PMC DB1i Overkill For A Sonos ZP120

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm trying to choose speakers to match a Sonos ZP120 and need some advice from someone that has a little more knowledge than myself. I have been looking at Audioengine P4 and PMC DB1i. Given that the PMCs are 4 times the price of the P4s, would I notice the difference enough on the small amp in the ZP120 to justify the price?

I know I will get a better sound from a Z90/AMP/Speakers, but I particularly want the simplicity of the ZP120. This is my secondary system for the bedroom. The speakers will sit on bedside tables, the ZP120 will go under the bed (which is so low it will be inaccessible). Despite the un "ideal" speaker arrangement I'm still looking to get the best possible sound. I have a great sound in the living room (Leak ST20 through 15" Tannoy Monitor Golds) and at the moment I have a Sonos S5 in the bedroom which despite the great reviews is so un "hi-fi" I never listen to it so I want to upgrade to something that is at least musical enough to listen to whilst keeping it simple.

The reason I've chosen the P4 and the DB1i is that aesthetics are also important, they are both small, natural wood. I may add the Sonos Sub once I have the speakers if necessary. So given the criteria, are PMC DB1i a waste of money in this set up or would I notice the difference form a cheaper speaker (allbeit one with goos consumer reviews such as the P4)

orbit500

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
oddly that's exactly what i use in my office and it sounds great. not as good as my other set of pmcs driven through an arcam avr350 ( for the dac and amp quality ). pmcs need hard driving and the zp120 is borderline but fine.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
While I wait for a new amp to arrive, I'm running some Sonus faber Venere 1.5s off a ZP100 (i.e. the old model).

It sounds OK. The top end's a bit smeary, and the whole presentation is thin. I've heard the speakers sound an awful lot better. But I wouldn't say the speakers are wasted on the ZP100. On the other hand, if I were running this set-up more permanently, I'd be saving my beer money for a better amp.

:cheers:

Matt

John Duncan

OK. The P4s are nice for a small desktop/bookshelf with nice bototm and top but I found them a bit scooped in the mids. At one point I had them on the end of a prototype Cambridge Minx Xi with a view to convincing Mrs JD to accept that as 'music in the kitchen' but apart from her thinking it looked EDITED, I found it a bit disconcerting in terms of tonal balance - just not even enough.

The DB1is are exceptional speakers, very neutral across the range, but need a bit of space - I put them on alcove shelves once and they were simply swamped with bass from that rear transmission line port - sounded terrible. So depending on exactly where they're going, you might find neither of them terribly suitable.

I *still* haven't heard them, but I think in the context of where you want to put them you might want to hear some Neat Iotas (notwithstanding the lack of wood veneers).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts