power amp for under £500

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
im going to be changing my onkyo 605 this year to a reciver with preouts and was thinking of cambridge audio 740 to drive my mezzo 2s in stereo mode as it has a fixed volume setting but can i get a power amp that can do the a better job for the same money or less.

A

Anonymous

Quad 405 from ebay (£120 ish) and then send it to Netaudio for upgrade. Superb end result that will be last speaker, pre and source upgrades for some time!

I should add, a standard Quad 405 is pretty good too! The upgrade changes the op amps which helps get rid of some brittleness, and the dual mono PSU gives it more weight.

A

Anonymous

I would have a look at www.usedhifishop.co.uk or www.greenhomeshop.co.uk (same people but the usedhifishop site has higher end stuff). I went there yesterday and they have mountains of stuff that is not yet listed. I came away with a couple of bits at hardly any money. I know he has a Quad 405, I also saw an Arcam10, an old Sansui valve receiver and just about everything in between.

I bought my whole system from them and am now upgrading bits as I get the funds to do so.

Arthur.

T

the record spot

sirarthursg:
I would have a look at www.usedhifishop.co.uk or www.greenhomeshop.co.uk (same people but the usedhifishop site has higher end stuff). I went there yesterday and they have mountains of stuff that is not yet listed. I came away with a couple of bits at hardly any money. I know he has a Quad 405, I also saw an Arcam10, an old Sansui valve receiver and just about everything in between.

I bought my whole system from them and am now upgrading bits as I get the funds to do so.

Arthur.

The Quad gear would be good, but one of the sites mentioned above has a highly rated Pioneer M73 power amp. Total monster bit of kit from the late 80s/early 90s - definitely worth a look and under your budget too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts