Plasma Upgrade Advice Please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

Im in desperate need of some expert What Hi Fi Advice? I find my self in a situation where i want to upgrade my current plasma but because of many reasons not just picture quality. I currently have 42" Toshiba Plasma 42WP27, which was one of the early model plasma's which i believe was produced by panasonic. I am amazed that even though this is now an old set i am still able to receive HD through the component input, even though HD was pretty un heard of then,and this does give me a nice picture when watching sky HD. I use Bose Acoustimass 16 series 2 for sound which will be staying as they are all set in the walls, connected via a Sony STR-DB940 AMP which also now could do with updating

The trouble with my connections are i only have 1 set of component inputs and 1 set of s-video inputs avalible on this set and this leaves me little room for other equipment and no options for Blue Ray.However the picture when watching any HD channel is good.

Now I would like to upgrade my screen, but dont want to spend a thousand pounds on a new screen only to see a marginal difference in the picture quality, yes i would benifit from being able to connect more and get involved in Blue ray,but i want to see a real improvement on what i am currently seeing, and this will also help me justify it to the wife!!!!!

I then thought well if i want to improve alot on what i have maybe i would need to go for the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 Best price i found is £1800 but then read a comment from ClareNewsome the other day in the forums that all current HD sets wont actually be able to receive proper HD anyway? Does anyone know what she meant by this? As I am totally baffled.

Also what are the main differences between the new pioneer KRP-500A and the Pioneer PDP-LX5090 as its about £700 more web price and what does that buy you in difference?

Im at a stage when i could upgrade my current setup now, but could also make it last an extra year or more if there is going to be a new breed of sets coming out ie-reference her comments above,

If i was to go for the pioneer would i notice a masive difference and would this apply to normal non hd broadcasts as well? I have a newer samsung 26"LCD in my concervatory which i mainly use for xbox, pc and these look excellent but it shows up normal signals and makes them look quite pixelated, and my 42 tosh blows it away for watching SKY HD. so it does make me wonder would i be better waiting for our TV networks to move to HD and will this then change our sets again?

On another note what would be a good amplifier to go with my current speakers and the pioneer should i take the plunge?

To summarise

1.Should i upgrade now,will i be able to tell a big difference on what i already have?

2.What did Clare mean by her comments about HD sets?

3.Whats the difference between the pioneers?Is it worth £700

4.What amplifier would suit my current speakers?

Any comments from other readers and clare would be very greatfully received
emotion-2.gif

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Your answer to Q.2 is all broadcasts are either 1080i or 720p NOT 1080p like you get with blu-ray.

In other words if you had a full HD 1080p tv you would only get 1080p from blu-ray.

Hope this makes sence.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

1. Only you and your other half will be able to tell if a new tv is an upgrade worth doing or not.

2. Without a reference to what she wrote precisely, I think Clare was referring to the differences in the freeview we have today and the freeview we may end up with once HD is broadcast 'over the air' and down an aerial as opposed to via a satellite dish. Freeview down your aerial cable will require a new tuner within a seperate box or within the tv.

3. Main difference is the KRP500 has seperate tuner/connections which allows the TV case to be thinner.

4. Not familiar with the BOSE speakers you have - if you like Sony you could try one of their newer receivers if you know a friendly dealer who'll allow a home demo. You could also write to the magazine stating your difficulties and ask to be the subject of the 'Reader Rescue' column.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Thanks,

Thats helpfull thanks, if the new pioneer has a seperate tuner/connections does that not give and extra set of cables for the signals to travel through? ie from source to tuner box,then onto tv,would this not effect the quality?

I Would be interested in apearing in the reader Rescue column should any one at What Hi Fi be listening!

Thanks

Lee

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Although I can see where you are coming from, if the addition of a breakout box was going to cause degradation of the signal I don't think Pioneer would have built it this way given they are seen as being at the top end of the display market.

I think it is a convenience thing too - only one cable to route if the tv is wall mounted which will obviously keep it neater. This may be especially poignant if your source is not close to the tv.

Submit a letter or email to the magazine for the opportunity to appear as a reader rescue participant.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts