Plasma or LCD TV

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am looking to ditch my old Phillips CRT TV and invest in a brand spanking new TV, but I am not sure whether to go for a Plasma or LCD????

I would be looking for something between the 38" and 42" size and watch a wide variety of programmes on both TV and DVD. Also what would be the best way to get sound and pictures from Sky+ box to AV amplifier and Screen. My AV amp does not have HDMI but I do have the choice of either standard phono or optical connections.

I am looking to spend up to about £1000, ideally less if I wait for the sales?

Any recommendations?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Your choice of screen sizes in that range would be 37in, 40in or 42in. Panasonic has two excellent plasma models, the £1000 TH-37PX70 and £1200 TH-42PX70 (although in truth you'll find them for less if you shop around). Both were Best Buys in our 2007 Awards.

If you want an LCD screen, Sony do a 40in model the KDL-40W3000, although it's pricier at £1900. Personally I'd go for one of the Panasonics.

The best way to hook up the sound from your Sky+ box is to use the optical digital connection between the satellite box and AV amp, then RGB Scart from Sky box to TV.

A

Anonymous

The Sony KDL-40W3000 doesn't cost anywhere near £1900, more like £1300 these days...

A

Anonymous

Hi, I spent all year pfaffing about trying to decide what TV to get and at one point actually took delivery of a Sony Bravia 46X but was very very disappointed with it. Not only was it huge (bigger than almost all 50" screens that are on the market) but the picture on SD was not good. By that I really mean the picture on SD that involved movement of any kind, e.g. any ball sports but particularly tennis.

I'm so glad it was too big and I sent it back and waited because I now have the Pioneer PDP428X which is absolutely stunning. I got it for about £1,600.00 including stand over the internet but if your budget doesn't stretch to that I'd go for a Panasonic plasma over any of the LCD's because that motion smearing problem would just drive me nuts - and if it was bad on the 46X what would it be like on lesser LCDs?

Just my opinion, of course.
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts