Popcorn & Snake Oil

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I swear I never laughed so hard in my life. I am coughing, gasping for air with massive hiccups in parallel. I just made popcorn. Who needs movies when we have audiophile scams and forums!

Enjoy this funny thread about WyWire cables, recommended by our colleagues across the Atlantic.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1256936/wywires-they-are-new-sound-awesome

Here is how WyWires started, on this open-minded audiophile forum.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80675.0

I'll dive into this big thread next. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1198719/the-upgrade-company-component-mods

It is about "The Upgrade Company". I wonder what are they upgrading? Hmm.

:bounce:

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
Vladimir said:
I swear I never laughed so hard in my life.

Step away from your computer, walk out the door and start enoying life. :dance:

I live in the mountains.
NON-MEAN_LOOKING_blank_stare.gif

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Broner said:
Vladimir said:
Broner said:
Vladimir said:

I live in the mountains.

Step away from the computer, ski/paraglide/climb/fall/hike down the mountain and start enjoying life :dance:

It's 9 pm and everything is pitch black. Need I mention wildlife?
skype-bear.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Broner said:
Vladimir said:
Broner said:
Vladimir said:

I live in the mountains.

Step away from the computer, ski/paraglide/climb/fall/hike down the mountain and start enjoying life :dance:

It's 9 pm and everything is pitch black. Need I mention wildlife?
skype-bear.gif

get a wife, and a new "expresso machine"... ;)

no way i'm reading all those posts...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
/quote/

Musicphile

A musicphile is someone which loves music and listens to music, for the sake of music. I actually hardly ever see musicphiles at head-fi. Either that or hardly anyone talks about their music.

Technophile

Someone which loves technology. I am one of these to an extent, and there are plenty there.

High-end-phile

Someone which loves high-end anything - art, pens, watches, kitchen knives, furniture, stereo receivers, TV’s, laptops, windows, pets, cars, hotels and prices.

The high-end-phile fits in well at head-fi, they’re highly consumeristic, collectors, and will happily be ripped off without furling their whiskers.

Soundphile

Someone which loves sound, such as in their equipment, they don’t really care what music is playing most of the time, they just love sound for the sake of sound! I am one of these too, however I’ve reached a point where I can depart from it now.

Dataist

A dataist is someone which loves objective data. dScope results, Bruel&Kjaer couplers and peer-reviewed university data is the evidence-based science they adhere too.

They wrongly label themselves as objectivsts as if they possess the scriptures to objective truth, while others don’t.

Subjectivist

What is a subjectivist?

If my left hand is 34 degrees Celsius and my right hand is 40 degrees Celsius, and I put both of them in 37 degree water, then my left hand perceives it as hot and the right as cold.

Thus “hot and cold don’t exist, everything in reality is subjective” which extrapolates into “don’t tell people this or that and rank audio equipment, everyone hears different!”.

Actually, there are objective truths to the temperature, they are 34 C, 40 C and 37 C, there are objective truths to your neural pathways too.

Actually there are truths to everything, they simply exist.

/end quote/

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
If you want a good laugh, check out this HiFi gem, The Hign End Novum PMR (Passive Multi-Voice Resonator):

http://www.highend-electronics.com/highend_novum.html

premium-web-600.jpg

Basically a copper bowl selling for ONLY 2400 USD!

I'm sure it sounds wonderful and all (it has received praise from some reknown HiFi mags), but am I supposed to take that price for a copper bowl seriously ?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Yep... Products like that are why audiophiles get laughed at...

I'm sure it adds something to the sound (whether good, bad, different, insignificant or just artificial is another issue). But can't someone in China (or anywhere for that matter) produce a "knockoff" version of the same dimensions, also in copper, for $100 or less?

I don't normally get into the whole issue of parts not justifying the price, but this one just seems way over the top, and too easy to replicate for less money..

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It just reflects HF like your glass window, coffee table or tile floors. Makes the sound crisper to overdampend rooms and old listeners ears.

A

Anderson

If you think that's funny you should read the WHF reviews of digital data cables ie USB and HDMI, they talk about supreme image and improvement in sound stage, better color etc its hilarious, don't know how they take themselves seriously.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
It just reflects HF like your glass window, coffee table or tile floors. Makes the sound crisper to overdampend rooms and old listeners ears.
Yep, that's pretty much what I'd expect it to do... But to charge $2400 for that is hilarious...

ReValveiT

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If you think all that's funny, Earlier whilst browsing through some on-line Hifi stores, I came across a device that runs-in your cables! A cable burner-in-er-er.

Apparently "burns in your cables better than music can"!

Yours for just £650. I bet they're struggling with demand.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ReValveiT said:
If you think all that's funny, Earlier whilst browsing through some on-line Hifi stores, I came across a device that runs-in your cables! A cable burner-in-er-er.

LOL! :wall:

I also heard Naim shakes their cables as a breaking-in procedure. Not sure if its true.

TrevC

ReValveiT said:

I expect HIFIKrazy has one.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
spiny norman said:
TrevC said:
I expect HIFIKrazy has one.

Always good to attack other members when you want to boost your objectionalist credentials.

Thanks Spiny Norman, but to be fair to TrevC, I have been giving him a bit of stick myself.

As to the cable burner, I don't have one personally, but a hifi dealer that I bought cables from before did run-in the cables through one of these type of machines as part of the service. If it saves some of my tube life, who am I to complain whether it really works or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts