Plans for testing the FMJ A18 or A28?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
drummerman:They are available retail now. An audition should'nt be difficult to organize.

Agreed, but until we receive review samples there's not much we can do.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin:Fair enough. I was hoping one might slip thru the back door [so to speak].

Being Arcam amplification, you probably would'nt know they're there until you fall over one.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:What if you HAD to choose between the Arcam or the Rotel?

But I dont
emotion-1.gif

The 18 is just too pedestrian for me and it can realistically really only drive small speakers with well damped bass. Still, better balanced than the A70. The Rotel lacks coherence and I dont like the bass or treble.

If you dont want a cyrus, dont like the 7001 or KI version, think the Brio has not enough power, dont like the name creek etc. I still would'nt suggest either one (A18 or 06). I'd spend a hundred quid and buy a s/h Denon PM355UK. It sounds as close to the Arcam A28 (RRP £750) as is ridiculous. Even has slightly better bass and midrange drive, only looses slight treble clarity but you only notice when comparing them back to back. Believe me, we've tried it but dont tell anyone I've said this.

Anyway, the new Arcams are not bad, have good facilities, look nice and will probably appeal to many but for musical involvement they are unfortunately not my cup of tea.

A

Anonymous

Denon make some superb amplifiers with that sound that I like...can't explain it...they are jsut very musical! Very much the same as the ol' JVCs...then again, I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese Electronics (JVC, Denon, Marantz)!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hughes123:Denon make some superb amplifiers with that sound that I like...can't explain it...they are jsut very musical! Very much the same as the ol' JVCs...then again, I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese Electronics (JVC, Denon, Marantz)!

So what went wrong?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

drummerman:
Hughes123:Denon make some superb amplifiers with that sound that I like...can't explain it...they are jsut very musical! Very much the same as the ol' JVCs...then again, I'm a bit of a fan of Japanese Electronics (JVC, Denon, Marantz)!

So what went wrong?
emotion-5.gif

It was a good deal...or so I thought! Don't worry, I'm willing for it to break under its 5 year warranty...badly...so I help it along by sticking the CD player right on top of it and then shoving it in a cabinet with half a mm of room each side of it...and then sticking two pairs of speakers which are a lower impedence than it can take, and then I play it
emotion-55.gif
really
emotion-55.gif
loud...

Oh my poor A-X5...how it sits there wanting to be played with its HUGE volume dial which is far too loud at even 9 o'clock on MM phono...I must find some use for it!

Oh and on the last day of school when we have a rock concert, I took it in and hooked it up to some MASSIVE JBL PA system speakers and it played them bl@@dy well!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont start that one again, I was winding you up. You get to love your Arcam like you love an old, worn in pair of slippers, a cosy sort of way, a life in the slow lane ...
emotion-2.gif

Seriously though, its certainly not a bad amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts