Possible Fault Marantz PM6003

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Marantz 6003 setup with Wharfedale diamond 10.1 speakers connected to my PC via a Behringer BCA2000 audio interface. I have noticed that there is a bias towards the right side. If I switch the audio interface to mono, the sound moves more central, but in stereo mode it is definitely more pronounced on the right side. I have the amp in source direct mode, so the balance control should not be affecting it, although it's set to the centre anyway. I have also compared the sound via headphones, plugged into the amp, which still seems to favour the right side, although less pronounced, and into the audio interface, which seems more balanced. This suggest to me that the source is ok, so it must be the amp that is producing the imbalance. Is it possible/likely that the channels on the amp are giving a mismatched output? Are there any settings I can check before contacting Richer Sounds for a repair/replacement? I have toyed with speaker placement but the fact that the staging moves more central in mono mode suggests that is not the issue, as well as the fact that I experience a similar effect with the headphones. This is my first proper Hi Fi and the improved soundstage was one of the effects I was most looking forward to, so this is really bugging me! I would appreciate any advice.

A

Anonymous

had the same problem with a nad amp many moons ago

only fix is to take it back to the dealer

A

Anonymous

I was hoping for an easy fix! Would I lose any quality if I attempt to just tweak the balance controls?

A

Anonymous

if its new and under warranty id get it fixed especially if its bugging you

using the balance control will certainly work and you shouldnt notice a drop in quality but have to admit im not familiar with the amp

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. It's a bit of a drive to Richers for me and I think I'd be looking at a repair rather than a replacement as it's over the 30 day period which means I'd have to do the drive twice to pick it up afterwards. I'll try tinkering with the balance and see if I'm satisfied, but I am a bit concerned that if this is a fault, then it might get worse over time.

A

Anonymous

Well I've managed to rectify the problem somewhat by adjusting the balance, anyone else have an opinion as to whether or not I should get a repair?

A

Anonymous

Whilst messing about with various settings I noticed that the problem did not seem evident closer to the speakers. It is set up in my bedroom and the left speaker is in front of the bed and the right speaker is to the side of it. Is it possible that the positioning of the bed is damping the sound from the left speaker but not the right? Unfortunately I do not have any room for manouevre as far as the position of the bed goes so I cannot test this, but I would like to know if this is a likely cause or whether it is more likely that there is a fault. I do believe that it has the same issues when used with headphones however, if it does not seem to be evident closer to the speakers then it seems like my ears are playing tricks on me somewhere! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

A

Anonymous

You could try keeping the speakers connected to the terminals and switch the speakers over L to R and R to L positions. See if there are any differences. You'd find out whether it was the bed that was causing the problem and rule out your hearing. Is it just a problem with differences in volume between speakers? When you listen do you sit in the middle of the speakers? Is it just the treble or bass that is lacking on the bed side or both?

Maybe try turning the speakers around to face the wall to see if ones still louder than the other.

Possible i've completely misunderstood your post. Sorry !

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions mate, I'll have a play when I get time. I think you've understood me correctly, I just find it incredibly irritating as when I sit and listen to music, for a lot of tracks, the sound is positioned at the right speaker. With stereo effects, where left and right are playing completely different sounds, both are still audible, but where I'd imagine the sound should be central, it is right sided. My main problem is trying to decide whether or not I think there is a fault so perhaps turning the speakers round is a good idea. I will also try changing the left and right speaker terminals round. I did this at the source which is what made me think it was the amp outputting a louder signal to the right speaker, but obviously this could still be down to the bed.

A

Anonymous

it would appear i am having the same problem !! a weak left channel in stereo . thought it might be my speakers , but not so sure after reading this . i am currently going to try a set of new speakers to see if that's the problem . if not the amp is going back to richer first thing tomorrow morning !! i shall let you know the outcome .

A

Anonymous

HI. Just a quick suggestion that is quite obvious, but may have been overlooked. Have you checked that the polarity is correct on both speakers. If not, try switching the inputs for positive and negative on one of the speakers around and see if that resolves the problem. If the polarities are not matched between the speakers you'll get a wierd "twisted" effect and it may appear to be louder on one side.

A

Anonymous

polarity is fine on both amp & speakers . i did check that first anyway !! it's weird really , because initially the sound was more pronounced in the right speaker than the left . SO .. i changed the speakers around & now the left speaker( which was the right previously) is still the more pronounced !! hence why i thought it's one of the speakers playing up . i cannot try the new speakers till tonight so will let you know the outcome then .

A

Anonymous

now then , i have tried my new speakers tonight . the sound is slightly more equal from both speakers than my old ones , but still the left does not seem exactly the same as the right just better than before !! this is a little odd . i wonder if the amp is the problem after all . i, like the original post have got the sound direct button on & in any case the balance is in center position . whats worrying me is after time the amp will make my new speakers gradually worse & be no better off .

Mmmmm ...

gonna get the amp checked out while it's under warranty

A

Anonymous

Hi, I don't know if it's of any relevance but for me the problem seemed to be to do with room acoustics. I initially had it in a bedroom and the bed was placed more in front of the left speaker so I guess it absorbed more of the sound, making the right seem louder. I have since moved and placed the system in my living room and I don't get this issue anymore. It did take a bit of fiddling to get speaker placement correct to achieve a balance but all seems well now. It might be a coincidence but a lot is mentioned about room acoustics and the affect it has on the overall sound and it makes a lot of sense to me. Could this be an issue for you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts