A

Anonymous

Will someone tell them we're in recession.
emotion-9.gif

bluecafe1:Will someone tell them we're in recession.
emotion-9.gif

Most manufactuers tend to do this. The culprit over the past few years is Arcam. Dynaudio put the Focus 110 up from £850 to £1160, and prior to that Neat did the same a year or so before with the Motive 3. Startying price was £650 and suddenly went up by over a 100 squid.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Dynaudio put the Focus 110 up from £850 to £1160

I thought this was a bad move on their part - a cracking speaker for £850, and easily justifyable over the old Audience 52's (at the time), but at £1160, it's been priced out. Shame.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I think the DB1i may cost as much as £895 these days. I paid £770 about 18 months ago.

A great speaker within their limits. They are a very small standmount after all.

Their high frequency performace is where i found them to really shine, but due to their limited bass output you sometimes find yourself listening to the tweeter, not the speaker as a whole. Having said this, the bass they do produce is very detailed and accurate for the money with good extension but not enough quantity to match the superb tweeter.

I have just replaced DB1i's with a pair of ATC scm19's. I know the 19's are in a different price catagory and are twice size of the DB1i, but if they have put the price of the DB1i upto £895 then i think id be looking at the scm11 or saving up a bit longer for some scm19's.

Also, i managed to blow the bass drivers in my DB1i's. Im not saying this is PMC's fault, i had them up too loud and due to the lack of distortion from the system, they cooked before audiable distortion was evident.
But having removed the 2 drive units from the cabinets, its obvious that the build isn't very substantial of the bass driver and is very light weight.
The whole DB1i weighs only 4.5kg and the bass driver alone in the scm19 weigh's 9kg.

FrankHarveyHiFi:

I thought this was a bad move on their part - a cracking speaker for £850, and easily justifyable over the old Audience 52's (at the time), but at £1160, it's been priced out. Shame.

Seems to be happening more and more......

When the Arcam A70 was reviewed the price was £500 and I phoned the retailer the following day and he said it was £550. Not much good if your budget is tight and you find the brands you want have shot up by a 100 pound per component.

A

Anonymous

Some store have them on sale atm for 795, I just put down a deposit on a pair. Due to go back up to RRP next week and then a further £100 rise afterwards.

A

Anonymous

When Spendor SA1s appear on ebay for around £750, who cares what DB1i's cost. Sorry, that sounds very fanboy.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

It was mainly due to the pound being devalued I gather.

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:

And when AVI Neutron Vs go for £242...
emotion-2.gif

So have you sold the the whole system now?

The DACMagic remains (though probably won't, having seen what prices they go for), I still have a Yamaha AV amp that I'd get rid of if I thought it would make more than fifty quid, but otherwise yup, the whole lot's gone.

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:

And when AVI Neutron Vs go for £242...
emotion-2.gif

Oh and I have a DVD player playing through an Arcam Alpha 2 and Diamond 9.1s as an interim solution.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:chebby:

JohnDuncan: And when AVI Neutron Vs go for £242...
emotion-2.gif

The DACMagic remains (though probably won't, having seen what prices they go for), I still have a Yamaha AV amp that I'd get rid of if I thought it would make more than fifty quid, but otherwise yup, the whole lot's gone. Ha Mrs D must be in a state of shock hmm or is it extacy ?
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

RodhasGibson:JohnDuncan:chebby:

emotion-2.gif

The DACMagic remains (though probably won't, having seen what prices they go for), I still have a Yamaha AV amp that I'd get rid of if I thought it would make more than fifty quid, but otherwise yup, the whole lot's gone. Ha Mrs D must be in a state of shock hmm or is it extacy ?
emotion-5.gif

Actually, she was sad to see the Primares go - "but they're so beaaaauuuuudiful"

So whatever replaces them is going to have to be, er, cute.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:RodhasGibson:JohnDuncan:chebby:

emotion-2.gif

emotion-5.gif
Actually, she was sad to see the Primares go - "but they're so beaaaauuuuudiful" So whatever replaces them is going to have to be, er, cute. Yeah know the feeling,btw did they go abroad in the end john?.

John Duncan

chebby:
JohnDuncan:

So whatever replaces them is going to have to be, er, cute.

I thought the 'Cute' option was too deep for your shelf.

Yeah, I'm just saying it has to be cute to be, er, cute. I am having a total rethink about where and how I listen to music (sorry OP for now going totally OT). I can feel a modest system coming on in the lounge (a Brennan or suchlike) and putting something more substantial in the kitchen (which is where the Mac is), including a headphone setup. Dunno really - but I know the big stereo (inc. turntable) had to go to fund something different.

Or I may just wait and see who follows Salisbury's example...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts