Plasma help please

denontillidie

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I recently bought a panasonic p50g20b plasma tv. Overall I am very happy with it, BUT, it does have this constant whistling noise coming from the power supply which fluctuates depending on the power being drawn by the screen, ie white is worst, which late at night (especially when watching american dad on bbc3) does become very distracting.

I currently have it mounted on a tilting mount which is placed on a concrete wall. We have quiet a large front room, with a viewing distance of about 10-11 foot from the tv. Currently, we have a bare glass set of patio doors 6 foot to the right of the tv which runs along the side of the viewing distance. This will be curtained soon.

Is there anything that i can do acoustically to suppress this very annoying noise (bar chucking a brick at it) or is it part of the deal with plasmas?

Cheers,

Rob Owen

A

Anonymous

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas and the only sound is the fan on the 2 year old, it is not intrusive and has always been the same. If it intrudes as you describe then it is a fault and needs sorting under warranty. Soft furnishing behind any source of noise can be helpful in reducing intensity of noise.

Isn't it jolly helpful for someone to chime in about their good fortune with a completly different product? Still I see no reason why there should be less idiots in this community than mankind at large.

Get your tv repaired and don't get sidelined by " it is a feature of (this) model".

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
lordy said:
Isn't it jolly helpful for someone to chime in about their good fortune with a completly different product? Still I see no reason why there should be less idiots in this community than mankind at large.

That's a little harsh and coming from me you should worry about that...

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
lordy said:

That's a little harsh and coming from me you should worry about that...
I agree. Especially as the OP said "

Is there anything that i can do acoustically to suppress this very annoying noise (bar chucking a brick at it) or is it part of the deal with plasmas?

" Which looks like a question to any plasma owner to me. Still, I see no reason why there should be less illiterates in this community than mankind at large.

A

Anonymous

Dear Hammill,

You accurately point to the fact that the OP does say, 'is it part of the deal with plasmas'? so one could apply it generally as perhaps has happened.

Certainly it would be of little help to me because I would like to know the experiences of Panasonic plasma owners because that is the equipment I and the OP has. After all it would not help a Denon owner to know that Onkyo receivers get very hot if said Denon owner was worried that his Denon was about to catch fire.

I have noticed that, in the short time that I have been looking at posts, Pioneer plasma owners have a tendancy to join in with less than helpful comments about the wondrousness of Kuro panels that are of no help at all. If it is not the case on this occasion and if the poster points out my mistake then I shall be very pleased to apologise to that poster. N.B. I too found them to be of exceptional quality and would have been happy to own one. so before anyone(???) asks/states- I am not anti Kuro.

If your 'illiterates' comment is pointed at me then you seriously need to check out a dictionary. Also, I seem to have missed your helpful comments to the OP, which I thought was the point of the exercise.

Have a nice day.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
lordy said:

Lordy, the OP entitled this thread as "Plasma help please". He did NOT entitle it "Panasonic plasma help please". Therefore, as the owner of two plasmas, I thought that a contribution from me would be valid. Of course, if he had entitled the thread as "Panasonic plasma help please" then I would have stayed out of the debate. I really don't think that my contribution, in a brief but measured way, as a plasma owner, to a discussion about plasmas, gives you the right to call me an idiot.

Mr Rob Owen, if the noise from your Panasonic plasma bothers you, get it checked pronto while it is still under guarantee, as bigboss said. Certainly I can't remember hearing much noise from Panasonic plasmas even in pretty quiet shops, so maybe yours is slightly faulty? Anyway, I hope that you are soon enjoying your plasma as much as I still do mine, years after their purchase. I think that you can reasonably expect your television set to be quiet.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Dear Son-of-SJ,

If I have unfairly grouped you in to the unhelpful Kuro crowing club then I sincerely apologise to you and you alone. Had your further comments to Rob been in your original post then I would have viewed your post in a different light.

I do so hope that writing this second post has not taken you too far from your, 'Parlour'.

Regards,

Lordy

A

Anonymous

I have a Panasonic plasma (and a pioneer LX5080 upstairs) both have fans, both operate when the TV's are on, and neither can be heard, even with the volume at low level. So I hope this helps the OP and IMO if your not happy with it, it wont hurt to get it checked out.

A

Anonymous

Dear Markjaspi,

What is an IMO? Not up to speed on that sort of thing.

Thanking you in anticipation of your earliest reply and my apologies for using this post for my own purposes.

:oops:

Lordy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts