Pro-Ject Genie Turntable Help Please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm new to this forum and hoped that I migth be able to get some help regarding the Pro-ject Genie turntable.

Yesterday i bought this turntable, however it was ex-display and had a couple of bits missing (such as the power and phono connects which i am due to pick up from the store next week).

Yesterday i set it up as directed in the manual, so that when i collect the missing parts for it, it will be ready to go. When i set it up i noticed that there is quite a noticeable gap between the hole in triangular-style chassis part and the motor that fits inbetween this hole in the chassis (prob about 2-3mm). I appreciate that the motor is supposed to be seperate for sound quality purposes, however it isnt very stable when the other part of the turntable rests on this and surely if the motor is not placed centrally inbetween the chassis hole then when the drive belt is on then it will affect the speed at which the record plays slightly?

If anyone has one of these, then please can you advise if this sounds similar to yours or if i have another part missing (it doesnt appear so from the manual).

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for your help Andrew. I just wanted to be re-assured that this was 'normal' for this product, as i mentioned previously it doesnt feel quite right on this part of the turntable (although i dont expect miracles for £125!)

Cheers

A

Anonymous

i was in sevenoaks yesterday and they advised me not to buy a genie just now.They have sold fifteen and all fifteen have been returned with faults. Apparently there is a design flaw and they have all been sent back to project to be fixed.Basically, and please excuse the fact that i dont know the specific names of the parts, the section that the tone arm is attached to is only glued to the base and in every one sold it has detached. Project are having to screw it back on.

A

Anonymous

The motor does have quite a sizeable gap on the Project Debut III. Just screw it in before transit though!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]i was in sevenoaks yesterday and they advised me not to buy a genie just now.They have sold fifteen and all fifteen have been returned with faults. Apparently there is a design flaw and they have all been sent back to project to be fixed.Basically, and please excuse the fact that i dont know the specific names of the parts, the section that the tone arm is attached to is only glued to the base and in every one sold it has detached. Project are having to screw it back on.[/quote]

News to us, I think - anyone else had this problem with the armboard coming loose?

A

Anonymous

I was in sevenoaks yesterday and they advised me not to buy a genie just now.They said they have sold fifteen and all fifteen have been returned with faults. Apparently there is a design flaw and they have all been sent back to project to be fixed.Basically, and please excuse the fact that i dont know the specific names of the parts, the section that the tone arm is attached to is only glued to the base and in every one sold it has detached. Project are having to screw them back on.Anyone bought one and had this problem?

matthewpiano

I had one of these on order but it was taking so long to source that I cancelled, deciding instead to go for something more expensive (I'm currently awaiting a Michell). Sounds like I made the right decision, but at least Pro-ject are taking the issue seriously. Not all manufacturers do!

matthewpiano

Actually, this could just be Sevenoaks avoiding having lots of customers waiting for this unit. When I ordered one, Henley Designs were desperately struggling to get stock into the country. It really isn't a very easy item to get hold of and I, for one, couldn't wait longer than the month I had already been patient for.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="matthewpiano"]Actually, this could just be Sevenoaks avoiding having lots of customers waiting for this unit. When I ordered one, Henley Designs were desperately struggling to get stock into the country. It really isn't a very easy item to get hold of and I, for one, couldn't wait longer than the month I had already been patient for.[/quote]

could be, but as its a guy i have known well for years i would hope he would be honest.

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
For what it's worth there has not been any branch of Sevenoaks that has returned 15 Genies. There was, however, an issue where approx. 6% of tone arms were displaced in transit where the packaging was knocked against the side of the arm but this only occured during the initial transit to the dealer due to an automated hub being used by our courier.

The problem was rectified immediately for the next shipment but, due to demand, we were unable to source sufficient stock to keep dealers supplied. unfortunately this did cause a little discomfort for some dealers but we tried to deliver as much product as possible prior to Christmas.

Manufacturing is now up to capacity and supplies will be steady and plentiful with quality at its normal high level.

If the above poster knows different then I would love to know more. There's no conspiracy and nothing to hide.

Laurence Armstrong, Managing Director, Henley Designs, 01235 511166, lja@henleydesigns.co.uk

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
It's not that often I get to post, running a business and all that, but we do have an open contact policy and welcome calls and mails from customers. feel free...

A

Anonymous

It's also a shame that a hi fi chain should tell me a load of cr*p in, what seems now, an attempt to get me to spend more money!

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]It's also a shame that a hi fi chain should tell me a load of cr*p in, what seems now, an attempt to get me to spend more money![/quote]

The shortage did cause quite a bit of "stress" for some dealers so we have to allow some lattitude. We have moved production (actually moved heaven and earth!) to resolve the issue and are totally happy with the end result. We can only promise to do everything possible in the future but we are human.

Signing off as I don't want to hijack the thread.

A

Anonymous

cheers for that laurence. I only want a turntable for very occasional listening to my 80's vinyl and the genie seemed ideal. glad to know i can order one without worrying bits might fall off!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts