Problems with 2 x Marantz CD-63 Mk II K.I. Signatures........

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The history here is that I bought a classic CD-63 K.I. for a second bedroom system (apparently the Marantz is perfectly weighted for those Barry White CD's).... at the moment whilst I await delivery of a suitable hi-fi stand....... in the interim I also managed to pick up a Arcam 9/9p and another CD-63 K.I. really cheap which I am going to punt on in the next few weeks for a little profit.......

I am running the CD players through a Arcam A85 to Mission m64i's and using some 'Chunky cables' from a dude off of the Ebay... nice cables.

The first CD-63 developed this noise that was like 'bop' that happens whenever you do something to the cd you are playing.... so, for example, you skip on to the next track... 'bop'. Press pause 'bop'. Press play again 'bop'. It comes through the left hand speaker and it is annoying.

I thought... it happens, secondhand equipment..... you know?

Anyway..... went on to the second CD-63 K.I. to test it for selling. It was perfect, in fact I thought that it sounded a little stronger than mine, which strengthened my resolve to get mine serviced......

Got up this morning ...... went into the living room, put on Beck 'Mutations'.... and there was no sound through the right hand speaker! Well at first I thought that I might of done something stupid and blown it..... so there was a bit of worry and I set about testing everything. The good news was that if I went through the Arcam CD73T the speaker came back... so I tried different channels on the A85 with the CD-63.... and after much monkeying it just started working - still do not know why....... HOWEVER

The second CD-63 has now developed the 'bop' problem! I thought, right it is the interconnects and changed them. It is not.

Has anyone else had this and do you know what it is ? Is the CD-63 particularly suseptible to it ?

Any help appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The 'bop' sounds like a problem with the muting, used to stop any nasty digital hash coming through your speakers while the player is finding the track and so on

But you have to remember any of these players is now going to be at least 10 years old, so problems aren't exactly unusual.

I have one of the very early ones - I think one of the first few made - and it still sounds great, even though the disc loader screams every time the drawer opens or closes!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
The 'bop' sounds like a problem with the muting, used to stop any nasty digital hash coming through your speakers while the player is finding the track and so on

But you have to remember any of these players is now going to be at least 10 years old, so problems aren't exactly unusual.

I have one of the very early ones - I think one of the first few made - and it still sounds great, even though the disc loader screams every time the drawer opens or closes!

Cheers for the answer, I reckon that I might take one to Audiogold and give them a crack at it as it is quite distracting.... still as you say old electronics and second hand equipment you have to accept these risks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts