings like auto IP (don't change anything) the PS3 does not search for IP and such instead it simply saves settings.

6. When PS3 is restarted choose Settings and Connection Status List and voila all is fine! IP, DNS and so forth are all from the ISP. It works without getting IP from router.

7. Now choose Internet Connection Test to see if you can renew IP and all that with the same settings and it fails while trying to get IP. How strange is that? I know that it has worked in the past maybe a year ago or so but not anymore.

I don't have to go through all that when using exactly same settings connected to the router and all other devices work as they should.

Back to topic!

Internet works 100% with the homeplugs and router. Good ping while playing multiplayer. Netflix and everything works perfectly with good quality but why can't the PS3 see any media servers anymore? Not even the media server in my Sony Xperia S. Why do I have to bypass the homeplug devices with my PS3 just for media servers?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts