Playing FLAC files on hifi DAC vs. home cinema DAC

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've recently purchased a Panasonic BDP220 Blue Ray Player, part of the attraction being the machine's ability to play Flac files via the USB input. I've downloaded music files from Hyperion and Linn and the sound quality is excellent.

A minor problem with one of the Linn downloads, The Wants album by the Phantom Band, which Linn are checking out for me. The Panasonic has a 32 bit 192Khz DAC according to their website and will process Flac files upto the 24bit 192 Khz level. As the Blue Ray player is pretty inexpensive I'm really impressed with the sound quality, the 24bit 96Khz downloads from Hyperion sound very clean and clear.

I wonder therefore how much I would have to spend on a stand alone DAC to improve on the BPD220's sound quality and whether I would actually hear much difference.

The Panasonic plays through a ROKSAN Kandy L3 amp and Spendor A5 speakers.

SOMEONE JUST POSTED THE ABOVE.
PLEASE CONFIRM WHETHER THIS IS THE CASE.
IM SURE IT DOESNT HAVE A 32BIT DAC.
I THOUGHT THIS MEANT THAT IT CAN HANDLE FILES UPTO 32BIT, BEFORE THE DAC DOWNSAMPLED........

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
The specs say it has a 32 bit dac. It isn't that important though. Dac chips are cheap. It is the implementation and surrounding electronics that matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts