Problem with the motor perhaps?

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I switched the motor of my turntable on I have noticed that there is a squeaky sound when turning the platter. Is the motor going to pack up or those it just need some TLC (ie: oil)

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Could be motor, could be bearing - though that's more likely to be a rumble than a squeak -, could even be a spot of belt-slippage...
any suggestions of what I can do to eliminate it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gbhsi1:Andrew Everard:Could be motor, could be bearing - though that's more likely to be a rumble than a squeak -, could even be a spot of belt-slippage...
any suggestions of what I can do to eliminate it?

Well, a new belt is never a bad idea if you've had the turntable a while and use it a lot. Other than that, a call to the distributor or supplying retailer would be in order for some advice if more serious work is needed. Could be that the main bearing needs some oil, but the distributor should be able to advise on what kind, how much, and cleaning out the old stuff.

A

Anonymous

You could try removing the belt and turning the platter manually and if the squeak persists you will eliminate the motor from being the culprit and you could consantrate on the bearing as Andrew says.........

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
H. A tad vague in your 'squeak' explanation. Are you saying that it is always audible when the platter is spinning or is it just on start up ?

If tis the latter then its prolly just the motor having a little groan as it comes under loading, this isnt uncommon in many TT motors. Also if this is the case then giving the platter a spin with your finger then hitting the motor start button helps take some of the initial inertia out of the equation.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid:
H. A tad vague in your 'squeak' explanation. Are you saying that it is always audible when the platter is spinning or is it just on start up ?

If tis the latter then its prolly just the motor having a little groan as it comes under loading, this isnt uncommon in many TT motors. Also if this is the case then giving the platter a spin with your finger then hitting the motor start button helps take some of the initial inertia out of the equation.

Yeah, it's during start up- it's not much of a problem but I thought it could be something starting to give way. Probably nothing at this point :)I will try spinning the platter first

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
gbhsi1:floyd droid:

Yeah, it's during start up- it's not much of a problem but I thought it could be something starting to give way. Probably nothing at this point :)I will try spinning the platter first

Rega recommend this to reduce strain on the motor

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts