Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC (amongst others)

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking to invest in a new turntable and I have a budget of around £1000 (preferably not any more).

My current favourite is the Clearaudio Concept MM based on reviews, and ease of setup etc. The Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC is also in the same price range, but I can't find any reviews on it. Does anyone have any experience with this turntable?

I have a Technics SL-DL1, have done for the best part of 25 years, but haven't paid too much attention to the current market, so there are probably some other recommendations out there too for my current budget.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Robin

Welcome to the forum Robin.

I think that, for the budget you may have listed the two I would choose especially if you prefer ease of setup. I could mention the Analogue Works Turntable 1 but this would be more expensive if you add various options and you'd have to budget for and fit your own cartridge.

When it comes to the two you mention I would suggest that (I believe) only the Project comes with an acrylic dust cover. I'd strongly suggest you budget for one to fit over the Clearaudio if you go for this option.

I have not heard the Project you mention but if its anything like the rest of their range it should be very good. The only reservation I would have here if the cartridge they fit, having said that it is a step up from trhe Ortofon Red that most manufacturers fit to a TT of this price.

Can you get to audition either or both of these?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I've owned my Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl for a year now, and mine came with the 2M Blue cartridge option. I think I must have bought mine just before a price increase as I see that they are anywhere between £150-£250 more these days.

I'm more than happy with my deck. Dead simple set-up, lovely arm, and a dust lid (which comes as standard with the Pro-Ject) is an absolute must for any TT in my opinion.

I cannot compare it with any other similarly priced turntables, but I can vouch for the quality of the product. By the way I bought mine from Analogue Seduction who I can thoroughly recommend.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The reason you haven't read a review yet is that one hasn't been written, for the simple reason that the only 2SB to come to the UK is in the possession of Henley Designs who demonstrated it at Bristol a couple of weeks ago. It's not due in the shops for another couple of weeks.

I heard it, as well as (in adjoining rooms), the Xtension 9 Superpack and the Xtension 10. While I really liked the 10, the total cost with a Quintet cartridge would be about £3k, and it does look a bit big! I wasn't crazy about the sound in the 9 room, but that was probably down to the Unison Research valves they had there - not to my taste.

The much simpler system in the 2SB room - new Roksan K3 amp, Project phono stage, AE Reference One speakers - sounded sublime, effortless, very musical and looked great. I then applied the 15% offer to the price and it was a bit of a no-brainer as I just fancied a change of t/t. It comes with a silver-wired 2M cartridge and clamp (though for ease of LP changeover the guy in the dem room didn't use it. A young couple was listening and the woman said 'it sounds like they're playing in the room'. So there you go!

Do yourself a favour and check the marantz tt15s1 out, it is made by Clearaudio, it comes with a clearaudio arm, cartridge, and acrylic plinth and platter with massive upgraded feet. I bought one recently, brand new from the Netherlands (online) for 925 quid. It is an absolute bargain. Uk price is around 1500.

Mine is posted in the forum, so you can have a look.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/cleaner-looking-setup

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
All,

Many thanks for your input.

@al ears. Of course, I hadn't considered the lid being an extra cost, and I see that the Clearaudio costs £150 for one so that may well push that one beyond the budget. Not sure how I would listen to either of these turntables as my local stockists in Preston don't have them in.

@DIB Thanks for the feedback on Analogue Seduction. I see they have the 2SB for just over £1k so I will definitely consider.

@bigfish786 What site did you buy the marantz tt15s1 from? £1500 is definitely beyond budget, but I could attend Netherlands prices. Your setup looks smart BTW.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Regards,
Robin

jacobmorrison

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Just to add my own experience with the pro-ject, I had my own 2xperience with the lid on for a year and dust still gets in through the gaps at the bottom. Pro-Ject recommend that their turntables be used without the lid and I think it looks better without anyway. As long as you're happy to clean it regularly I wouldn't class the lid as an essential.

jacobmorrison said:
Just to add my own experience with the pro-ject, I had my own 2xperience with the lid on for a year and dust still gets in through the gaps at the bottom. Pro-Ject recommend that their turntables be used without the lid and I think it looks better without anyway. As long as you're happy to clean it regularly I wouldn't class the lid as an essential.

Do you have your set up in a sterile laboratory? Either that or you must have a good record cleaning machine. :)

Dust is the killer of LPs and cartridges. I do consider a lid (to be removed whilst actually playing) an essential and was one of the first thing I bought after getting my TT (although mine completely covers the TT).

Each to their own but in the long run I feel it only saves a lot of grief as it also saves little fingers getting anywhere near that nice new stylus. :)

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
A Rega RP6?

Simple set-up, comes with cartridge pre-fitted - £898. If you want to go slightly over budget you can buy the £200 TT-PSU which gives you push button changing between 33 & 45rpm. Or you could spend the £100 on a couple of different TT mats to see what you like, or just buy some more music.

Then, if you feel the urge, you can get into all the after market upgrades...or leave it completely stock and enjoy it's natural sound.

Oh, and with regard to a dustcover... I don't use one either. I live in a normal house and have no issue with dust - a quick flick with a duster on the platter, and making sure I use the stylus guard whenever I'm not listening - no problems at all!

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
All,

Thanks again for the feedback. Current advice seem to be:

Clearaudio Concept MM - £995 (dusk cover sold seperately)

Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC - £1050

Marantz TT-15S1 - £860 (If bought in Europe, delivery costs to consider, will it travel well)

Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl - £700 (as above, why are TT's so much more expensive in the UK?)

Rega RP6 (£1000+ with Rega Exact cartridge fitted)

I've also come across the Dual CS 600 from Germany that looks nice. Anybody any ideas about this?

Again, many thanks for you time.

Regards

Robin

hybridauth_Twitter_506075901 said:
All,

Thanks again for the feedback. Current advice seem to be:

Clearaudio Concept MM - £995 (dusk cover sold seperately)

Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC - £1050

Marantz TT-15S1 - £860 (If bought in Europe, delivery costs to consider, will it travel well)

Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl - £700 (as above, why are TT's so much more expensive in the UK?)

Rega RP6 (£1000+ with Rega Exact cartridge fitted)

I've also come across the Dual CS 600 from Germany that looks nice. Anybody any ideas about this?

Again, many thanks for you time.

Regards

Robin

Well we've narrowed it down a bit then Robin. :)

Turntables like everything else hifi related always cost more in the UK because we are mug enough to pay those prices.

I'd be careful buying large items from abroad in case you get stung for import duty.

I didn't mention the RP6 because I felt this is a great turntable let down by it's cartridge and you wanted a complete package. Come to it most of these systems are plagued by their cartridges because this way they keep initial costs down but all those listed are quite able to take a significant upgrade on the cartridge front. I know most people will ultimately do this anyway but it would be nice to see models in this sort of price range come fitted with slightly better cartridges in the first instance as they are not exactly 'entrance level' affairs.

I still thing either of the first two on your list are the best bet. Which to you like the look of best...... ?? Both will do an equally good job with any vinyl you care to throw on them.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Come to it most of these systems are plagued by their cartridges because this way they keep initial costs down but all those listed are quite able to take a significant upgrade on the cartridge front. I know most people will ultimately do this anyway but it would be nice to see models in this sort of price range come fitted with slightly better cartridges in the first instance as they are not exactly 'entrance level' affairs.

As I said in my first post (and I seem to be the only person here who's heard the 2SB!), the Project 2SB works superbly well as a package, ao you wouldn't necessarily need to upgrade for a while. Those Ortofon 2M carts are really very good (as are the Quintets).

This comes packaged beautifully, you will have no problem at all importing one. There's a YouTube video showing how to assemble it, it is very easy.

I take it you found some sites selling it in Europe? I think I paid 35 euro for delivery.

jerry klinger said:
Al ears said:
Come to it most of these systems are plagued by their cartridges because this way they keep initial costs down but all those listed are quite able to take a significant upgrade on the cartridge front. I know most people will ultimately do this anyway but it would be nice to see models in this sort of price range come fitted with slightly better cartridges in the first instance as they are not exactly 'entrance level' affairs.

As I said in my first post (and I seem to be the only person here who's heard the 2SB!), the Project 2SB works superbly well as a package, ao you wouldn't necessarily need to upgrade for a while. Those Ortofon 2M carts are really very good (as are the Quintets).

Whilst I am not disputing the fact that you may be the only person here to have heard the 2SB I was saying that, I have heard Ortofons cartridges (Red / Silver, whatever) and personally I do not rate cheap Ortofons and never have, there are better cartridges available for trhe money. (The Quintets, particularly the Bronze are another matter but these are never fitted to turntables in this price bracket). I always suggested the OP's go and audition for themselves but in instances where this appears not to be possibe I feel the need to make them aware of the nature of these 'ready built' kits.

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
.... seem like a minefield in themselves. Tbh I'll probably start with the stock one in whichever TT I get.

I've asked if I'm able to audition any of the following in my local hi fi stores Audio-T and Richer sounds in Preston, and Tower Audio in Blackpool. Don't know what my chances will be?

Clearaudio Concept MM
Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB DC
Marantz TT-15S1
Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acryl
Rega RP6
Dual CS 600

We'll see how I fair, but I imagine recommendations will have to do on some of them.

We've got a dog and children in our house, so a dust cover is a must really.

Kind regards,

Robin

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
To be fair, until the recent dramatic change in exchange rate, the UK was the cheapest market in Europe for Pro-Ject and is now roughly on a par. Don't be confused between models as there is quite a difference between the 2 Xperience and the Xperience SB. We also have quite a few packages that are unique to the UK, giving our customers value that cannot be equalled by our EU counterparts. It is always our intent to offer the greatest value possible and we will never raise prices artificially.

bebelacus

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Had the same problem. Tried RP3 then decided to stretch more and choose between Clearaudio Concept and RP6. loved the look of Concept, loved the sound but then i tried the RP6. Whathifi was right. Dont buy anything else at this price before trying RP6 first. With Exact cartridge and Tt-psu. Sound was more musical, fuller, more rounded. There may be better cartridges for RP6 but you can live with factory fitted Exact for the rest of your life. Sounds so musical. My wife loves the sound and she had no interest in hifi music until then.
Go try them both then decide. I use it via a Micromega mygroove phono to Audiolab 8200cdq,, Audiolab 8200M power smps and Wharfede Jade 5 speakers. And it looks fanntastic in gloss green. Oh, it has a acryl dust cover included in the package.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts