Primare I30 and CD31 OR FMJ A38 and CD37? You decide....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The question is simply should i buy the Primare I30 and CD31 OR the Arcam FMJ A38 and CD37??? I listen to rock/metal. They both sound good to me..... has anyone any opinion on this?

A

Anonymous

Neither, but not Cyrus.
I'd have the Primare over the Arcam if forced because it looks better and has some grunt. The CDP is too slow in the bass to be a long-term keeper for me, but otherwise it's alright.
For that money you'd get something nice on the used market.

John Duncan

I admit that neither struck me as Rock and Metal setups, but if both sound good to you, take the one with the best knobs, I say. Hence Primare.

You need Thaiman (resident Metal Guru) to step in.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Also resident Arcam disliker. Essentially, only you can decide this one. Its a big outlay, and you should take your time and determine for yourself.

A

Anonymous

Primare............

Don't ask Thaiman, he'll just say its for smoothy, smokey jazz and edge of your seat classical!!!!
emotion-5.gif

Truthfully though the primares are smooth, yes, but they rock when they have to, with ease.

John Duncan

[quote user="JAXON5"]
Primare............

Don't ask Thaiman, he'll just say its for smoothy, smokey jazz and edge of your seat classical!!!!
emotion-5.gif

Truthfully though the primares are smooth, yes, but they rock when they have to, with ease.

[/quote]

Sounded pretty good with Moving Pictures yesterday, anyway.........

A

Anonymous

Why not one of each? Have you considered demoing the I30 with CD37 and A38 with CD31? You never what that might throw up!!!

Which ever pairing you decide to go with, don't buy without a thorugh listen. Spending that sort of dough and to buy on a whim would be financial suicide.

I rarely change my equipment because I make sure I am 100% happy with the balance of sound, look and practicality [and some would say I'm an old skinflint, maybe. . .].

For that sort of money look at Roksan caspian. I have limited experience, compared with some audiophiles on the forum, with numerous different set-ups, but the Roksan M - Series I've heard and like.

A

Anonymous

Just to add another tuppence worth: The primares are not as quick on the transients of the music when compared to the likes of Densen or Naim, being a little smoothed over (slight). However the overall coherence of the sound is awesome. Timing, placing of instruments etc etc is spot on and the overall sound is very natural. I would say it is warmer sound than the Arcam which I think many would say is quite neutral (not a criticism). Also finally I'd say it would be fairly important for you to listen with the speakers you'd be using as this, i've found, can dramatically change the way your electronics will sound. Good luck!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts