Probably an obvious question about Ortofon 2M stylus.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is probably a stupid question, fairly new to Hi-Fi, but I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon which I am very happy with at the moment, but I think I the stylus is coming to the end of it's life. I was thinking of buying the 2M Blue stylus as a replacement for the stock 2M red which was fitted when purchased. My question is about replacement: do I simply need to buy a replacement 2M Blue needle, and this will pop straight on to the cartridge once I take off the 2M red needle, or will I have to buy a new blue cartidge all together? Does the colour matter at all, or because they are both from the 2M series, all I need to do is take one off and then place the new needle on?

Sorry, if this is really obvious, but I don't want to mess it up and ruin my records.

Thanks for you help.

D

Deleted member 108165

Fujee said:
Hi everyone,

This is probably a stupid question, fairly new to Hi-Fi, but I have a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon which I am very happy with at the moment, but I think I the stylus is coming to the end of it's life. I was thinking of buying the 2M Blue stylus as a replacement for the stock 2M red which was fitted when purchased. My question is about replacement: do I simply need to buy a replacement 2M Blue needle, and this will pop straight on to the cartridge once I take off the 2M red needle, or will I have to buy a new blue cartidge all together? Does the colour matter at all, or because they are both from the 2M series, all I need to do is take one off and then place the new needle on?

Sorry, if this is really obvious, but I don't want to mess it up and ruin my records.

Thanks for you help.

Nice upgrade 2M Red to Blue *good*

You are quite correct, no cartridge replacement required, stylus only. Remove the old stylus by getting your finger nail behind a ridge that runs between stylus and cart and lever it off. Fitting - just push the new stylus onto the cart, (keep the stylus guard in place until fitted), really easy.

2M Red and Blue share a common cartridge, the 2M Bronze and Black share an upgraded common cartridge but stylus fitment is identical for both carts so you can have any combination of cart/stylus you want - a Red stylus on a Bronze cart or a Black stylus on a Red Cart. Obviously you wouldn't get the full spec out of a Black stylus fitted to a Red cart but it can be done.

iMark

Fujee said:
Thanks a lot, that was just the answer I needed, I will be purchasing a 2M Blue very soon then!

Hi Fujee,

We have this upgrade in the back of our minds once our 2M Red has worn. Could you let us know what you think of it after using it for a while?

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Of course, I will let you know. I heard the difference is rather significant. I was considering the Bronze, but I think if I were to get that, I would rather get a new TT all together :)

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Fujee,

We have this upgrade in the back of our minds once our 2M Red has worn. Could you let us know what you think of it after using it for a while?

It's a very worthwhile, value for money upgrade - do it before the Red wears out, you wont regret it! (And can keep the Red as a backup).

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've just upgraded to the red on my Project Debut and have to say I'm very impressed... But I would probably want to upgrade the TT before spending much more on a cartridge...

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Around 20 years ago, my first proper bit of kit was a Planar 3, which I believe was the forerunner of the RP3. It was a really fantastic turntable.

I've started the long process of saving for an expensive turntable (expensive for me anyway) which will then be the last I buy!

Looking forward to hearing your impression of the Blue....

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Which is why I've decided to go for the Blue instead of the Bronze. If I was seriously considering the Bronze, I would just got for a new TT altogether, maybe a Rega RP3.

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I really like the RP series by Rega, but then I am biased as I love most of their products anyway, especially their amplifiers.

What TT are you saving for Chris?

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
Not too sure.... I reckon I'll go to 2k and then just listen to as many as possible... I've always loved the look of the Gyro but never heard one. I won't be buying a plain rectangle!

Fujee

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Had the blue for a while now, and I must say the difference is significant. So much more room and clarity for each instrument and the tracking is very good. Overall, very impressed and pleased with the upgrade.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It can sometimes be a bit tricky, so we have produced a video on how to change a stylus.

Hope this helps

https://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/Changing-A-Stylus-Video-c734

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts