plz review US brands like Emotiva, Jolida, Musichall and Outlaw

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No, it means none of those brands are sold in the UK and given that WHF is a UK based publication, there's no point them reviewing brands that they probably can't even get hold of.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
Hi Dr. Shah.deepan Is this equipment on sale in the uk and could I pop into my local dealers to give it a listen if the answer is yes then I can see no reason why it should not be reviewed

A

Anonymous

same problem here in India we dnt have these brands and they look good on their website at a very bargain price but never heard them, my brother is in USA and he doesnt know much about sound and he is comming back next month so i m confused wether i should go with marantz 6004 or risk with emotiva upa200 at just $314 which has total 40000uf capacitance compared to total 20000 uf of marantz pm 6004.

A

Anonymous

yes i have gone thru them and has a good review for these brands but i dnt kno how authentic they are somehow i m having more trust on what hifi may be just because this mag. i know since long and available in india. what you say stereophile is also good ?

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
dr.shah.deepan said:
yes i have gone thru them and has a good review for these brands but i dnt kno how authentic they are somehow i m having more trust on what hifi may be just because this mag. i know since long and available in india. what you say stereophile is also good ?

If you are interested in US products, Stereophile is the best bet as it is the top US mag.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
dr.shah.deepan said:
plz review US brands like Emotiva, Jolida, Musichall and Outlaw in budget systems

All of those brands are well respected and have received good reviews in US mags. Truth is that whether you will like them is more a matter of personal preference.

In a choice between Emotiva and Marantz, I'd opt for Marantz. I've owned 2 Emotiva products in the past and the real problem is that they are very heavy - so if anything goes wrong you will have to spend a lot of money to ship them to the US for repairs. Assuming you can get the Marantz locally, then you can always carry it back to the dealer if there is a problem.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Stereophile is a very good magazine but suffers from the same biases and subjective opinions as other hifi reviewers. At least they include some objective measurement data and allow the manufacturer to comment on their website reviews.

A

Anonymous

tino you r rt even their verdict is not so precise and to the point like whf; so bcoz of all this it becomes difficult for us to conclude anything properly.

A

Anonymous

thanx Ajani that was helpful but what about sound and performance are you happy with it compared with marantz (in terms of sound)and in my case i m opting for a lighter new upa 200 budget model. and if anything goes wrong i will replace it with new but i expect it should work well for 2-3 yrs. Ajani what you say will it serve my purpose?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
dr.shah.deepan said:
tino you r rt even their verdict is not so precise and to the point like whf; so bcoz of all this it becomes difficult for us to conclude anything properly.

... I think I said most magazines are pretty much the same when they give subjective appraisals of audio equipment. WHF is as guilty as the other magazines. I have used reviews to point me in the right direction before, but a 5* rating on its own isn't enough to justify something to me. You need to get consistent reviews across a variety of sources, hopefully some good measurement data, your own listening if possible and it always helps if there is a good sale price / ex-dem purchase to be had. Lastly you should also consider things that may not be related to the absolute sound quality such as the ease of use, connectivity, size, power consumption, aesthetics etc.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
dr.shah.deepan said:
thanx Ajani that was helpful but what about sound and performance are you happy with it compared with marantz (in terms of sound)and in my case i m opting for a lighter new upa 200 budget model. and if anything goes wrong i will replace it with new but i expect it should work well for 2-3 yrs. Ajani what you say will it serve my purpose?

At the price you can't fault the sound of Emotiva products. IMO their amps are their best products and generally the safest bet. I'm one of the few (afaik) persons who had their XPA-2 malfunction in just a year. In fairness to EMO they did ship a replacement part to me for free. But I really stopped using the brand over a bad experience with the XDA-1 DAC.

So I might be a bit biased against EMO because I've had a few bad experiences with their products. Other persons, on a US forum I used to be a member of, were very impressed with all their EMO gear.

The UPA-200 will likely meet your needs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts