Please help

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
He

This has been a really bad week for me in hi-fi terms

Some of you may know that I have a Rotel power amp and B&W speakers well the amp has stopped working it powers up but no sound and as for the speakers well the nephew has decided I no longer need the tweeters and has ripped them out – Great!

Well anyway to my point – Some of you also may know that I have a pair of MS 906i’s and a TEAC 5 CD changer so I thought why not get a cheap amp to keep me going till I can get the other items repaired

I purchased a Marantz PM-57 of ebay and it’s a good basic amp but I’m not sure how to wire them up – If I follow the MS instructions only the tweeter and the first woofer work

My brother has wired them up for me and all woofers work ok but the sound is terrible the mid and high is there but absolutely no bass whatsoever and if I turn up the volume it sounds like the woofers have blown but the amp is only 50w/c – has he wired them up wrong?

Is this how it is with REAL Hi-fi you only get good sound if you spend a lot of money? My old Technics produced much better sound and I got it for the price of my MS speakers!

Please could someone show me how to wire the speakers up correctly as I’m rubbish at this and I’ve got poor vision – A picture would be great if possible

Thank you

A

Anonymous

TNT Audio say "though the tonal balance of the PM 57 is fairly good, its dynamic performance reveals where the savings have been made. It sounds compressed, especially in the bass: it tries to give a lot of energy to the mid-high range, leaving the bass range quite lifeless."

Sorry mate, but I think the amp is just a bit rubbish!

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Right off to ebay with it - It is really poor!

I'm Hoping the speakers are not that bad someone please tell me they are ok or should they go on ebay too?

The thing I'm worried about is the size of the mid/bass drivers they are small and I like a big room filling sound with plenty of bass

Which budget amp would you suggest to drive the 906i's?

Thank you

A

Anonymous

From ebay:

JVC AX-5
Pioneer A-400
Arcam Alpha 8 or 9

And the speakers are good so no problems there. For room-filling sound, you can't go wrong with the JVC, and it's very reliable given they are nearly 30 years old these days!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts