Pmc 21 v bw cm6 my impressions. Rewritten.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Greetings all,

i think i have now given cm6 enough time to do a fair comparison.

I will start with the 21s. Couple of things that stand out: a) vocal, vocals sound authoritative, sharp and demand attention. B ) bass, or lack of it. Although these speakers are not for bass lovers, i found that high bass note sounded rather good i loved the sound of bass guiter on the 21s. Overall sound is very clean and do dig deep into the mix. Actuall size of these speakers are smaller than they seem on computer screen or magazine and even on my smallish (11x12 feet) room thay struggled to create any atmosphere. I also found stereo imaging and sound staging a bit poor. I seriosly feel PMC ,with these speakers, fails to justify the price tag and as a result Quite a few dealers Every now and than sell them on ebay at a discounted price.

now to the Cm6. They took around 35-40 hours to open up. One thing you notice about them as soon as you hit the play button is the atmosphere they create with their room filling sound, vocals are perhaps not as sharp as the 21s. with bw speakers bass is never in short supply and because of that ,i guess, makes the 21s sound more cleaner in comparison, if you know what i mean. Cm6 offer a wide sound stage with good instruments separation. Tweeter on top allows good space between HF and LF sound And there certainly a wow factor. Overll i am very happy with cm6.

Any one looking to buy pmc 21 or cm6 for that matter , i would say go and listen to atleast 5-6 different speakers before you part with your (may be hard earned) money because £1500 is a lot money to be parted with.

thanks for reading if you have indeed read it.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nice insight.

Speakers are all about compromise, so it's about picking the speakers that have the right set of compromises for your taste/room/music genres.

Very good and honest appraisal.

Think there are a couple of things at play: first, I do believe it's a synergy thing. Although I've heard the Twenty 23s a couple of times with a Yamaha receiver and Rega Elicit-R - they sounded beautiful, but I've not heard the 21s. Second, I've not heard your amp, now whether it has the same tonal presentation as the earlier Evos, I couldn't say.

Most importantly, you've chosen a speaker that suits your tastes. Enjoy you new additions.

scott608

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I was in exactly the same boat when picking between the two and elected for the cm6's which are now fully run in and sound amazing. Interested to know your speaker positioning for the cm6's? I have mine quite close to the wall due to being either side of the chimney breast just to protect them from any heat now that winters coming. Did you play about with speaker positioning much?

B&w cm6's run through NAD masters M12 and NAD masters M22, project carbon turntable. Music mainly run on bluesound through tidal.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Nice insight.

Speakers are all about compromise, so it's about picking the speakers that have the right set of compromises for your taste/room/music genres.

speakers is perhaps the most difficult part of the jigsaw and the simpliest solution IMO to stick to 1 brand of speakers.

take my situation for instance . 18 years i was happy with dm601 than happier with cm5 and than i comfused my self with PMC. Now having gone back to better bw speakers i am introduced to the word 'compromise' why? Becauce, as you said, different spkrs offer different qualities. I had to trade say about 15% of vocal quality and 10% of clean sound for other qualities that i prefer.

so in terms of speakers i think ignorance is indeed blissfull.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Very good and honest appraisal.

Think there are a couple of things at play: first, I do believe it's a synergy thing. Although I've heard the Twenty 23s a couple of times with a Yamaha receiver and Rega Elicit-R - they sounded beautiful, but I've not heard the 21s. Second, I've not heard your amp, now whether it has the same tonal presentation as the earlier Evos, I couldn't say.

Most importantly, you've chosen a speaker that suits your tastes. Enjoy you new additions.

cheers PP

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
scott608 said:
I was in exactly the same boat when picking between the two and elected for the cm6's which are now fully run in and sound amazing. Interested to know your speaker positioning for the cm6's? I have mine quite close to the wall due to being either side of the chimney breast just to protect them from any heat now that winters coming. Did you play about with speaker positioning much?

B&w cm6's run through NAD masters M12 and NAD masters M22, project carbon turntable. Music mainly run on bluesound through tidal.

i have got mine about 14 inch away from the back wall, i have also got them on the either side of the chimney but they are good 3 feet away from it and this being our music room we dont tend to use the gas heater much. I haven't played around with the speaker positioning much.

Please share you thoughts on positioning it might just save me time playing around.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
i had the same impression of the pmc's, when i asked my dealer he just shook his head and pointed to the ls50's, he was spot on. as usual!

for the retail price of the pmc's i have managed to get a brand new pair of ls50's and an ex demo REL S3 sub and brand new dynaudio stand 6 stands oh and had enough to fill with atabites.

imo pmc's are over priced.

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
MickyBlue said:
i had the same impression of the pmc's, when i asked my dealer he just shook his head and pointed to the ls50's, he was spot on. as usual!

for the retail price of the pmc's i have managed to get a brand new pair of ls50's and an ex demo REL S3 sub and brand new dynaudio stand 6 stands oh and had enough to fill with atabites.

imo pmc's are over priced.

would be interesting to know how the Tucana sounds with ls50

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts