POSSIBLE PROBLEM LOOMING RE: MUSIC SERVER PURCHASE/WMP11 EQUALIZER.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Ok, hope the title was'nt too confusing, but the two subjects are linked. Earlier today I was listening to some music using the gubbins in my sig, and realised I still had WMP11's graphic equaliser set (I do'nt use any other "enhancements" tho). So, "I wonder what happens when i turn it off" thought I. So I turned it off. The sound was dreadfull! It sounded as tho someone had put a huge thick sock over my speakers. All the detail went, vocals went, it was all "lows", and muffled lows at that. Now, I'd understand if the files were really badly encoded low bit rate files, but these particular songs were definitely 320kbps mp3s, encoded only once straight from the CD (not all my files are that good, due to past ignorance). Now, I may be purchasing the Escient 160 music server later today - thus taking the PC out of the loop in terms of processing the music. However, I'm wondering, is there something fundamentally wrong with my system or will the problem sort itself when I have a server (mostly) devoted to music playback...? All contributions gratefully received, unless you want to talk biscuits... ;)

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Ill have a go now. I'm just using Sigmatel on-board HD sound, as per my sig. Many thanks boss. by the by, just tried it with a CD, and the same happens.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Oh my giddy Aunt! I dunno what's happenning with WMP11, but both winamp and foobar sound SO MUCH BETTER - with no "extras" employed at all! Ahem. Sorry. Must calm down. I guess I'll just have to hope that this server sounds on a par. If it does'nt tho, I know i'll not go back to WMP for long, if at all! Thanks fr0g!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Well darn it! I'm sure you're absolutely right, but i prefer winamp. mainly beacause it looks great lol! Sorry? Did someone say style over substance...? Lots of stuff is wrong in me winamp library, and every time i want to play a song it wants to play a whole list of 'em, but im sure ill get through that. Bye bye WMP 11, 12, 13...

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Any point getting the paid for winamp? EDIT - Actually, just noticed i cant rip in FLAC unless id do so. But if i did that, would it just do it (rip in FLAC), without me downloading anything else? And would winamp play the resulting files without any extra ecouragement...?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the offer but id have to set up a new address Im not ruling that out, mind). Thanks for the response tho. I did go ahead with the purchase of that server in the end, which will take my musical activities off the pc for the most part (it rips to FLAC, and i can copy my mp3s across to it for now, til i get round to re-ripping), all being well. id still love to figure winamp out for future use tho - it sounds great but ive a lot to learn about the way it looks and behaves if we're to get on with eachother). You're right bout FLAC and EAC, its just i got sick of the whole "everyhting needs something else" thing, but i will persevere at some point.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
funny that innit? there's a "contact" button, but it doesnt do what it says on't tin. all me info in winamp is messed up now too. must be coz they werent properly tagged. all because i used to just chase me tail with this stuff. still am largely lol! ill have a look at that other forum. mind, i might explore how to set up another address with TT, my isp, and see if i can access it thru outlook like i do my "main" address. Anyway, i think ill wait and see how it goes with this server, then explore further if i dont like it. due to my badly tagged songs, mind, ive probably got a lot of work ahead with that (tho the people who are selling it said they might leave loads of songs on it - so i might get lucky). Sorry, that was all such a ramble, hope it made some sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts