Project Debut Carbon

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
My stylus is due for replacement and I'm toying with trying a different cartridge. It's a bit of a mine field but I thought I'd like to try an MC cart but clearly with my table there's no point spending big bucks. I understand that the table has no VTA adjustment and so I believe it is optimised for the 18mm height of the 2M cartridge it comes with.

I was thinking of changing for the Dynavector DV10x5 which is 18.8mm but additionally I have changed the platter from a steel platter with a mat to an Acrylic platter with no mat.

My three questions are:

does the DV sound like a sensible replacement for a 2M Blue?

does the geometry sound like it would work without any height adjustment?

do I run the DV on MM or MC setting on the phono stage (I understand its output is 2.5mV so I assume MM)?

Thanks.

splasher said:
My stylus is due for replacement and I'm toying with trying a different cartridge. It's a bit of a mine field but I thought I'd like to try an MC cart but clearly with my table there's no point spending big bucks. I understand that the table has no VTA adjustment and so I believe it is optimised for the 18mm height of the 2M cartridge it comes with.

I was thinking of changing for the Dynavector DV10x5 which is 18.8mm but additionally I have changed the platter from a steel platter with a mat to an Acrylic platter with no mat.

My three questions are:

does the DV sound like a sensible replacement for a 2M Blue?

does the geometry sound like it would work without any height adjustment?

do I run the DV on MM or MC setting on the phono stage (I understand its output is 2.5mV so I assume MM)?

Thanks.

I would say it is an improvement over the cheaper Ortofons yes.

Although I would not recommend Hi-Output Moving Coils this is perhaps one of the better ones. I would normally suggest that people stick with Moving Magnet as, in this price range, presentation will differ but big improvements are not always seen necessarily.

I think this will work just fine and VTA should not be too much of a concern here.

Run on the MM setting

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Although I would not recommend Hi-Output Moving Coils this is perhaps one of the better ones. I would normally suggest that people stick with Moving Magnet as, in this price range, presentation will differ but big improvements are not always seen necessarily.

Thanks for the help, Al.

Is there another MC cartridge around the same price that would provide better performance in your opinion? Or would spending the same on an MM like the 2M Bronze provide the same level of improvement?

So many options!

splasher said:
Al ears said:

Thanks for the help, Al.

Is there another MC cartridge around the same price that would provide better performance in your opinion? Or would spending the same on an MM like the 2M Bronze provide the same level of improvement?

So many options!

As I said I would not normally advocate high output mc's at all. Give the Dyn a try if you like as I cannot say I have heard many in this price range.

The bronze would keep that Ortofon sound you are used to but more so and should not be discounted. The other option would be to stick with MM and go for that old favourite the Nagaoka MP200.

I know it's maybe much help as everyone hears things slightly different but my money would be on the Nag followed by the Dyn and, if you are not sure of the changes they might or might not bring, then go for the bronze.

I know that sounds a bit non-committal but it's a grey area and something your going to have to commit to because auditioning is out. You will take a bit of a financial hit if you don't like any of these but, due to popularity, the Nag will be easier to sell on if you don't like it.

Chris Munden

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Splasher, the Project debut carbon, is an excellent deck (although I would prefer to up grade the cartridge on an Xpression carbon UKX) but quite honestly are you going to hear a big diffence putting a more expensive cartridge on it, yes you might, well, actually you will but it won't be a huge jump for the money involved. I won't suggest a brand, but if you like the sound you have already then stick with that brand may be the next step up but remember this is a budget deck although a very good deck, it will probably struggle to get the most out of a very expensive cartridge so you will have to draw the line somewhere between cost and performance.

Hi Fi is a science of diminishing returns!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The Dynavector is a very analytical cartridge - nothing wrong in that but I found it too forward and found the Nagaokas to be more musical and engaging.

However! Cartridges are very personal as they offer different presentations you may love the Dynavector - it's a great cartridge and I was blown away with initially but found my self slightly tiring of it in the end.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts