presonus eris 8

studiospeaker100

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I was looking for some active speakers for my computer. The reason for this was that my combination of passive speakers and integrated amplifier was not detailed enough so i wanted to replace them. I looked at studio monitors because they offer greater value for money but I wil not use them to make mixes on, only to listen to music.

In the shop I compared the presonus eris 8 to krk rokit 8 generation 3. The presentation in the shop was quite bad because all the speakers were in a very large showroom. So they were driven very loud. The KRK seemed to handle this better than the presonus. Someone told me the presonus sounded like a wall of sound while the krk didn't at these volumes. Because the presentation was not that good I could not really decide which one to take. I finally took the presonus but I am asking myself if I didn't chose the wrong one.

Has anyone heard these 2 speakers and compared them? There is also a constant noise in the speakers which dissappears only partial when I remove the rca cables so a part of the noise is coming from the speakers themselves. They also sound somewhat bright.

They do however sound much more detailed than my previous system which is a big advantage.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
studiospeaker100 said:
Hello,

I was looking for some active speakers for my computer. The reason for this was that my combination of passive speakers and integrated amplifier was not detailed enough so i wanted to replace them. I looked at studio monitors because they offer greater value for money but I wil not use them to make mixes on, only to listen to music.

In the shop I compared the presonus eris 8 to krk rokit 8 generation 3. The presentation in the shop was quite bad because all the speakers were in a very large showroom. So they were driven very loud. The KRK seemed to handle this better than the presonus. Someone told me the presonus sounded like a wall of sound while the krk didn't at these volumes. Because the presentation was not that good I could not really decide which one to take. I finally took the presonus but I am asking myself if I didn't chose the wrong one.

Has anyone heard these 2 speakers and compared them? There is also a constant noise in the speakers which dissappears only partial when I remove the rca cables so a part of the noise is coming from the speakers themselves. They also sound somewhat bright.

They do however sound much more detailed than my previous system which is a big advantage.

The Eris8 are not the loudest speaker in their class, that is probably between the KRK and the the Mackie. There are applications where this might be an issue but hi-fi listening is not one of them.

These are fairly serious speakers, some effort is required to get the best from them.

Firstly they need decent stands, they are too big and powerful in the bass to be used any other way. The various controls on the rear can be used to control the tonal balance, as with many 'studio' speakers, I find a little hi frequency cut helps. Make sure the midrange is set flat, the bass filter off, if on stands as they should be. With this done adjust the 'Acoustic Space' control to give the best balance.

Computers can be noisy as sources, first thing to do is to optimise the gain, wind down the gain on the speaker and drive the media player harder. My usual starting point is to set the media player to maximum with the speakers set to minimum, increase the gain on the speakers to the loudest you would normally use, then leave them. Adjust normal playback level (volume) on the media player.

The speakers should be very quiet set up in this way, nothing audible beyond a foot or two. If this is not the case, especially if the noise is higher when connected, then you have an earth/noise issue. Computer grounding is not as rigorous in these areas as it could be and is usually the problem, if you are using phono leads then you need a cable made up from mic cable connected in a pseudo balanced configuration with the screen connected at the computer end only.

Alternatively, see if your music shop can let you try a Behringer UCA202 (£25-30 ish) to use as a usb dac thus cutting out the computer sound card.

studiospeaker100

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
These are fairly serious speakers, some effort is required to get the best from them.

If they are so neutral as they pretend, why do they have to be tweaked then? Why do speakers need a hi frequency cut by default? Is a frequency cut the same as speakers who aren't bright? I heard you can equilize the room acoustic but not problems in the speaker itself?

davedotco said:
Firstly they need decent stands, they are too big and powerful in the bass to be used any other way. The various controls on the rear can be used to control the tonal balance, as with many 'studio' speakers, I find a little hi frequency cut helps. Make sure the midrange is set flat, the bass filter off, if on stands as they should be. With this done adjust the 'Acoustic Space' control to give the best balance.

Computers can be noisy as sources, first thing to do is to optimise the gain, wind down the gain on the speaker and drive the media player harder. My usual starting point is to set the media player to maximum with the speakers set to minimum, increase the gain on the speakers to the loudest you would normally use, then leave them. Adjust normal playback level (volume) on the media player.

They are not on stands, but I've set the accoustic space already on -2dB.

The gain is also reduced to 10 or 20% to prevent damage when the audio level on computer should be set on 100% by mistake. I always do this.

davedotco said:
The speakers should be very quiet set up in this way, nothing audible beyond a foot or two. If this is not the case, especially if the noise is higher when connected, then you have an earth/noise issue. Computer grounding is not as rigorous in these areas as it could be and is usually the problem, if you are using phono leads then you need a cable made up from mic cable connected in a pseudo balanced configuration with the screen connected at the computer end only.

Alternatively, see if your music shop can let you try a Behringer UCA202 (£25-30 ish) to use as a usb dac thus cutting out the computer sound card.

I already was thinking to buy the behringer UCA202 or 222 but does this solve earth problems also (in case there are). Does it have a galvanic isolation?

Did you also hear the krk rokit 8 generation 3? Do they have any advantages over the presonus? Which is the best of those 2?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
studiospeaker100 said:
davedotco said:

If they are so neutral as they pretend, why do they have to be tweaked then? Why do speakers need a hi frequency cut by default? Is a frequency cut the same as speakers who aren't bright? I heard you can equilize the room acoustic but not problems in the speaker itself?

davedotco said:

They are not on stands, but I've set the accoustic space already on -2dB.

The gain is also reduced to 10 or 20% to prevent damage when the audio level on computer should be set on 100% by mistake. I always do this.

davedotco said:

I already was thinking to buy the behringer UCA202 or 222 but does this solve earth problems also (in case there are). Does it have a galvanic isolation?

Did you also hear the krk rokit 8 generation 3? Do they have any advantages over the presonus? Which is the best of those 2?

In order.

Studio monitors at this price level tend to be hyped in the bass and high frequencies, they are much less so them most. A small cut gives a better measure balance and sound better to my ears, particularly in an 'untreated' normal room, you may feel differently.

The range of controls allow for slightly different setup for different purposes. The HF is particularly useful adjusting for the liveness or otherwise of the listening room. The mid allows for simulation of non hi-fi mid forward speakers, the bass filter allows for integration with subwoofers and the acoustic space is self explanatory. I find them very useful except for the mid, which I leave flat.

If you are still getting obvious noise you need to investigate, noise may be earth issues or 'interference' type issues from processors and power supplies withon the computer. Generally the external usb soundcard should be quieter but galvanic isolation is usually implemented by optical connection at this level. The UCA222 has dsp that is neither wanted nor needed in this application the 202 is fine.

The KRK Rocket series tends to be balanced to sound best when driven hard, very 'american' in that sense. It's a different presentation that some find a little forward and aggressive at hi-fi levels. This remains a personal choice, the Eris 8 measure flatter but this is only relevant if you like how they sound.

To be honest, it is the noise issue that bothers me, try as many options as you can and see if you can work out what the issue is.

studiospeaker100

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

There are 6 marks on the HF potentiometer till -6dB but I don't know if this is linear so that each mark is -1dB. Anyway, I need to be between 1 and 1,5 marks to my ears (-1,5 loses already the liveness you describe which can indeed be heard clearly).
It's difficult to set them as these controls seem to be very sensitive and there aren't any marks between 1 and 2. It's currently around -1,1 I think but I need more time to test this setting.

Regarding the noise, I can hear it even from 2 meters. However the noise has also reduced with the HF cut. On the other hand, I can also hear if the powersupply from the printer is on from meters away when the room is quiet while I'm the only one here at home who can hear that from a distance. Maybe I'm more sensitive at these frequencies. I will buy a Behringer dac nonetheless to improve this.

With my HF cut and -2dB, how can I know if this is neutral or hyped?

I must admit, the sound is much more detailed and reveiling than my previous system. I like this. How does the detail compare with other high end options?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
studiospeaker100 said:
Hello,

There are 6 marks on the HF potentiometer till -6dB but I don't know if this is linear so that each mark is -1dB. Anyway, I need to be between 1 and 1,5 marks to my ears (-1,5 loses already the liveness you describe which can indeed be heard clearly). It's difficult to set them as these controls seem to be very sensitive and there aren't any marks between 1 and 2. It's currently around -1,1 I think but I need more time to test this setting.

Regarding the noise, I can hear it even from 2 meters. However the noise has also reduced with the HF cut. On the other hand, I can also hear if the powersupply from the printer is on from meters away when the room is quiet while I'm the only one here at home who can hear that from a distance. Maybe I'm more sensitive at these frequencies. I will buy a Behringer dac nonetheless to improve this.

With my HF cut and -2dB, how can I know if this is neutral or hyped?

I must admit, the sound is much more detailed and reveiling than my previous system. I like this. How does the detail compare with other high end options?

The noise does sound like an issue. Try the Behringer dac or possibly consider a better soundcard, Some detail on your computer/source would be helpful.

If you computer offers digital out on an optical connector, try that too, a basic dac with optical input (Fiio D3) will do.

studiospeaker100

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I bought a behringer 222 (202 was not available but they said there is no difference in dsp). What I noticed first is that the sound is louder. Normally the level should be normalized but there is a difference between my soundcard and the behringer. The noise partly dissappeared but not completely. The ticks are gone but there is still a noise that is constant and on all frequencies. But this noise stays even if I disconnect the RCA.

There also seems to be a difference in sound between the left and right speaker. This seems to make it very hard to adjust them. Is this normal?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
studiospeaker100 said:
Hello,

I bought a behringer 222 (202 was not available but they said there is no difference in dsp). What I noticed first is that the sound is louder. Normally the level should be normalized but there is a difference between my soundcard and the behringer. The noise partly dissappeared but not completely. The ticks are gone but there is still a noise that is constant and on all frequencies. But this noise stays even if I disconnect the RCA.

There also seems to be a difference in sound between the left and right speaker. This seems to make it very hard to adjust them. Is this normal?

OK and in order.

The UCA202/222 are essentially the same, just don't be tempted by any of the DSP on the latter. Play around by all means, but not for proper listening.

Red Book standard output for any unbalanced dac should be 2 volts, but they all vary and is of no consequence.

The noise sounds excessive, with no connections other than mains and with the level set at about 3/4 maximum, it should be just audible about 6 - 12 inches away, no more.

To test the speakers, set them up side by side, well clear of any walls or furniture and test them carefully with all settings the same. If there is an audible difference, they are faulty.

Do you have a local dealer or did you have them shipped?

studiospeaker100

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
The noise sounds excessive, with no connections other than mains and with the level set at about 3/4 maximum, it should be just audible about 6 - 12 inches away, no more.

To test the speakers, set them up side by side, well clear of any walls or furniture and test them carefully with all settings the same. If there is an audible difference, they are faulty.

Hello,

12 inches is 30 centimeter for me. If I turn off the computer so there is no noise from the fans or hard drive then I can hear the speakers from more than 2 meters. I saw other people on the internet complaining about noise with these speakers. Maybe they're always like this. Have you heard them from close distance yourself? Both speakers have the same noise.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
studiospeaker100 said:
davedotco said:

Hello,

12 inches is 30 centimeter for me. If I turn off the computer so there is no noise from the fans or hard drive then I can hear the speakers from more than 2 meters. I saw other people on the internet complaining about noise with these speakers. Maybe they're always like this. Have you heard them from close distance yourself? Both speakers have the same noise.

My experience is primarily with the smaller Eris 5, which is as I describe. The issue is not known to me but I do not frequent pro audio fora.

If this is an issue, you need to speak to your dealer and try something similar, maybe some Yamaha HS7 or HS8.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts