Buying my first turntable (on a bit of a budget). Will most probably be buying a Project Essential II as I think this will be the best I can get on my budget (open to suggestion).

I know I will need a preamp so I wanted some advice as to what I can get for my money. I'm going to be looking at around £50 - £100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim Sketchley said:
Buying my first turntable (on a bit of a budget). Will most probably be buying a Project Essential II as I think this will be the best I can get on my budget (open to suggestion).

I know I will need a preamp so I wanted some advice as to what I can get for my money. I'm going to be looking at around £50 - £100.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

Without trying to sound to dismissive why do you want to start a vinyl system? It's not usually a budget optiondue to cost of the source normally.

Are you sure you need a pre-amp? What do you plan to connect it / turntable to i.e. what is the rest of your system?

If you are positive you need one then there is little in the way of options in this price range. Best one to look at is Rega Phono Mini A2D.

thanks for the response.

My girlfriend has rediscovered some old vinyl and wanted to resurrect it.

We have a Marshall Stanmore speaker we use for playing music off Spotify etc. and was just hoping to connect a turntable to this.

I'm aware that it's fairly limited as a sound system so didn't really see the point (nor do I have the funds) to buy something that's top of the range. Kinda just want something that will get the most out of the speaker really which, again, I understand will be fairly limited.

Am I right in thinking that to connect a turntable to the Stanmore, I will need a preamp?

JohnNB

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the Rega Fono Mini is amazing for the money. I used one for few years before upgrading to one 5 times the price and which is no where near 5 times as good.

Tim Sketchley said:
thanks for the response.

My girlfriend has rediscovered some old vinyl and wanted to resurrect it.

We have a Marshall Stanmore speaker we use for playing music off Spotify etc. and was just hoping to connect a turntable to this.

I'm aware that it's fairly limited as a sound system so didn't really see the point (nor do I have the funds) to buy something that's top of the range. Kinda just want something that will get the most out of the speaker really which, again, I understand will be fairly limited.

Am I right in thinking that to connect a turntable to the Stanmore, I will need a preamp?

Not familiar with it so Googled it and the clue is in the words 'with RIAA' when it talks about connecting record player. So yes, you need a phonograph preamp.

OK great thanks for the confirmation.

In regards to the preamp; with the speaker I will be using, will there be a great difference between using the Rega than say the Project Phono Box MM.

Looks like the Rega is about £40 more. Would probably be happy to stretch to it but only if it will make a significant difference.

Thanks again for the help. Wish I had a ton of money as the more I look into it, the more I find some seriously nice kit!

Tim Sketchley said:
OK great thanks for the confirmation.

In regards to the preamp; with the speaker I will be using, will there be a great difference between using the Rega than say the Project Phono Box MM.

Looks like the Rega is about £40 more. Would probably be happy to stretch to it but only if it will make a significant difference.

Thanks again for the help. Wish I had a ton of money as the more I look into it, the more I find some seriously nice kit!

The answer has to be no, so go for the cheaper option I'd suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts