Pragmatism !

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Due to certain practical reasons I may well have to change my excellent KEF LS 50's for speakers with front covers :cry:

I'm contemplating Kef's 100 speakers.

Pros & cons between the two speakers ?

How are the 100's for postioning ?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
I assume u r worried about small fingers? I think I would try a little DIY grille covers either round ones to cover the driver or a more traditional whole front cover?

What about car radio door speaker grilles from eBay?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
They're certainly one of the best £2k speakers for high frequency performance - nice and solid, with no tizziness or grain - just open and detailed. Buying these would usually depend on music styles, but having owned LS50's ,I doubt you'd feel you're missing out. They'll need a little more care regarding placement though as they are fuller in the bass than the KEF's. Only a listen can answer it for you though.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Although once kids get a little older, that top-mounted tweeter is awfully tempting. I suppose that once it gets to that stage grills aren't going to be much of a deterrent either.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
ProAc Tablette Anniversary perhaps, or the slightly bigger Response D1? The Tablettes sound best when placed on heavy stands at least 15 inches clear of rear and side walls.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Can the LS50s be wall mounted out of reach? I believe that some people have also suggested wall mounting the kids to keep speakers safe, but this probably isn't advisable, or legal.

Captain Duff

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
If wall mounting isn't an option, and you tend to listen when the kids aren't there or are in bed then you may find your answer at the pet shop - thick bird cage covers in various sizes (and normally dark colours) that would be quick and easy to slip on and off. You could even glue a bit of bubble wrap to the inside of the side to go over the cones for extra accidental knock protection. Is it a bird, is it a plane, is it a LS50..!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
They're certainly one of the best £2k speakers for high frequency performance - nice and solid, with no tizziness or grain - just open and detailed. Buying these would usually depend on music styles, but having owned LS50's ,I doubt you'd feel you're missing out. They'll need a little more care regarding placement though as they are fuller in the bass than the KEF's. Only a listen can answer it for you though.

Would B&W's fs 700 stands be adequate ?

Being front firing ported bookshelf speakers I was hoping for easier placement.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts