PM6002 Vs RA-04. Please Help!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I went to demo some equipment today.B&W 685, Marantz CD6002, and both the Rotal RA-04 and PM6002 Amp.

I heard the Rotel first, and although it was quite good,after all the reviews i'd read ,it did not blow me away like I was expecting it to. the bass drive from the rotel was good, but it seemed as though the B&W's were not singing to their full potential.

Then i heard the marantz amp, and the difference was apparent immediately. the musical notes were a lot sharper, the bass reflexes a lot deeper, and the speakers showed a lot more vocal clarity. altogether, the speakers felt as they were being driven much more efficiently with the marantz amp.

Has anyone else demo-ed the same set up and found the same differences between the two? IMO, the marantz totally out performed the rotel, and this was a massive shock to me.

Please let me know what you guys think,thanks very much.

P

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We had a similar - if not so dramatic - experience when we Group Tested the two earlier this year: hence the Marantz taking the Rotel's place in our Best Buys list.

However, still feel the Rotel's weight could appeal to some users over the Marantz's midrange finesse. That's why it's important to audition gear before you buy.

Yep, I second that! I am a believer, nay a humungus believer in testing before you buy. Put it another way, would you buy a car without test driving it? Or buy a house without viewing? Nope! same applies to hi-fi.

Just to briefly touch on the Rotel sound. I tested the old RA02 a few years ago and found that that had the same trait.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I have heard the Marantz PM4001, PM6002 and PM7001. I now have the Rotel RA-04 and I think it's a lot better than any of the Marantz amps. The Rotel sounds cleaner and the music is much more alive, the Marantz sound is a bit boring I think. Also the Rotel is much more accurate.

But if you like the PM6002 better, buy that one. You have to listen to it, not me
emotion-5.gif

Als try some different speakers. Monitor Audio BR2, Quad 11L2 and my personal favorite the Focal Chorus 706V.

A

Anonymous

cheers.

another thing i wanted clearing up is, would you/anybosy else recommend terminating the speaker cable with banana plugs, or connecting up the speaker cable with components using bare wire?(for the setup in question).

the price for banana plug terminating is a hell of a lot more than just bare wire, and was thinking weather it would be worthwhile?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am now have a terminated plugs but only because I changing my gears quite often and they are more Convenience, I couldn't hear any different in sound however.

A

Anonymous

Good choice on the amp, and I second the above advice about playing around with some different speakers with the Marantz. As for termination, I used to use bare wire, which works absolutely fine, but have now switched to some cheapo banana plugs, which also work absolutely fine, and have the added advantage of being tidier and easy to (dis)connect. Something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=banana%20plug&source=15&SD=Y

A

Anonymous

I have a MA BR2 + Rotel RA04, but last week i got pm7001 on my hands (new could be mine for 300 GBP), tried it at my living room and i must agree with lall360... it out-performed my Rotel (I found the Marantz more detailed, sharper and with bit more vocal clarity)... anyway, now I decided to get one of the Marantz family, but I hear the newer pm6002 can perform much better for the price... but what if I get pm7001 for 300... any suggestions (as I see you owned them both)?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts