Projector advice needed

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I currently have a 42" Panasonic TV, but am sitting 5m away so need a larger screen, I have been veiwing TV's in shops and standing roughly the same distance as I sit and I still think unless I go over 60" its not worth spending the money just to get a 50" plus screen, so I thought about a projector, but I have no idea where to start.

First, what size image can I expect from a projector ?

I assume that I need to buy a screen to project the image onto, are they included with the projector or do I need to buy seperate and how much are they ?

I guess they are ceiling mounted so if all my AV equipment is at the front, that means I need to find a way to hide the cables that connect the whole thing together, is this an easy thing to acheive ?

Thanks in advance

Damian

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello Damian, there are several things to consider with a projector but in answer to your questions:

Image size is dependant on the throw distance of the projector. With over 5m you would be looking at roughly 90" up ( diagonal). Some units will offer slightly less and I wouldn't suggest going over 120-130" with your seating distance.

You can project onto a flat wall but a screen will improve the results. Some retailers bundle the screens as part of a package but you can buy excatly what you need separtely - £300 upwards is a good starting point for 90" or so.

Running an HDMI cable from your amplifier to the projector can be straightforward, it really depneds on the construction of your room. The majoirty of amplifiers offering HD Audio will also work as an HDMI switch so you will only need one cable and power at the projector.

A

Anonymous

5mtr is 16.4ft taking away about 2ft for the width of the projector gives 14.4ft. If the projector has rear air cooling vents rather than forward or side vents you will need to take in to account giving it more room to breath. Projector fan noise may also dictate placement, as you do not generally want to be sat directly below it.

Image size depends on the projectors throw ratio, distance from screen to width of image projected. It varies from projector model to projector model. A typical short throw projector is 1.55-1.7 throw ratio, it is given as a range because they have zoom lenses so you can alter the size of the image slightly without moving the projector. 14.4/1.55 = 9.3ft. Projector image size is measure by width not diagonal so that gives you 5.2ft high and 9.3ft wide image, about 128 inch diagonal.

You genrally want viewer distance to be about 1.5x screen width (not diagonal). Some people prefer as close as 1x screen width others upto 2x screen width or further.

Since you can project the same image size from different distances by using the lens zoom, the question of what is best projector closest to the screen or projector farthest from the screen arises. The zoom effects brightness and to a lesser extent contrast. To calculate the effect on brightness you use the lens f numbers. (f1/f2)squared. For example a projector listed as having a f2.6-2.4 lens works out as (f2.4 largest image / f2.6 smallest image) squared = 85.2. 100 - 85.2 = 14.8% loss of light, largest image 100%,smallest image 85.2%. The effect on contrast is the opposite way round it is higher in the smallest image, and is typically alot less than the difference in light output, about 7% or less. Depending on lens quality the smallest image will also usually be sharper than the largest image, but with some projectors the middle of the focus range may give the sharpest image. Since contrast has a bigger effect on perceived picture quality than brightness, as long as the image is bright enough, it is usually best to project the smallest image. To determine lens focus and sharpness you want an image of black lines on a white background and face inches from the screen look for the least chromatic abberation (the black does not go sharply into white, but has a colored edge) at the extremes of the screen, or with DLP projectors how sharp the individual pixel structure looks.

You also need to take into account the projector offset, the angle its lens aims at the center of the screen. DLP projectors normally have no adjustable up/down lens shift, while some LCD projectors do. Offset is given is a percentage of the screen height that the projector (center of lens) must be mounted from the furthest vertical point of the screen. For example a fixed offset of 136% percent with a screen 62.4" in height, means that this projector would need to be mounted 84.86" above the bottom of the screen for a ceiling mount. 136% * 62.4" = 1.36 * 62.4" = 84.86" Projectors also have digital keystone adjustment to compensate for incorrect placement but it is best avoided.

DLP projectors normally have no adjustable left/right lens shift, while LCD projectors usually do. So DLP projectors are ideally placed lining up with the center of the screen, to avoid having to using digital keystone adjustment. While LCD projector have some leeway to be placed to the right or left side of the centerline.

Image brightness wants to be around 12ftL but varies by personal preference, some people go as low as 8ftL in dedicated batcaves, some as high as 24ftL in rooms with some ambient lighting. The projectors quoted Lumance ratting devided by the surface area of the image in feet gives ftL. So with a 5.2ft x 9.3ft image you would devide Luminance by 48.36 to give ftL. Due to overly optomistic manufactures specifications you usually want to treat their Luminance values as half what they quote, the lamp will dim with age as well, and if too bright you can use a camera neutral densitiy filter. A matt white wall is taken to have a gain of x1, but you can use high gain or low gain screens. A overly bright DLP projector will induce DLP rainbow effect.

You can project on to a flat matt wall, no problem. For the best neutral white paint or paint mixes, I would search on google for home cinema enthusiast forums. Some people prefer screens especially in non-ideal viewing conditions. In ideal viewing conditions a while a matt white screen is usually the easiest option and will not perform much if any better than a white flat matt wall.

Any ambient lighting in the room will washout the image contrast. Even without any other sources of light, the projected image itself will reflect into the room, bounce of the walls, ceiling, floor and back onto the screen washing out some simultaneous contrast. Dedicated home cinemas are often black to get maximum picture quality. A greyscreen or one with directional gain will help offset non-ideal viewing conditions.

I hope you're not planning to watch regular TV programmes on your projector!!
emotion-3.gif
Or are you keeping your 42" TV for them?

You have to ensure complete darkness for a decent performance.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Knightout - thanks for that, very detailed

Bigboss - no I was planning to keep the TV for normal viewing and then have the screen come down in front of the TV for blu-ray and SKY HD, if that is possible.

I think I may have a problem with the total darkness which could end this idea of mine, as my lounge has archways near the viewing end to kitchen on the right and conservatory on the left and neither have doors on them.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
HI,

DJEpson - if I were you, I'd get a set of curtains to hang across both archways.

Speak to a dealer who will be able to show you or at least assist you in your purchase. Some have projector set ups in demo rooms (Home Cinema Centre, SSAV in Glasgow do) and may be able to vary lighting conditions to replicate your viewing area.

They can also advise if you think there's any pitfalls.

Enjoy.

Cofnchtr.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
trouble is I live in Channel Islands, so my options are limited and my girlfriend will never go for curtains across the archways !!!

so it could be back to the drawing board and getting a 60" or so TV instead

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
If you want an inexpensive projector that will provide excellent pictures with the ability to be used in a room that is not totally blacked out consider the Panasonic PTAX 200E. I had one of these prior to my Current Sanyo PLV Z 700 which is not as bright. The Panasonic is 2000 ANSI lumens which is particularly good. Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts