poor show on bbc hd

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i am watching man city v man unt game on the bbc hd channel
and the picture quality is not up to the standard of hd
what do you think off the quality poor or good.

A

Anonymous

hi scene i have both freesat and sky both look the same to me cr-- .

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Thats not what this says.On 5 August 2009, BBC HD switched new transmission encoders, satellite bitrates on Astra 2D dropped by nearly 40% (from 16Mbs to 9.7Mbs), leading to a large number of complaints of poor picture quality.[3][4][5][6][7][8] The cable version has remained at 17Mbs and is encoded by Virgin Media themselves,[9] while the later launched terrestrial version is statistically multiplexed between 3Mbs and 17Mbs

scene

Sorry - work called...

Yes, that's why I was asking the question - if Virgin OK and Sky/Freesat poor, then it looks like the new codecs are the problem.

Again
emotion-12.gif

or

A

Anonymous

i have noticed the drop in quality recently , but i thought tonights match looked very good , it was like looking through a window on my plasma....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:Thats not what this says.On 5 August 2009, BBC HD switched new transmission encoders, satellite bitrates on Astra 2D dropped by nearly 40% (from 16Mbs to 9.7Mbs), leading to a large number of complaints of poor picture quality.[3][4][5][6][7][8] The cable version has remained at 17Mbs and is encoded by Virgin Media themselves,[9] while the later launched terrestrial version is statistically multiplexed between 3Mbs and 17Mbs

Quite obviously I was refering to Freesat and Sky being the same, messiah hadn't made his post about Virgin when I started my reply.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
the PQ was pretty much the same as SD looked on my old 28" CRT. The BBC seems to think that the purpose of HD is to up the quality a tiny bit, so that the picture imperfections in SD when amplified over a 40"+ screen are done away with. ITV's HD offerings are far superior.

A

Anonymous

why do the british public have to have second best again in hd p-q just
like dab, just look at euro-sports coveridge of the africa cup this
is a different class to what we get in hd,, this shows what were missing in hd P-Q

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
dvdaudio:

why do the british public have to have second best again in hd p-q just
like dab, just look at euro-sports coveridge of the africa cup this
is a different class to what we get in hd,, this shows what were missing in hd P-Q

Absolutely agree, check EuroSport's tennis coverage in HD, truely sublime, good audio also.

So, just what is going on in the ivory towers of the BBC?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:So, just what is going on in the ivory towers of the BBC?

They're probably thinking "We keep getting caned by the public for wasting "their" money, this HD bandwidth costs a packet, so lets wind it back a bit and then everyone will be happy because we're using their license fee more efficiently".

As was seen from yesterday's Daily Mail thread there are people out there who don't even see why the BBC is bothering with HD at all, so really, as irritating as I find it, they're damned if they do and damned if they don't. Some people will NEVER be happy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
dvdaudio:why do the british public have to have second best again in hd p-q just like dab, just look at euro-sports coveridge of the africa cup this is a different class to what we get in hd,, this shows what were missing in hd P-Q

You mean the Eurosport HD coverage that's available... to the British Public?

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
the_lhc:

dvdaudio:why do the british public have to have second best again in hd p-q just like dab, just look at euro-sports coveridge of the africa cup this is a different class to what we get in hd,, this shows what were missing in hd P-Q

Easy.................we're discussing the merits of HD broadcast and not the benefits or not of subscription tv.

Eurosport HD is better by a country mile than anything both the BBC and ITV currently put out!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
fayeanddavid:the_lhc:dvdaudio:why do the british public have to have second best again in hd p-q just like dab, just look at euro-sports coveridge of the africa cup this is a different class to what we get in hd,, this shows what were missing in hd P-Q

Easy.................we're discussing the merits of HD broadcast and not the benefits or not of subscription tv.

I know but the fact is Eurosport is available to the British Public if you choose to get it and secondly the BBC ISN'T free you know, it's 11 quid a month, which isn't that far off a basic Sky package and you DON'T get the option of whether to pay it or not (well you do, but not for very long, typically).

Eurosport HD is better by a country mile than anything both the BBC and ITV currently put out!

So is ESPN HD, the picture quality on there, especially of some US sport is brilliant.

A

Anonymous

IMHO HDTV in general is still a bit of a waste of time. There's precious few HD channels other than premium sports, and pay-per-view sports and movie channels, and an awful lot of what is broadcast on the remaining HD channels is just upscaled LDTV of old. And my HDTV will upscale all on its own thankyou very much.

It's a bit like back in the late 60s, going out and buying a very expensive colour TV, only to come home and find all the movies, Dixon of Dock Green, etc. etc. are still being broadcast in black & white, or going out in the same era to buy a new sideboard-size stereogram (remember them?) and realising all your records are mono recordings.

I'm about three months into a twelve month SkyHD contract, and I have to say of the number of HD channels and the true HD content on those channels doesn't buck up soon, I'll be going back to LDTV.

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Darren Heal:

IMHO HDTV in general is still a bit of a waste of time. There's precious few HD channels other than premium sports, and pay-per-view sports and movie channels, and an awful lot of what is broadcast on the remaining HD channels is just upscaled LDTV of old. And my HDTV will upscale all on its own thankyou very much.

It's a bit like back in the late 60s, going out and buying a very expensive colour TV, only to come home and find all the movies, Dixon of Dock Green, etc. etc. are still being broadcast in black & white, or going out in the same era to buy a new sideboard-size stereogram (remember them?) and realising all your records are mono recordings.

I'm about three months into a twelve month SkyHD contract, and I have to say of the number of HD channels and the true HD content on those channels doesn't buck up soon, I'll be going back to LDTV.

Ineteresting analogy....................and look at the progress to date.

I, for one, think the advent of HD hardware and broadcasts are a significant step up for viewing, a massive step in terms of audio, with broadcast 1080i and 5.1 audio in most cases.

There just seems to be a major issue in terms of quality of broadcast transmissions in terms of visual excellence between the major providers viz BBC/SKY/Eurosport............deliberately not including ITV due to lack of content,as for C4........this jury is out.

But for all it's faults to date I shall be sticking with it

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Even worse tonight I thought, definite blue tinge throughoput the broadcast...............checked against Sky HD football coverage, which seemed to have the normal balance, just what is going on?

Are there not colour balance standards as well that OB cameras are set up too, HD or not??

Also noted that there is no BBC HD logo on display during the match..............is this the tell tale sign that has been missed?

Pretty shoddy effort yet again from the BBC

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Even worse tonight I thought, definite blue tinge throughout the football broadcast...............checked against Sky HD football coverage, which seemed to have the normal balance, just what is going on?

Are there not colour balance standards as well that OB cameras are set up too, HD or not??

Also noted that there is no BBC HD logo on display during the match..............is this the tell tale sign that has been missed?

A

Anonymous

I suppose if they had BBC HD onscreen they could be in breach of the trade descriptions act!! ÿI agree with you on the Villa game.

I think all the HD programmes are being dumbed dwon. ÿI dont see much in the "quality" ÿhi fi mags about this sorry state of affairs.

abbey

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts