Ported Sub VS Non Ported

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just wanted to know which is preffered. I know a non ported box gives a tighter and more accurate bass response, but what is a sealed enclosure like for bass lines? Im still looking at the bk xls200 to replace a (pretty terrible) q acoustic 1000s.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
If you take a given cabinet volume and speaker, the sealed box should sound tighter and faster as you noted. The ported box should go deeper and be a little more efficient. The introduction of a port disturbs the phase and timing characteristics of the sub as a whole, also the speaker cone behaviour becomes unruly below the frequency at which the cabinet resonates (most output at such frequencies is derived from the port). In a badly designed ported box you can also hear wind noises as air turbulance can occur in the port. On the other hand though, getting really deep bass from a small box is very difficult, so sealed box subs tend to be larger. A more powerful drive unit and plate amp would also be needed to achieve the same volume levels. If you value punch, speed, timing and accuracy over depth and volume and can accomodate a larger cabinet and bear the cost of more expensive drive unit and amp I'd say go for the closed box.

It looks like with the BK you're not paying dealer mark ups, marketing budget and massive tooling and production costs. Your money instead is spent on the sort of components that can eek out quality low bass. The Peerless XLS 10 is well liked and it alone retails at around the £90 BK are asking for it.

I don't think you'd do much better unless your wookwork is good and you build one yourself.

A

Anonymous

sealed boxs tend to produce whats played in to them, or less. The tighter air volume tends to restrict the low bass performance compaired to ported boxs which can flap around with greater ease. However the looser ported box can allow bloated behaviour. when the power is cut, a cone in a sealed box will stop moving before the cone in an open box.

most car audio systems the boy racers have are ported boxs. Thus lots of uncontrolled low bass. I made a sealed box which didnt go as low, but could bruise your kidney with there bass which strongly followed what the amp was telling them. The grip of a sealed box can be much stronger, but at the loss of low end extension. punch or rumble. horses for cources.

Its not strictly true though. an accurate speaker has a rating of 1. sealed boxs tend to make speakers from the ideal value of 1, to a very controlled 0.7 While ported boxs can also result in a speaker of 1, but are ofton more like 1.3 or even 1.5 sometimes although i wouldn't call that hifi. Thats more like you find in someones boot. A small box with a wacking great hole in it.

Best advice you can get is to go and demo some

A

Anonymous

up the music: The Peerless XLS 10 is well liked and it alone retails at around the £90 BK are asking for it.

And again chap? I cant find it for twice that now you have raised my interest? the xls 10 in a box for £90?

edit: not a cardboard one either lol

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
No. BK price for the drive unit alone is £90. i've seen it at about $130 - 140 US.
The complete sub is £290 I think. Go check BKElec site

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200-DF.htm

I'm not sure what plate amp they're using. With a cabinet too, and a little pack of cables it's got to be a good buy if you don't want to design and build your own.

A

Anonymous

arr i see :)

them drives pop up n ebay quite ofton, should you ever feel the urge.

Ive a pair of 10" morels, but a sealed box that can allow 20hz without even being 1db down is 27 square foot.

Obviously the fire came straight out and i was busy measureing up the breast when i was 'caught' so thats not happening.

up the music

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Is that 27 cubic feet cabs? Are the push pull or Isobaric or what?
Confused by the fiery breasts.

I've got to get rid of some 15 inch Altec 421H and Beyma 15K200 units and cabs before I do anything. Free from a club I worked at along with a load of other kit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts