PM6005 - noisy DAC?

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
When I use the DAC in this amp, I have noticed two things.

** The DAC is a little bit noisy when not playing tracks. There is a low poppy-digital noise, especially apparent through headphones. It disappears when I start to play the CD.

** It has problems playing Copy Controlled CDs (EMI). The CDs play, but there is a "clicking" noise every 2 seconds which makes them unlistenable.

I am not having these problems when I use the DAC of the CD players (CD6005 and CD63 KI) fed to the analogue circuit of the amp.

Other than that I am very happy with the sound the amp produces. It's open and detailed.

iMark

I can't help you with your question about your noisy DAC but I do know a little bit about these copyright control rubbish discs. (Because of the violation of the Redbook CD standards you can't call these discs CDs). Here's some more information on these effectively defective discs.

http://www.newolde.com/copy_controlled_cd.htm

We have a few of these discs and I have never had any problem playing them or ripping them into iTunes on a Mac. One thing that is worth considering is ripping the EMI discs and burn a new CD yourself. Somewhere on the discs are the uncorrupted music files. I remember that I made quite a few CDs for friends from these rubbish copy control discs on my Mac. It still infuriates me that the record companies thought they could get away with these practises.

Another thing to consider is contacting EMI and demand a real CD from them without copy control rubbish because basically you have defective discs that only turned out to be problematic with new equipment.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site

Sorry for hijacking this a bit, but Stefanom can I ask how the marantz cd6005 shapes up to the cd63 ki?

I have a ki at the moment, but I'm thinking of buying a cd5005 or cd6005 at the moment.

Thanks for any help.

stefanom

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion CD6005 is better than the (original, unmodified) CD63 KI. Largely because of better DAC. It has more resolution and details.

What I did: I bought the CD6005 and started modifying my old CD63 KI to a much more higher-end machine. There is a huge thread on that at diyaudio, if you are handy with a soldering iron, screwdriver and electronic components.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts