PRAISE a YouTube dem

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:
This is the exact same Jimmy Sax - volume etc is the same, camera slightly more on ear level but this is with my camera with the wind noise reduction turned off.  I think sounds a bit rough compared to the last one but the bottom end seems picked up - like mic is saturated at times?  No good. 

Can you please let me know what you think?  Is it good enough or still need a proper recorder?  Think know the answer any way obvious really isnt it 

Thanks 

Better, but it all still sounds like 64kbps radio stream.

And get the smaller cheaper recorder. It does .wav at 16/44, accepts 4GB memory card max, but for your needs should be fine. Bigger one does 24/96 and 32GB cards.

I have an offer in on a DR40 see if he accepts it if not get the lesser one for a bit less. £20 difference delivered for that seems worth it? Hard say no experience?

I might change listening position yet. Toying with the idea.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
This is the exact same Jimmy Sax - volume etc is the same, camera slightly more on ear level but this is with my camera with the wind noise reduction turned off.  I think sounds a bit rough compared to the last one but the bottom end seems picked up - like mic is saturated at times?  No good. 

Can you please let me know what you think?  Is it good enough or still need a proper recorder?  Think know the answer any way obvious really isnt it 

Thanks 

Yes the bottom end is better but when he lets go it compresses and goes to a blob in the centre a bit.

I played the same track direct from youtube on my system and err well there is no comparison ( no criticism *smile* ) but I am sure a dedicated recording device should make a massive difference.

There is some serious energy in that video especially in the bass and the sax is as clean as a whistle and the overall sound is huge and very powerful, it is going to be hard to capture it fully.

Cheers Electro.
Will delete them off.

Its funny you can payback the files on media player, j river then you tube and they all sound different on my office pc

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Electro said:
ellisdj said:
This is the exact same Jimmy Sax - volume etc is the same, camera slightly more on ear level but this is with my camera with the wind noise reduction turned off. I think sounds a bit rough compared to the last one but the bottom end seems picked up - like mic is saturated at times? No good.

Can you please let me know what you think? Is it good enough or still need a proper recorder? Think know the answer any way obvious really isnt it

Thanks

Yes the bottom end is better but when he lets go it compresses and goes to a blob in the centre a bit.

I played the same track direct from youtube on my system and err well there is no comparison ( no criticism *smile* ) but I am sure a dedicated recording device should make a massive difference.

There is some serious energy in that video especially in the bass and the sax is as clean as a whistle and the overall sound is huge and very powerful, it is going to be hard to capture it fully.

Cheers Electro. Will delete them off.

Its funny you can payback the files on media player, j river then you tube and they all sound different on my office pc

I just used youtube from my ipad straight into the Cambridge audio id100 then throught a Monarchy audio DIP to my Electro DAC which automatically upsamples to 24/192 then to my system.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Electro i mean the original file. I was wondering before if YT applies its own eq as it sounds different to jriver for example. Probably just volume difference or maybe better encoders or something. Doesnt matter cheers for letting me know.

No good anyway

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:

No it's not. He's adding a huge amount of echo. Is he auditioning for London Grammar?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There is a load of reverb added but its close mic'd for a cleaner sound I think.

Just a bloke knocking up music at home its pretty good really. He has done other videos normal mic'd they sound different

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Electro said:

No it's not. He's adding a huge amount of echo. Is he auditioning for London Grammar?

Yes there are added effects on the recording but there is very little unintended ( I assume ) or unpleasant distortion.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Electro i mean the original file. I was wondering before if YT applies its own eq as it sounds different to jriver for example. Probably just volume difference or maybe better encoders or something. Doesnt matter cheers for letting me know.

No good anyway

My pleasure *smile*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
lindsayt said:
]No it's not. He's adding a huge amount of echo. Is he auditioning for London Grammar?

Yes there are added effects on the recording but there is very little unintended ( I assume ) or unpleasant distortion.
It's the added reverb that make it less clean (for me) than something like John Coltrane's Blue Train.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I reckon it's for the younger crowd. They like boomy bass and thick drum tracks.

I wouldn't compare this easy going Kenny G sax with Coltrane. *crazy*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
That's 60 years of recording progress for you.

Sack the backing band and replace them with a drum machine.

Add a load of reverb to make it sound like you're playing in Chiselhurst Caves.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
ellisdj said:
Vladimir said:
Ohm Walsh 2000

He really loves those speakers off in the actual review.

A bit too excited over downfiring woofer and room reflected tweeters. It confused the cat.

I just wanted to show you the recording setup.
Thanks, I have been looking seriously at his videos, not mindful of what he is doing - its mental what he does - single mics each speaker but it combines to make a very vivid stereo image. Its very clever I assume he moves and measures until he gets the flattest freq response then uses that spot

He is using a DR-44WL - I put an offer in on one but the chap wants too much for a used unit in my mind. I think splitting the mics like he does might be better so needs to be a DR40 or DR44.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not at all - I need to get stuck into work anwyay April has been a terrible month so far me in one way or another.

I would love to do reviews like what he does - Its great what he has done really.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Not at all - I need to get stuck into work anwyay April has been a terrible month so far me in one way or another.

I would love to do reviews like what he does - Its great what he has done really.

He gets over $2500 monthly on Patreon from viewers to buy and review gear. I've bought several budget items simply based on his recommendation and everything is as described, no magazine review BS.

No such reviewer for the upper hifi echelon on the tube. I don't remember anyone ever talking up Meridian on YT.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not a lot to talk up thats why hahahaha :)

I would love to do the reviews so would be interesting to try it - need to make some connections to get some kit on loan.

You have super high end kit being reviewed by AvShowrooms - thats mega money stuff

EDIT - I have seen quite a few of his videos before and they were excellent

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Not a lot to talk up thats why hahahaha :)

I would love to do the reviews so would be interesting to try it - need to make some connections to get some kit on loan.

You have super high end kit being reviewed by AvShowrooms - thats mega money stuff

I don't own anything from Meridian and I can fill in a 6h video on the company and it's importance in Hi-Fi history and presence. There is lots to talk about.

AvShowroom doesn't do reviews. It's video clips of kit. Just eye candy.

TRENDING THREADS