Problem with Forums

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Morning folks

Apologies for those of you who tried to log on to the site after 7pm last night and couldn't do so – we had a major problem with the Forums part of the site, but this has now been fixed and is up and running again. So please rejoin us!

A

Anonymous

Thought it was my computer at 1st!

Thanks for letting us know you have got it fixed.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
chebby:Give the IT bloke a stiff talking to.

Don't worry chebby, have done already!
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

Andy Clough:It was "an issue with our database instance" apparently, which cleared on a restart.

You don't use Adabas do you?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:It was "an issue with our database instance" apparently, which cleared on a restart.

Ah that would explain a lot, the server was still pinging and I could telnet to port 80, so I knew the server was still up. Seems to be a bit more responsive now as well, although that might just be my imagination.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
raym87:

Nah, we prefer Nike
emotion-5.gif

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:raym87:

Nah, we prefer Nike
emotion-5.gif

I like it Clare haha

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jase fox:I thought it was my computer aswell playing up, im going to have to apologise to my pc now as i did call it some foul names that i couldnt repeat on here....

Why would it be your computer (or even your ISP) if all the other websites you use were working ok. (Other areas of WHF like news and reviews were also working.)

Please don't tell me you never use other websites, or even check other areas of this one
emotion-1.gif

nads

there are still problems with other parts of the site it seems

http://whathifi.com/errors/default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Video/Discover-networked-media/Vidcasts/Video/Discover-networked-media/Vidcasts/

jase fox

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
jase fox:I thought it was my computer aswell playing up, im going to have to apologise to my pc now as i did call it some foul names that i couldnt repeat on here....

Why would it be your computer (or even your ISP) if all the other websites are working ok. (Other areas of WHF like news and reviews were also working.)

Please don't tell me you never use other websites, or even check other areas of this one
emotion-1.gif

Here comes Chebby with his simple solutions as always, what would we do without you eh?...

Yes i do use other websites (nudge nudge) & yes they were fine, but? I still thought it was the PC sowwy Chebby...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
nads:
there are still problems with other parts of the site it seems

http://whathifi.com/errors/default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Video/Discover-networked-media/Vidcasts/Video/Discover-networked-media/Vidcasts/

There are regular problems all over the site here and there....

http://whathifi.com/errors/default.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/Search/Forums/primare/Search/Forums/primare/

That is example of the forum search that regularly (though intermittently) fails. Especially when you try to use the 'date' button to search by most recent for a keyword.

The reviews section regularly claps out when you use the 'next' button within a sub-category.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:raym87:

Nah, we prefer Nike
emotion-5.gif

OK....I asked for that one.......
emotion-10.gif

John Duncan

chebby:That is example of the forum search that regularly (though intermittently) fails. Especially when you try to use the 'date' button to search by most recent for a keyword.

That was fixed last week. Did you have that URL saved up?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:chebby:That is example of the forum search that regularly (though intermittently) fails. Especially when you try to use the 'date' button to search by most recent for a keyword.

That was fixed last week. Did you have that URL saved up?

No. I just used it then to check

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Search Forums for Primare working fine, as is sorting those results by date

As I said, it is intermittent. It did not work 15 minutes ago (or whenever it exactly was that I did the search earlier).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:and I could telnet to port 80.

Do you watch a lot of Star Trek?

the_lhc:Seems to be a bit more responsive now as well

Yes, the site's cornering much better now, and the acceleration is improved, too

the_lhc:although that might just be my imagination.

PlacidoDomingo
effect, probably...

John Duncan

chebby:
Andrew Everard:Search Forums for Primare working fine, as is sorting those results by date

As I said, it is intermittent. It did not work 15 minutes ago (or whenever it exactly was that I did the search earlier).

Don't worry, I believe you, but I think it's a cacheing problem somewhere as I take it you didn't happen to have that bookmarked (though obviously I could see how somebody would have Primare on their favourites
emotion-5.gif
). The construction of that URL (with the erroneous doubling up of the string 'search/forums') was how the problem was manifesting itself, the fix for which went live last week.

Firstly, you're on Mac/Safari aren't you Chebby? And is it you who clears out your internet cache on exit or am I misremembering?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I am currently on Firefox on my XP Pro laptop. (Latest Firefox, latest SP3 updates)

Yes, my Firefox is cleared of all cookies/cache/temp files etc. automatically at the end of every session.

That URL was exactly what I got on a search for Primare (first word I thought of when you came to mind) at that time.

It works now but was a genuine error when I wrote earlier. (I don't have time to go around hordeing old URLs for failed forum searches!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts