Private messaging?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys am I the only who has ever wondered why there is no private messaging facility on here?

I understand you don't want to encourage spammers but surely the likelihood of that could be diminished by only allowing any given forum member to gain access to pm once they have posted x amount?

idc

Its so I can't get in touch with Lysette Anthony anymore...........
emotion-9.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:It's not a priority for the site at the moment.

I understand it not being a 'priority', but it would certainly be useful to some members.

Lets say someone was interested in a new mains cable but for fear of being shouted down by the 'anti cable league' they decide against posting.

At least theyd be able to pm someone they know who might be able to help them yes?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
That sounds omenous...

omen_priest.jpg

Nice one!

Whilst many might feel PM's are a good thing, they're also bad. Another forum allows it and its just a free for all for the unscrupulous retailers to PM for business (against the rules). If something like this goes ahead, I'd disable it for retailers - forum members know how to get in touch with retailers, but retailers shouldn't need to get in touch with forum members. Most genuine conversations can be had out in the open.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
I've been a member of a gaming forum now for well over ten years and we have private messaging on there without any problems...... what is the problem in having private messaging on here then as I don't understand ? (we never ever got any problems)

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
John Duncan said:
That sounds omenous...

omen_priest.jpg

Nice one!

Whilst many might feel PM's are a good thing, they're also bad. Another forum allows it and its just a free for all for the unscrupulous retailers to PM for business (against the rules). If something like this goes ahead, I'd disable it for retailers - forum members know how to get in touch with retailers, but retailers shouldn't need to get in touch with forum members. Most genuine conversations can be had out in the open.

There has to be a pretty easy way of preventing spam rubbish tbh.... all you do is allow private messaging between signed-up forum members ?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Alantiggger said:
I've been a member of a gaming forum now for well over ten years and we have private messaging on there without any problems...... what is the problem in having private messaging on here then as I don't understand ? (we never ever got any problems)

But what will a retailer be able to trade on a forum like that? Games are relatively cheap - equipment is much more expensive, and as I say, it isn't permitted for retailers to sell in this way even on forums that do have a PM system. It'll just open up the floodgates for those types of dealers, some of whom may well be members but not known to the forum as such. If they can sell this way, why do they need to pay WHF for advertising?

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Alantiggger said:

But what will a retailer be able to trade on a forum like that? Games are relatively cheap - equipment is much more expensive, and as I say, it isn't permitted for retailers to sell in this way even on forums that do have a PM system. It'll just open up the floodgates for those types of dealers, some of whom may well be members but not known to the forum as such. If they can sell this way, why do they need to pay WHF for advertising?

Lol, yeah you are so right ... forgot that with our own game forum set-up nothing is for sale... appologies....I do indeed stand corrected... tbh I never even thought that out so well....(sigh) hehe.

Thanks man :)

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
There would have to be a facility for blocking messages from individual members (spam/unsolicited selling etc), however sometimes on here the mob rule effect means you can't conversate with a like-minded individual without creating pages of arguments

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
In a parallel existance I'm on another forum for a completely unrelated hobby which is at least ten times busier than this forum, its users are both consumers and traders yet spam-selling by traders via PM just doesn't happen. Traders who did that would be banned, their reputation would be harmed, and besides it just isn't in the forum 'culture'. While there's obviously as risk, in reality I can't see why it would be any different on here in practise, on a forum for a minority-interest hobby which isn't even nearly as busy.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
In a parallel existance I'm on another forum for a completely unrelated hobby which is at least ten times busier than this forum, its users are both consumers and traders yet spam-selling by traders via PM just doesn't happen. Traders who did that would be banned, their reputation would be harmed, and besides it just isn't in the forum 'culture'. While there's obviously as risk, in reality I can't see why it would be any different on here in practise, on a forum for a minority-interest hobby which isn't even nearly as busy.

+1

I think the forum members would be the first to report that behavement!

I'm a member for two years in this forum and the members are the first to point out if somethings is out of line!

Best REGArds

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts