Power amp advice

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi all.
May have found a house big enough for my speakers.
Any suggestions as to the best power amp to match my system below?
Happy with all components and instead of upgrading amp i'd just like a little more power to help the speakers breathe.
Cheers

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bodfish.
Used kit is a preference as money goes further that way.
No budget in mind as yet but cheaper the better. Obviously it has to be relative to the system. The 400 is an old amp so is there an old power amp to suit?
Cheers

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
I'm still a bit unclear as to what you are trying to achieve and I haven't come across your speakers before either.

Assuming that you want to have more control over the speakers (bass) than your current amp allows and that your A400 has pre-outs, you could look at an older Rotel power amp such as the RB-971 (or get two and run them as monoblocs).

Personally I'm not a fan of using an integrated amp as a pre amp. You might also want to consider an older integrated amp with a bit more grunt.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Had Rotel pre/power in the past and too brash for my liking. Linn pretek/powertek too which wasn't revealing enough. Found a happy medium with the Pioneer so really don't want to budge on it. I guess I'm looking to get the best out of my speakers without having to change anything in the current set-up. Hope that makes sense.

A

Anonymous

lake audio, arent those the dodgy american speakers all over E-bay all the time???

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
Built in China. Sold from U.k.
I heard these when dropping off an Arcam Xeta 2 which I had sold. Guy had taken a chance on them and they sounded great. Gave it some consideration and plumped for them. Was running with a pair of kef concerto 1 floorstanders and they wiped the floor with them. Since then seen off many a challenge including the great rogers LS33/AB33 combo. Simply put the best sub £1000 floorstanders I've heard. Poss even best sub £1500. So not dodgy and not american mate.

Bodfish

Jun 25, 2009
Visit site
amarocknrollstar:Had Rotel pre/power in the past and too brash for my liking. Linn pretek/powertek too which wasn't revealing enough. Found a happy medium with the Pioneer so really don't want to budge on it. I guess I'm looking to get the best out of my speakers without having to change anything in the current set-up. Hope that makes sense.

Hmmm. Sounds like you're clutching at straws a bit. Adding a power amp will automatically change your current set up! If I were you I'd stop worrying about it and start listening to some music instead.

A

Anonymous

http://nottingham.gumtree.com/nottingham/44/52129544.html

these speakers...?

A

Anonymous

regaurding a new power amp, what power output is your original amp you have now?

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:
http://nottingham.gumtree.com/nottingham/44/52129544.html

these speakers...?

That's the one's mate though mine are slightly different - badged and 5 inch shorter.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:regaurding a new power amp, what power output is your original amp you have now?

Hey buddy. Details below;

DIN Continuous power output (both channels driven at 1 kHz)
85W + 85W into 4 Ohms. 1% THD
60W + 60W into 8 Ohms. 1% THD

Continuous power output (both channels driven at 20 Hz to 20kHz)
70W + 70W 4 Ohms, 0.05% THD
50W + 50W 8 Ohms, 0.03% THD

Dynamic power output (on EIA dynamic test signal)
135W/100W/70W into 2 Ohms /4 Ohms /8 Ohms

A

Anonymous

don't rush things ... save up a bit longer, enjoy what you have, and in a few months time buy a good used Musical Fidelity A5 integrated off ebay ...

they currently sell for between £700-£800 ... 250 watts @ 8 ohms ...

A few month's back, I helped setup a system for one of my son's college mates with one of these, and also hooked the amp to my current system to try .... very very good for the price paid IMHO (son's mate paid £726 plus P&P)

if your A400 is in good condition, you should get between £130-£140 on ebay,

A

Anonymous

Continious power output...

I have an 8000s which is 60 x 2 8ohm.

Also have a 8000p 100 x 2 8 ohm. Which is what im using to power my rega speakers. Which is fine for me as my regas are small speakers. If your craving power id hunt for a much powerful amp as dim_spam says, with a good power output for 8 ohms.

I take it when youve got your music on you have to really crank your amp up to get the music flowing?.

A

Anonymous

I've owned 2- Pioneer A400's .... have never cranked the volume louder than 11 o'clock

according to old reviews, the A400 is 'conservatively' rated at 60 watts @ 8 ohms

A

Anonymous

seems you have an average powered amp, maybe the speakers are just hard to drive...?

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
reggaedave:seems you have an average powered amp, maybe the speakers are just hard to drive...?

Possibly.
It could just be that I'm trying to pick holes. In answer to the question about getting the music flowing I'd say yeah. They sound veautiful but to really hear the music it needs to be too lous for the neighbours comfort. That's a particular annoyance because when it flows it's just incredible.
Thanks for the input and advice guys.

A

Anonymous

Is this in your new bigger house or the original smaller house...

A

Anonymous

I dont mean to be rude but it may be a flaw in your speaker is that they are hard to drive, wanting a very powerful amp. I honestly didnt realise how expensive powerful intergrated amps were !.

In the ideal world id suggest trying an amp like my audiolab, power output 100 watt x 2.

It was ideal for me only because i already had the 8000s, which i could use as a pre, so the add on 8000p gave me the 100w, from the 60w a had on the 8000s.

If you have your heart set on the speakers you dont have a choice.

Your amp seems a vintage one ( i may be mistaken ), you could get a new amp with a half decent spec then see what they do for your speakers...

Its the old perils of the old upgrading !!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts