PMC 23 at home

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So today the dealer was so friendly enough to take a 2hr drive and install a set of PMC 23's at my home.

I heard the speakers 2 weeks ago at his place, behind a Naim amp. Totally blown away, but of course this is not the same as

a) my room

b) my humble Rega

First impressions so far:

Me smiling all the time. The difference with the Mission's is *huge*. I was afraid of 'too little bass', but (as the dealer already said), it is more than enough for my living room. It's just way clearer and defined than what the Mission's do. Furthermore the sound stage is (way) bigger than the Mission. And high frequencies are 'silky'. More air also. Furthermore I can push it harder without getting bright (something I'm having also with the Mission's). And it sounds way better at low volume.

Again my little brave Rega surprises me. I was afraid that having heard the PMC's behind a Naim SuperNait 2 is not exactly 'comparing material'. And for sure the Naim has more authority, but the Rega is doing fine. No, more than fine.

I'm not sure these speakers will go back to the dealer :D

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The Brio R is a Brave amp, capable of driving demanding speakes but with limitations. Mine drove my Dyns X12 for a year and gave me a big smile every time!

But If you keep those PMC i think an upgrade of the amp will be next... :? ;) :twisted:

Webern

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I recognise the phrase: "smiling all the time" ! It does sound like you'll be welcomed into the PMC fold soon...

What do you make of the slanted cabinets? I don't know if it's the photography but they always seem to exaggerate the leaning somehow.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Webern said:
I recognise the phrase: "smiling all the time" ! It does sound like you'll be welcomed into the PMC fold soon...

What do you make of the slanted cabinets? I don't know if it's the photography but they always seem to exaggerate the leaning somehow.

The slanted cabinets somehow make them 'elegant'. Although the size is comparable with my Mission's (besides the depth), it 'looks' smaller. But indeed the leaning in the folder seems exaggerated with real life.

This smiling btw.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
spockfish said:
So today the dealer was so friendly enough to take a 2hr drive and install a set of PMC 23's at my home.

I heard the speakers 2 weeks ago at his place, behind a Naim amp. Totally blown away, but of course this is not the same as

a) my room

b) my humble Rega

Me smiling all the time. The difference with the Mission's is *huge*. I was afraid of 'too little bass', but (as the dealer already said), it is more than enough for my living room. It's just way clearer and defined than what the Mission's do. Furthermore the sound stage is (way) bigger than the Mission. And high frequencies are 'silky'. More air also. Furthermore I can push it harder without getting bright (something I'm having also with the Mission's). And it sounds way better at low volume.

Again my little brave Rega surprises me. I was afraid that having heard the PMC's behind a Naim SuperNait 2 is not exactly 'comparing material'. And for sure the Naim has more authority, but the Rega is doing fine. No, more than fine.

That's show you how important is to make a demo at home
smiley-wink.gif
the PMC is a great choice . I do think that a future amplification upgrade

should be done .

Good Luck
smiley-cool.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
spockfish said:

a) my room

b) my humble Rega

That's show you how important is to make a demo at home
smiley-wink.gif
the PMC is a great choice . I do think that a future amplification upgrade

should be done .

Good Luck
smiley-cool.gif

let him be, he didn't pay for the PMC and here you are spending another man money... ;) :wave:

:cheers:

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Excellent choice of speaker. I'm sure you'll find a home for them..!

Out of interest have you tried the 22s? I personally marginally preferred them over the 23 but both stunning speakers and with equal following for both models.

You'll be rewarded with even more air between instruments, bigger soundstage, increased detail (in other words all the things you probably already love about them) with better amplification. The more the better in my experieince having tried a few amps with the 22s now.

Enjoy!

(edit : not to suggest that the Brio wont do a cracking job with the 23s itself!)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Great choice :) ... and if you'll be thinking of an amp upgrade check Electrocompaniet ( but then I'm not sure if it's still available in UK).. anyway, an excellent PMC partner.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Did hear the 23s powered by a Rega Elicit-R. Sounded pretty good, but it was in isolation.

Guys, I first need to buy the 23's before I can upgrade my amp ;-)

But yeah, I'm aware that is the following step.

Yesterday evening up until late listening at rather low volume levels not disturbing the family I already made up my mind. I want these.

So next discussion is which color ;-)

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I would go for those that you have right there!

Black Piano lacquer! 8)

and yes they look very nice, now imagine a Elex R where the Brio R is... :twisted: :rofl:

you're trying to get me into this 'upgrade rage' right?

:rofl:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I would go for those that you have right there!

Black Piano lacquer! 8)

and yes they look very nice, now imagine a Elex R where the Brio R is... :twisted: :rofl:

you're trying to get me into this 'upgrade rage' right?

:rofl:

I don't know if you remember but we almost had the same system (Brio R/RP3/SBT that i still have but don't use, and a Synology NAS, the only exeption were the speakers, you with the Mission and I with the Dynaudio X12 that i still have!

So you think i'm trying to get you in the upgrade rage...? Think twice! ;) :rofl:

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Spend the last days until late in the evenings listening going 'zig-zag' through my collection.

One thing I didn't do: push the PMC (and my neighbours :) ) to the limit. So after playing Stockholm from OSI (extremely low bass notes) on highly illegal volumes I made up my mind: I'm gonna buy these speakers.

I mean, playing the new Tori Amos on these speakers sounds beautifull, but today I found out that you can also organize a proper party with these speakers.

Ok guys, gonna stop spamming you all with me going on and on about this, but it has been a very long time since I enjoyed my hobby this much :D

Regards,

T1mb0

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
Glad you're enjoying them :rockout: :dance:

Piano black looks sweet where they are. Walnut would be second choice I think..

Can you take the ones you have there as ex-demo?

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
T1mb0 said:
Glad you're enjoying them :rockout: :dance:

Piano black looks sweet where they are. Walnut would be second choice I think..

Can you take the ones you have there as ex-demo?

I'm sure I can, but we're still discussing what finish to take. Initially I would not pick the piano black, but indeed it looks rather good. But my wife has pointed out (rather pragmatically) that you see everything (dust) on it. And that's true. So I think we'll go for something else then.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
What have you got there between the floor and spikes? Floor protector or does it improve the sound? I've got the 23s but didn't install the spikes on my hardwood floor.

TRENDING THREADS