Problem with Sky Box

dryan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
After all the recent bad weather, my sky box is continually playing up, i can;t get BBC 1 or HD and a few other channels even when i reboot it, talking to sky techies was a waste of time i ended up losing more channels, best of all i'm a few months out of warranty so they want to stick me with a servie call out. Has anyone else had this issue?

A

Anonymous

The symptoms you describe are well known and there is a very effective fix.

Provided your box is manufactured by Thompson, the problem in 99% of cases is caused by very poor quality capacitors installed.

There is a very effective fix provided by www.digifixltd.co.uk/powersupplyrepair.html who will install a SatCure upgrade kit for around £30.

Read their web-site for a more detailed description and all will become clear.

The name of the manufacturer is on a label on the bottom of your SkyBox.

Bob.

A

Anonymous

What's that you say Dryan ?

Thanks ?

Oh, don't mention it..................

dryan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Bob only saw your reply today... that's great i'm going out of my mind rebooting it and then switching off the LNB etc.... not getting all my HD channels...grrrr....

A

Anonymous

Hi Dryan,

I suggest that you read the Digifix website which I have quoted in an earlier post, particularly the bit relating to a failing power supply unit (PSU) and then phone Michael Dranfield on 01298 - 73989 who is an acknowledged expert on SkyBoxes.

I should point out that I have no connection to DigiFix other than as a satisfied customer who had the same faults with my SkyBox as you are having.

The problem is widespread (and basically caused by cheap and nasty capacitors fitted when new) but the fix is out there if you know where to look!

By the way, don't fall into the trap of having a home visit from a Sky engineer.

They will only replace your box with a re-furbished item, not a new one, and you will only repeat the problems in a few months time!

Bob.

daveh75

I agree with willieeckslyke,that Thomson boxes suffer from failing psu's,due to the poor quality component's used(its well documented fact) and could show the symptoms you're experiencing.

However that doesn't mean it's a 100% certainty that this is your issue!!!

Dish mis-alignment,a failing/faulty LNB, faulty/damaged cabling or even RFI from Dect phones, wireless broadband routers etc,etc could also show the same symptoms.

Have we even confirmed it is a Thomson box?

So before rushing out for a PSU upgrade,firstly i'd try and beg,borrow or steal another Sky box from friends/family for a few days and see if the problem persists.

If the problem doesn't persist then you can eliminate the above,and it's likely a problem with your Sky box.

If the problem does persist, then it's likely to be another cause......

dryan

Jan 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, i'm at a loss to explain the fault finding as everyday i have to go into the LNB setting and switch them to off and then reboot the box put them back on and then reboot again, I've got no interference as router is in the hall way. there is a firm near me called Sussex aerials who maybe able to shed some light on it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts