Proac Studio 110 mirrored tweeter question

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am able to buy a pair of Proac Studio 110 but it seems the seller has mixed his pairs of Studio 110's (he had 3 pair from a surround setup). According to the Proac leaflet, the Studio 110 has a "Mirror offset image". I think this means that a pair of Studio 110's has 1 speaker with the tweeter on the left (bas reflex on the right) and one on the right (bas reflex on the left). The pair i am able to buy both have the tweeter on the left.

Since i am not able to compare this pair with a 'normal' pair, i would like to know if there will be much difference in sound between a 'normal' pair and this pair?

A

Anonymous

Then , your dealer made a mistake ..

He should have given you two different speakers, like shown in the link.

davemartin01

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Personally I would not be happy with not getting mirrored tweeters as hf is quite directional unlike bass and they are offset to eachother for a reason, to balance the stereo effect more evenly. Whether it is audible enough to tell I don't know but that niggle in the back of the mind is enough to put me off!!

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
daspaceman:

Then , your dealer made a mistake ..

He should have given you two different speakers, like shown in the link.

It is not a dealer who sells this used pair of Studio 110. Do you think this will have some influence on the sound?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
davemartin01:Personally I would not be happy with not
getting mirrored tweeters as hf is quite directional unlike bass and
they are offset to eachother for a reason, to balance the stereo effect
more evenly. Whether it is audible enough to tell I don't know but that
niggle in the back of the mind is enough to put me off!!

I completely understand what you are saying.
emotion-5.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I can't really imagine that a tweeter being a few inches away from where it should be would make any difference, apart from not looking perfect. If you're gonna keep the grilles on and you're getting a big discount, then i'd go for it.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would get them changed - where the tweeter is placed has a huge affect on the sound. The tweeters should be on the inside - if you change them to the outside, they just don't sound right.

Don't accept a non mirrored pair.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:
I would get them changed - where the tweeter is placed has a huge affect on the sound. The tweeters should be on the inside - if you change them to the outside, they just don't sound right.

Thanks for the advice.

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I experimented with my 140's with the tweeter inside and outside if you know what I mean. They do sound better inside. This is what ProAc recommend as well.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Andy H:I experimented with my 140's with the tweeter inside and outside if you know what I mean. They do sound better inside. This is what ProAc recommend as well.

Yes I agree. Even if you get a generous discount, best to get the right pairing or else in the long term it's going to frustrate you.

A

Anonymous

Factoid - when I auditioned some Proac speakers I was told that you don't need to toe them in due to the offset tweeters.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Exactly, once I made a mistake and swapped the position of both proac speakers. The sound is very different/off set.. incredible.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Factoid - when I auditioned some Proac speakers I was told that you don't need to toe them in due to the offset tweeters.

You`re wrong, the manual insists that the proAC speakers are toed in to the extent that both sides of the speakers on the left&right are not visible from the listening position. When toed that way, the speakers sound at their best.. Tried and tested.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The person who is selling the Proac Studio 110 speakers is going to try to get a mirrored pair. It seems he sold the first pair also not mirrored. He is now trying to swap 1 speaker.
emotion-2.gif

Thanks everybody for the good advice!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts