Project essential 2 + denon pma520ae.... But what speakers?! HELP!!!

Hsimmo95

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Have finally decided on what turntable and amp to go for. But what speakers should I buy? I need fairly small sized book shelf. Nothing too crazy. Please help!

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I bought some Monitor Audio bx1 from richersounds a few weeks ago. They are half price just £100. Can't imaging you can get any better for the size and price. They are handsome pair too. If you're booking a listen room you could try out the a few more like

Roth ra1

Q Acoustic 2020i

Tannoy revolultion dc4

Wharfedale diamond 121 (bit larger though)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hsimmo95 said:
I really like those! Even though they are standmount would it be ok having them on a glass shelf or a wooden cabinet?

Glass shelf not good idea. Wooden cabinet also not that good especially if turntable is on it as well. Some speakers can be wall mounted. Do you not have room for stands?

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
You could get some sorbothane gel type isolation feet under all the componenets however this is likely to cost as much as buying some stands. You could try improvising with things you may have already. Halved squash balls. Others have tried bricks sand bags under speakers. Google it and you might find something that works for you.

Hsimmo95

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Ah man! So is it a bad idea to have all the components on 1 surface? Don't really have any other optinos right now other than 2 glass shelves above.

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
What was your budget for speakers? You might be able to find some floorstanders within budget then your work surface is free for your turntable

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Can i suggest you go secondhand on some items. Just a quick look on gumtree there are plenty of great amps from NAD/Rotel/Marantz on there for £50-£60.

Searching floorstanders i'm finding models from Monitor Audio, Tannoy, Mission, Mordaunt Short, Dynaudio and Acoustic Energy all under £200 some even under £100. All well regarded and trusted brands.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Hsimmo95 said:
Ah man! So is it a bad idea to have all the components on 1 surface? Don't really have any other optinos right now other than 2 glass shelves above.

My earlier response has disappeared. Turntables should be isolated from vibration as much as possible. Putting speakers, amp and cd on same surface does not make so much different IMO, but I would buy some isolation pads as use in studios under the speakers otherwise a lot of the sound will be going into the cabinet. You maybe better off using wall brackets which you can buy for £10-£20. But check speakers are suitable. You can buy speakers stands used for about £10-£20. For stereo you need the speakers to be roughly 5-8 feet apart if you are sitting around 8 feet away and the tweeters should be about ear level.

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't know where you live to check. However the brands i mentioned are all pretty safe bets. I don't think i've ever seen any of them make a speaker with less than 4 stars in what hifi. You could check ebay to for local items that can be picked up.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts