please ... your opinion on the best amp. for ATC scm40

A

Anonymous

I wish I could count on all your experiences and opinions about the best "marriage" for scm40 amplification.

with best wishes to all!

lipe

A

Anonymous

I apologize first topic blank

(inadvertently pressed the enter)

A

Anonymous

Thank chebby ...

I've had for obvious reasons considering the amplification of the ATC ...
but would like to probe other alternatives that have equal success, and would like to know your opinion because you guys there in London has a very easy access to all tags in shops who can hear.

I had first thought in the following combos:

Primare pre30/a33.2

naim nac202 / nap200 ..... nac152xs / nap155xs

Bryston bp26 / 4 bsst2

ATC and ca2 / p1

Please feel free to opine ...

thank in advance

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
For me, a Naim combo with the SCM40's is just too lean - Naim likes speakers with a bit of low end, like Dynaudio - although full Naim systems tend to err on the lean side usually.

The Bryston combo drives the hell out of the SCM40's, but I don't feel it's quite as good a match as ATC's own electronics. Try the SCA2/SPA2150 combo, which I feel gets far more out of the SCM40's than the CA2/P1 combo does. But, try both, as you never know which you'll prefer until you try them.

The above recommendation stands regardless of room size or speaker positioning.

A

Anonymous

thanks frank ...

the sca2/spa2-150 is already above my budget. in the case of the Bryston, I'd get them at a price more enjoyable ...

and Primare pre30/a33.2? have any opinion formed in conjunction with the scm40?

Greetings!

lipe said:
I wish I could count on all your experiences and opinions about the best "marriage" for scm40 amplification. with best wishes to all! lipe

Hi lipe

Have you already got a pair of SCM40's? If so, did you listen to the SCM40 monitors before you bought them? If so, what amplifier/s and source component/s were used? Your impressions/thoughts of these electronics?

What amplifier are you currently using?

What source component/s will you be using?

What do you generally listen to?

Will anyone else also use the system? If so, their listening preferences?

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, mp3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Power requirements?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve?

Interconnects and speakers cables?

Your overall budget?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
lipe said:
thanks frank ... the sca2/spa2-150 is already above my budget. in the case of the Bryston, I'd get them at a price more enjoyable ...

Fair enough. I just assumed you'd be able to afford the ATC based on the price of the Bryston. Worth looking out for anything on the second hand market though, as I do feel the ATC electronics suit the SCM40 better than the Bryston. The Bryston works with the 40's, but it just doesn't shine like it does when it's used with KEF Reference, for instance.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I use the Primare pre/power combo you talk about. I use them with SCM11s, albeit I have heard a fair bit of the 40s. For me it is an ideal combination. ATC's skill is detail, neutrality, cohesion, punch etc. I feel the Primare exemplifies all these qualities. They are neutral, taut and detailed, able to handle both subtlety and dynamics.

It will obviously depend on what your sound preference is, and at the budget you're talking, auditioning is a must, if possible. I've heard some people describe the Primare as 'smooth', others as slighly 'valve-like'. I wouldn't go as far as either of those descriptions, but ATCs own amplification will obviously complement the speakers very well, but provide with you a little more 'attack'.

David's obviously right to say that ATC's 'pro' amplification will be a step up from the CA2 / P1 combo; given the price, that's to be expected. But I can't imagine he's suggesting, and if he is he's utterly wrong, that the CA2 / P1 will do anything other than a marvellous job driving the SCM40s. There are several members of ATC Forums who happily use this combination. It also provides an upgrade path of biamping with a further P1 when funds allow.

FWIW, although he appears to be mellowing, David publicly states he 'does not like' the 40s, so you may need to put his advice (particularly when KEFs start getting mentioned) into context. From what I've heard of Naim I think it would be a good combo - I would not describe the bass as lean, but taut, accurate and with limited distortion. These general qualities of ATC also allow the mid-range to shine. I'm not a fan of the Bryston electronics I've heard so wouldn't like to comment on that combo.

A

Anonymous

musicraft good afternoon,

never had the pleasure of hearing the scm19, and scm40'll have audition scheduled soon ... therefore not yet heard any of the models.

but with everything I have read the ATC models, I think it will be a candidate for upgrade.
now have a set Primare 21 series with an MA rx6 with interconects atlas "titan", and cable column atlas hyper 2.0.
but I intend to upgrade the entire system.

in general I hear the whole genre of music ...
depends on the disposition:)

I have no preference for either by amplification integarda combos pre / power ... is the one that best fulfill their function and requirements.

the vast majority will be the music played on CDs, and FLAC, via PC-dac-system.

My current room is 10m2, has 2 large curtains, and not that much furnished ... but the truth is that I believe in the future soon I'll move to another house.

my current hearing distance is about 2.5m/3m system, and I enjoy listening to music at low volume and high ... depends on my mood too:)

I hope I have managed to answer all your questions musicraft dear ...

with best regards and thanks for your attention

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
David's obviously right to say that ATC's 'pro' amplification will be a step up from the CA2 / P1 combo; given the price, that's to be expected. But I can't imagine he's suggesting, and if he is he's utterly wrong, that the CA2 / P1 will do anything other than a marvellous job driving the SCM40s.
I'm not saying they won't do a good job, as the CA2/P1 combo is what I would normally recommend for them (even over more expensive combonations), it's just that the SCA2/SPA1250 will do a far better job, and bring out more of the qualities some people claim this speaker to have.

FWIW, although he appears to be mellowing, David publicly states he 'does not like' the 40s, so you may need to put his advice (particularly when KEFs start getting mentioned) into context.
Whether I'm a fan of a speaker or not, my opinion (and experience) is as valid as anyone elses. Not sure why you are picking at the KEF Reference reference....

From what I've heard of Naim I think it would be a good combo - I would not describe the bass as lean, but taut, accurate and with limited distortion. These general qualities of ATC also allow the mid-range to shine. I'm not a fan of the Bryston electronics I've heard so wouldn't like to comment on that combo.
Naim will sound fine with many speakers, but I find it doesnt quite bring out the bass in speakers like the KEF Reference range, and I find the same with the SCM40's: the right amplification makes them sing - the wrong amplification they can sound like a tin kettle.

A

Anonymous

benlaw good afternoon,

thanks for your opinion ...

I realized by your experience, the Primare combo pre30/a33.2, behind the best of scm11 .... will be able to also bring the best of a column as scm40, which are more demanding?

is one of the pairs that I'll want to listen to the speakers ...

already now ... will the scm40, because they are sealed box should have no problems in spaces of less than 10m2?

Greetings

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi David,

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I'm not saying they won't do a good job, as the CA2/P1 combo is what I would normally recommend for them (even over more expensive combonations), it's just that the SCA2/SPA1250 will do a far better job, and bring out more of the qualities some people claim this speaker to have.

As I said, I didn't think that was what you were saying, so it seems as tho (again) we agree on something
smiley-smile.gif
Obviously if you throw the much more expensive amplification at the speakers, things will improve, I just didn't want the OP to think the CA2/P1 would be anything other than excellent amplification for the 40s.

Naim will sound fine with many speakers, but I find it doesnt quite bring out the bass in speakers like the KEF Reference range, and I find the same with the SCM40's: the right amplification makes them sing - the wrong amplification they can sound like a tin kettle.

I defer to your greater knowledge of the Naim & ATC combo
smiley-smile.gif
I've heard a reasonable amount of Naim and a lot of ATC, but not together. I would still have thought it's a combination that could do a job for some people, and may be worth an audition for the OP.

Nice to hear you say that the right amplification with the 40s makes them sing
smiley-smile.gif
Although conflicts somewhat with saying 'the qualities some people claim this speaker to have'.

lipe said:
musicraft good afternoon, never had the pleasure of hearing the scm19, and scm40'll have audition scheduled soon ... therefore not yet heard any of the models. but with everything I have read the ATC models, I think it will be a candidate for upgrade. now have a set Primare 21 series with an MA rx6 with interconects atlas "titan", and cable column atlas hyper 2.0. but I intend to upgrade the entire system. in general I hear the whole genre of music ... depends on the disposition:) I have no preference for either by amplification integarda combos pre / power ... is the one that best fulfill their function and requirements. the vast majority will be the music played on CDs, and FLAC, via PC-dac-system. My current room is 10m2, has 2 large curtains, and not that much furnished ... but the truth is that I believe in the future soon I'll move to another house. my current hearing distance is about 2.5m/3m system, and I enjoy listening to music at low volume and high ... depends on my mood too:) I hope I have managed to answer all your questions musicraft dear ... with best regards and thanks for your attention

Hi Lipe

Your welcome and thanks for your reply.

What kind of improvement are you looking for the new system to have over your exsiting system?

Would you prefer a bookshelf or floorstanding speaker design? Or will either do?

If your choice is to be a bookshelf design then will you stand, shelf or wall mount the speakers?

Room positioning of speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything in between or either side of the speakers such as a chminey breast, windows, cabinet etc.)?

Room walls (brick, concrete etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Room floor (concrete, carpeted, wooden etc.)?

Your overall budget for the amp and speakers?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
lipe said:
benlaw good afternoon, thanks for your opinion ... I realized by your experience, the Primare combo pre30/a33.2, behind the best of scm11 .... will be able to also bring the best of a column as scm40, which are more demanding? is one of the pairs that I'll want to listen to the speakers ... already now ... will the scm40, because they are sealed box should have no problems in spaces of less than 10m2? Greetings

Hi lipe,

no problem
smiley-smile.gif
The 11s and 40s are rated the same sensitivity (85dB), so they should be the same / similar. Unfortunately, I've not used my amplification with the 40s, but they have so much in reserve when driving the 11s that I have no doubt they'll handle the 40s perfectly well. FWIW, when we move to a bigger place, my next speakers will be SCM40s, and I won't feel the need for a home demo.

Of course, the other great thing about the ATCs, including the 40s, is that they are capable enough speakers to handle later upgrades of amplification. So, if you went for Primare, you could later upgrade to the A32, with ATC you could upgrade to the pro power amp (as discussed), or you could biamp with either.

The sealed box design will help with having the speakers close to rear and side walls, which I imagine you'll have to have in that sort of size room. You really can't beat ATC for that. IMO they won't overpower you in that size room, if that's what you were asking about, they're good at all volume levels.

Cheers,

Ben

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Nice to hear you say that the right amplification with the 40s makes them sing
smiley-smile.gif
Although conflicts somewhat with saying 'the qualities some people claim this speaker to have'.
I did hesitate in putting that, but I knew you'd need something to pick me up on, so went with it.
I'll clarify - 'make them sing' in relation to how well they can sing, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

dear rick (musicraft)

thanks for your attention ..

I have some preference for the scm40 scm19 instead because of the midle unit, and think that they are capable of reproducing music with greater dynamic.

I'm generally very satisfied with my current system, but try to make the leap to a better ...
is hard to define what I look for the new system, but I want a honest sound whit emotion.

able to get a smile on my face whenever I put her music ...

my maximum budget for the amplification and columns is + / - 7000 € max.

Greetings

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts