ProJect Debut ||| Carbon vs. AudioTechnica AT-LP120

xmidpoe

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Hope some one will help me here with the dilema. I what to get a new TT, my old one is too old and not so good but it was fine for me for now. It is Sansui TT with Stanton 500 catrige. Now the dilema is between

1.ProJect Debut ||| Carbon

2.AudioTechnica AT-LP120

The thing is that this are the two and only two TT's that are worth looking at that I can find localy, so that's why I am stuced with only tow choices. I was reading about this two and found things that just doubled my dilema. I am planning as I was till now to listen old but also I have a big collection of new records, and still buying so the usage of it will not be on special ocasions.

The only ting that I am worring about the AT-LP120 is the sound quality. On it I think I can play with more cartrages vs. the ProJect...or I am wrong?

On the ProJect is the switch between 33/45 and if it can play 33 1/3?

So not to go to much into writing, I would be satisfied with excellant sound, but also with practicality.

Please help with advise, and dome one with past experiences.

Thank you in advance

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Haven't heard the Audio Technica, so can't comment on it's sould quality, but I have heard the Project Debut and it really is a fine sounding turntable for really silly money. I don't think there is anything anywhere near it's price that can compete. You can try as many cartridges as you want on the Project, no problem, but within reason of course.

xmidpoe

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
First thank you for your welcoming. :)

Now I will ask another questions, and that is regarding the 33 and 33 1/3, this comes that the regular records that spin at 33 will be played a litle bit faster at 33 1/3?

And this is the main thing that makes me to think about the ProJect, if there was a swicth to 33, 33 1/3 and 45 I will not ask a question nor have a doubth about it, because it comes with Ortofon 2M Red, carbon tonearm..

Thank you

There is obviously some confusion here.
To clarify (I hope) vinyl is usually recorded at one of three speeds 33 1/3, 45 or 78 rpm.
With most decks / power supply boxes the 33 1/3 RPM is usually abreviated to 33 (because they cannot be bothered to write 1/3 after it :) )
If you have the basic Debut Carbon you change speeds by lifting the platter off and manually move the belt onto a different diameter pulley.
If it comes supplied with the Speedbox SE then speed is electronically controlled and although it says 33 on the box the LP will actually (if accurately set) be rotating at 33 1/3 RPM.

xmidpoe

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Excellant comet, but also rises another question to me. I am not new one to TT, and your comment got me confused. I have recods on which excplicitly is stated 33 1/3 spining speed. And on my current TT light notification when you spin the record on 33 speed displays it and 33 1/3 diferent position somthing like Technics 1200.

You are saying that this 33 and 33 1/3 is irelevant?

Nice discussion. Thank you for it. :)

I understand English is not your first language but I do not fully understand your comment;-

And on my current TT light notification when you spin the record on 33 speed displays it and 33 1/3 diferent position somthing like Technics 1200.

Basically if any TT is displaying 33 then it is actually rotating at 33 1/3 so yes it is irrelevant.

xmidpoe

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
What I was saying that on my current TT you can make the record spin 33 1/3 and that is visible on the platter.

But you have answered my question. Thaks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts