admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I am looking to improve my current vinyl system which consists of;-

Rega Planar 2 - Upgraded with 24V motor and white belt - Ortofon red cartridge

Kenwood 3020SE integrated amp

Eltax Compact Bookshelf Speakers

I have been told that adding a seperate pre amp will be better than using the phono input on the amp and have been looking at NAD PP2 and Pro-Ject Phono Box pre amps. Somebody else has said that these would be no better than my current set up.

Any thoughts?

I have already decided to replace the speakers and have been looking at Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers

My system is in my home study and only around 10x8 so not a big room.

Cheers

Mooly

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
You may make some gains sonically but also the run the risk of having an extra "add on" component and possible noise/ground/cable effects making their presence felt.

It's quite an old amp... not that there's anything wrong with that... and out of curiosity I looked at the phono stage circuitry for the Kenwood which as expected is opamp based (as are most add on preamps too).

If you are reasonably competent with a soldering iron you could replace the rather "pedestrian" 4580 opamp for something like the LM4562 which for a around £4 could well offer the most cost effective upgrade.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply

No not very handy with soldering iron I'm afraid :)

Have decided to borrow a mates phono box se and see if it makes a difference.

If not guess I need to look for a new amp. Prefer from cost pov to buy secondhand any suggestions for an amp with a good phono stage built in?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
You could do what I did. Have a look here http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/phono-preamps-and-phono-stages.htm, join the forum and arrange a two week no obligation home loan of a phono preamp or two.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts