Proac studio 110 vs Dynaudio focus110 and others

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey everyone! Following on from my previous thread (miniature vs larger standmounts) and Craig M's 600-1000 standmounts I eventually demoed the proac studio 110 against the dynaudio focus 110 today. I also had a listen to the proac response1sc a couple of weeks ago. Well it was a relatively quick audition as i've got the proacs at home now for a longer audition but thought i'd share my thoughts on what i heard :). First off the Proac studio110. Theses speakers are fast. Tonal balance definitely in favour of the treble (Which Craig M also noted), the music positively projects from the speakers in an almost show off manner. This is what i call immediate and exciting sound! Is the treble excessive?? mmmmmm i don't know but back to that later. The Dynaudios are definititely not short of punch. Immediately i noticed the tonal balance here was more even. No treble shine here at all with more than competant bass underpinning the music. Rhythm was tight. However i was relatively unmoved for some reason. I think maybe they are the more consistent throughout the freq range but less 'standout' as a result. Maybe they would suit those who want a really balanced sound (? refined).Not sure. Anyway based on these observations i've got the proacs at home now and further listening (about 3hours only so far!) I have to say i really am falling for these studios. The electronics (primare pre/power, cd21) seem to suit better the speakers than the Roksans i heard at demo (slightly more balanced but still slightly favaouring treble tone). Bass weight etc excellent and transients razor sharp. I think they complement the primares 'smooth' sound well provinding that 'edge'. Having heard these i've discounted the response1sc ( more detail and better imaging but small box sound doesn't suit me). Im going to continue annoying the neigbours this week before either taking the plunge or taking the dynaudios home for a demo. we'll see!!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JAXON5"]I have to say i really am falling for these studios[/quote]

Very good speakers. You probably wont regret buying them. Most other speakers in that price range apart from Rega/Epos will sound either clogged, muddled or slow after that.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="JAXON5"]I have to say i really am falling for these studios[/quote]

Very good speakers. You probably wont regret buying them. Most other speakers in that price range apart from Rega/Epos will sound either clogged, muddled or slow after that.
[/quote]

I think you're right. switching to and fro from my B+W 602s3 i couldn't believe the detail i was missing. muddled? it was like removing ear plugs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Its the speaker I use at present in my main system Jaxon5. I've replaced them twice since I bought them but never sold them. Luckily. I just had two classy bookshelf speakers at home over the weekend to play with and still would'nt change them.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Its the speaker I use at present in my main system Jaxon5. I've replaced them twice since I bought them but never sold them. Luckily. I just had two classy bookshelf speakers at home over the weekend to play with and still would'nt change them.
[/quote]

Great to know DM. Great thing is, should i decide to buy them ( it's looking that way) i don't have to return them until the new ones arrive :- )

A

Anonymous

Apparently they go down to 33Hz, impressive even by floorstander standards. I can imagine that they provide a pleasing speed compared to floorstanders though. Enjoy them, nothing like a new pair of speakers! Bliss...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]Apparently they go down to 33Hz, impressive even by floorstander standards. I can imagine that they provide a pleasing speed compared to floorstanders though. Enjoy them, nothing like a new pair of speakers! Bliss...[/quote]

cheers Igglebert!! my face hurts from grinning all day........ ;-)

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
How much are the ProAcs, if you don't mind me asking? I think you'll find the Dyns less sensitive and dryer; they do need a lot of watts up 'em to shine.

A

Anonymous

not at all gpi. they will set me back 775 pounds. the dyn 110 950. i was willing to go up to 1200 max. so saved a few hundred! The Dyns were impressive but just didn't get me 'excited'. Bass was a bit deeper i think even though like Craig M i found the rhythm across the range easier to latch on to twith the Proacs . Definitely sharper to my ears. The size (38, 24,20) was also more what i was looking for. (dyn 110: 173 x 305 x 285). Good point re: sensitivity. i think my preference was a matter of taste here really. This has been my first foray into speaker upgrade and i found the speed and agility of the proacs staggering vs what i had been used to.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that info. The Dyns must have gone up in price because I have a HFC review of them as part of a group test and they were £850 just 12 months ago. As you favour the ProAc Studio 110 you are bound to fall for the Studio 100 too, but at £1k they are quite a bit more to invest in. What finish will you go for if you decide to buy them and which stands do you have?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="gpi"]Thanks for that info. The Dyns must have gone up in price because I have a HFC review of them as part of a group test and they were £850 just 12 months ago. As you favour the ProAc Studio 110 you are bound to fall for the Studio 100 too, but at £1k they are quite a bit more to invest in. What finish will you go for if you decide to buy them and which stands do you have?[/quote]

Yeah the Dyns (across the whole range) have had a price hike a/c to the dealer. Regarding the studio 100s, they were in fact the ones i had my eyes on first but i've been told numerous times that they'd sound too thin with the primares so i quickly knocked that one on the head (that and the fact i'd have to travel a fair distance to audtion them). have you heard them??? I'll be going for the Maple finish (warmer than i thought, almost oak like, definitely not cream like in some pics) and they will be going on some stands yet to be purchased ( as soon as i've moved). (forgive me that one!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts