PM6002 as Pre Amp ?

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Just needed to know if Marantz PM6002 amplifier may be used as a pre amp ? satisfied as Iam with it's performance i would definitely consider getting a more powerful amp to suit my Jamo 405 floorstanders which is rates at 140 wpc. If this set up is possible it will also ensure i do not have to part with the 6002amp which i like very much. Thank you for your feedbacks.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Not without internal modding, I'm afraid.

I wouldn't concern yourself with the speaker power ratings, and as they seem to be decently sensitive speakers I would have thought your Marantz would drive them just fine.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you and appreciate your reply. Yes you are right, the amp does a very good job in driving the 405s but am I mistaken in my understanding that I'd benefit from a more qualitative bass output as the watts get higher ? thanks for advising and also compared to the 5001 player that i use now, will CD6003 make a substantial difference in performance ?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Well in my (limited) experience a more powerful amp will grip and drive the speakers better, which in turn should improve the bass.
However, different amps also have different sound characteristics; one reason, for example, why I'm not personally fond of NAD amps is that I find they emphasise the bass too much for my preferences. As I only have a small listening area bass isn't an issue for me, but as with all these things it's a case of going out to have a listen.
I haven't heard anything to compare the CD6003 directly with to be honest, but it is an excellent player IMO and I would be confident that it would be a worthwhile upgrade (can't say I've heard of an unhappy owner). If you have the readies and are near a Sevenoaks, I'd pop in for a listen as they've got it on offer over Easter at £235.

A

Anonymous

Dont bother, I use a Rotel RA-04 SE as a pre amp for a high end power amp and it`s not good. You need a matching pair of pre and power amp that were made for each other.

T

the record spot

You can, but needn't, pair one make pre/power amps. There are combinations that work well irrespective of manufacturer pairing. This is not an absolute rule, so feel free to experiment!

A

Anonymous

If you like your PM6002 and only wish more power, you should consider replacing your current amp by a higher grade Marantz amp PM8004 or Reference PM15-S2. I think PM6002 has no pre-out and there's no way of connecting an external power without internal modification.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts