Pre Amp with Separate amp, or integrated?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As you may know, I have been making many decisions lately, I have cancelled 3 orders so far, I really ned to make my mind up soon! Ok, Is it better to get a pre amp, then a sepearte amp to match it, or an intergratd amp? Intergrated seem much better value for money! I found the new Sony STR-DA6400ES, not the STR-DA5400ES for £1499.99 reduced from £2,000 I believe. Or should I pay £400 more and get the RSP-1570 as the pre amp, with the RMB-1565 as the amp. The only disadvantage with the Rotel is that it is only 100 watts per channel at 8ohms, while the Sony is 120 watts per channel at 8ohms, also the sony has auto-setup, but the Rotel doesn't!

I will be using a B&W PV1 sub, with 2 683's. (I will upgrade to 5.1 later in the year).RSP-1570

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would always take manufacturer's power figures with a pinch of salt. I'll bet the Rotel's figures are for all channels driven but the Sony will be for 2 @ 8 O driven. Keeping the processing and amplification stages completely separate ensures better sound quality, it's as simple as that. An AV receiver is always just a one-box compromise.

A

Anonymous

I agree with what d4v3pum4 said.

Don't get me wrong, though, because the new(er) A/V Receivers are fantastic these days, but where possible and practicable, a separate pre- and power amp combo is more ideal.

Plus, when new technology arrives, you can change the pre-amplifier/processor and keep your beloved power amplifier.

If you went with an A/V Receiver, to get the latest technology, you would have to change the entire unit, and if you loved the sound of it, you would lose the amp stage of the A/V Receiver when you sell it or trade it in.

In terms of power ratings, do not worry too much about figures. When it comes to A/V Receivers, most manufacturers boast their claims based on 1 or 2 channels powered and at a very easy 1kHz load. Manufacturers' claims on power amplifiers are almost always genuine, with all channels powered from 20Hz to 20kHz continuously.

Rotel is a very honest manufacturer, when it comes to power claims.

Dan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts