Posting is becoming very frustrating.

Why do I get "Access Denied" after I make a post. Over the past two weeks it's become worse. This morning I had to post the same thing three times. Also when I log-in it simply doesn't log in. Either I have to try multiple times or if I come out of the forum and go back in it sometimes works.

Terribly annoying, especially when I've made a long post and have start all over again.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

There certainly are a lot of problems with the forums. It's incredibly slow at times, logs me out in the middle of posting, and then (sometimes) takes 2 attempts to get back in.

I've just got Infinity, but it feels like dial up on this site sometimes.
confused.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The most common problem seems to be those 'lost' posts. You know, the ones that read...

"_____________________________"

I avoid that by waiting a few seconds then clicking 'reload' on the browser. When presented with the little grey box, click 'resend' and all is well.

However, too many people will click 'back' on their browser instead and find their post has vanished.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
I know the feeling. That's why I hardly reply anymore.

Most of the time, after I typed a reply and hit the "save" button, I first need to fill out some hardly readable characters and need to "save" again. And then the whole reply is gone.

I don't even think about giving it another try.

The big pop up adds are VERY ANNOYING. But we don't pay for it, the adders do, so I doubt they're going to take them away.

Bugging a few subscribers that buy the magazine isn't such a big issue as losing a big sponsor.

I wonder how many times I'll have to post this message.

Don't get me wrong: I've nothing against adverts, that makes a healthy revenue for Haymarket. What bugs me is when you try and log in this huge advert comes across from right to left like a curtain. Can you get rid of it so you can continue logging in? Nah. I have to come right out and start again.

BTW, this is my second attempt at posting this.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
kevinJ said:
The big pop up adds are VERY ANNOYING. But we don't pay for it, the adders do, so I doubt they're going to take them away.
But...like I said in the other recent thread about ads, it doesn't have to be that way. There's a million and one amateur forums out there run on PhP or vBulletin, they don't seem to need half as many pop-up ads as this to stay afloat, and they don't have the same technical issues. Someone presumably at Haymarket has consciously decided that the forum should runs the way it does, including deciding on the number and type of adverts needed to keep the thing financially afloat. Obviously they've not consciously decided to invent the technical issues! But what I'm saying is, it's not like there isn't a solution to either of the site's two main problems (the technical issues and too many ads), it's just, I suspect, there's far too much red tape in the way of adopting one.

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
The most common problem seems to be those 'lost' posts. You know, the ones that read...

"_____________________________"

And I just thought it was my inability to come to terms with posting on a new site - took me three tries to post my first ever post

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
There certainly are a lot of problems with the forums. It's incredibly slow at times, logs me out in the middle of posting, and then (sometimes) takes 2 attempts to get back in.

I've just got Infinity, but it feels like dial up on this site sometimes.
confused.gif

On Virgin but also feels like dial up as well at times, almost like its having a good think about things before it executes.

Just logged out because I was shown as logged in, except when I wanted to post when I was shown as logged out.

Closed my browser, re-opened it and was shown as logged in and able to post.

BTW do not have problems on other sites.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I too can only apologise. Is this good enough? Frankly, no, the technical issues are deeply frustrating (they affect us too, so I know exactly how you all feel) and I've brought them to the attention of our technical team. Unfortunately the 'logging out' issue isn't just affecting whathifi.com, I'm told it's affecting one or two other Haymarket sites as well and we're busy looking into what's causing it.

As for the rollover ads, we need to raise advertising revenue to pay for the site (which is still free), but the size and frequency of the ads is something I've raised already with our commercial team.

All I can say is please bear with us while we try and resolve these issues. Your patience is much appreciated.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
As usual, when a top accountant in a large company sees a way to maximise profitability(ie reduce overheads),the net result doesn't filter through till several months later-at which point it is argued quite easily the two events are not related.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
As usual, when a top accountant in a large company sees a way to maximise profitability(ie reduce overheads),the net result doesn't filter through till several months later-at which point it is argued quite easily the two events are not related.

Not terribly sure what bearing that observation has on the matter at hand, given that the site seems to have found its own ways to make life difficult for us all with no intervention from management, bean-counters or Satan's little helpers...

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Ravey Gravey Davy said:

Not terribly sure what bearing that observation has on the matter at hand, given that the site seems to have found its own ways to make life difficult for us all with no intervention from management, bean-counters or Satan's little helpers...

Interesting alteration to your original post,which says to me it's better to hide behind the canvas rather than face the bigger picture, but hey, that happens everywhere.

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure what my anti-virus software (Norton) is doing but I've never had issues with any adverts or rollovers on this site. In fact I'd rate it as one of the best I visit wrt pop ups and rollovers etc. I do occasionally have issues with not recognised as 'logged in' but that's common and I can cope with that.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
kevinJ said:
I know the feeling. That's why I hardly reply anymore.

Most of the time, after I typed a reply and hit the "save" button, I first need to fill out some hardly readable characters and need to "save" again. And then the whole reply is gone.

I don't even think about giving it another try.

Bugging a few subscribers that buy the magazine isn't such a big issue as losing a big sponsor.

I wonder how many times I'll have to post this message.

Agreed.

So flippin annoying - please please please sort this out What Hi Fi.

Disable rich-text.

Enable rich-text.

Allow html.

I might be a bit simpleton typing / pc wise but all this means nothing to me (and no I do not care to want to know either thanks).

I just want to be able to post something on the 1st attempt.

I too am fed up with over complications.

What Hi Fi - please take note.

Doubt this will work but ......:wall:

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Ravey Gravey Davy said:
Interesting alteration to your original post,which says to me it's better to hide behind the canvas rather than face the bigger picture, but hey, that happens everywhere.

Expansion, not alteration, in an attempt to clariify my explanation.. Which says to me it's better to try to consider the size of the catflap needing to be constructed, rather than being blinded by speculation about the myhtical origins of the oncoming cat. Or something.

But please rest assured no-one is hiding behind, or in denial about, anything. Rather, as Andy C has said, we share your frustration, and are stepping up the pressure to get things put right.

And once again, apologies to those users experiencing problems.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts