Planning an entry level system

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone.

Here is my quandry :

I have a collection of vinyl dating back 30+ years, not extensive, but they mean a lot to me. So, I want to be able to listen to them.

Currently, I have a Denon D M30 mini system (CD/Tuner), with either Denon/Mission speakers that came with it, or an old (70's) pair of Wharfedale Dentons.

Now, my plan is to buy a Rega RP1 as a TT (£230) and then do :

1) Buy a phono amplifier like the Rega Fono Mini A2D for around £80-£90, plug the TT into this, and then plug this into the Denon and use the speakers I already have - this would be a cost of around £230+£80 = £310

2) Buy a integrated amplifier e.g. Marantz PM5004 Amplifier for around £150 and some speakers, maybe the Q Acoustics 2010i for around £120 - this would cost around £230 + £150 + £120 = £500

3) Buy a complete Rega setup - Rega Brio-R amp £480 and Rega RS1 speakers for around £475 - this would put me back £230 + £480 + £475 = £1185

So, I suppose my question is - which would be the most sensible route ? The cost increase is obvious from step to step, but is the sound quality going to increase in similar leaps and bounds ? I know there is a law of diminishing returns, and this applies in audio equipment as it does in everything, but I am rather confused :grin:

My head tells me that the first choice is the best, I get to play my LP's with the least expenditure and can upgrade when I wish to. I am wary of secondhand since I don't really know enough about it to pick a gem from a pile of poo !

Any thoughts ? Am I missing something, are my choices of equipment foolish, wrong ? Any and all advice is gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Andrew

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I would go for a mix for the above, Buy a Rega RP3, Nagoaka cartride, and Slee gram amp 2, and play that through the denon. You will , in my view get a much better balance of analogue sound from that set up, than by putting a RP1 in the mix. Analogue still sticks to the source first idea than digital. You will also have a really strong base to work with should you later decide that you want more, and move to a integrated amp and different speakers. The RP3 can front a vinyl system to a fairly high level before you need to think about upgrading. Spend a bit more on fewer componenets once, rather than nibble away bit at a time.

T

the record spot

I'd look at the Stanton STR8.150 at £500 too. Better build than the RP3 and the natural successor to the now discontinued Technics 1200 series. If you upgrade the arm in time and stock on a new cartridge, you'll have a very good deck. Build and speed control are rock solid.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
cisamcgu said:
Hello everyone.

Here is my quandry :

I have a collection of vinyl dating back 30+ years, not extensive, but they mean a lot to me. So, I want to be able to listen to them.

Currently, I have a Denon D M30 mini system (CD/Tuner), with either Denon/Mission speakers that came with it, or an old (70's) pair of Wharfedale Dentons.

Now, my plan is to buy a Rega RP1 as a TT (£230) and then do :

1) Buy a phono amplifier like the Rega Fono Mini A2D for around £80-£90, plug the TT into this, and then plug this into the Denon and use the speakers I already have - this would be a cost of around £230+£80 = £310

2) Buy a integrated amplifier e.g. Marantz PM5004 Amplifier for around £150 and some speakers, maybe the Q Acoustics 2010i for around £120 - this would cost around £230 + £150 + £120 = £500

3) Buy a complete Rega setup - Rega Brio-R amp £480 and Rega RS1 speakers for around £475 - this would put me back £230 + £480 + £475 = £1185

So, I suppose my question is - which would be the most sensible route ? The cost increase is obvious from step to step, but is the sound quality going to increase in similar leaps and bounds ? I know there is a law of diminishing returns, and this applies in audio equipment as it does in everything, but I am rather confused :grin:

My head tells me that the first choice is the best, I get to play my LP's with the least expenditure and can upgrade when I wish to. I am wary of secondhand since I don't really know enough about it to pick a gem from a pile of poo !

Any thoughts ? Am I missing something, are my choices of equipment foolish, wrong ? Any and all advice is gratefully recieved.

Thanks

Andrew

option 3 without the rega speakers would be a good bet, add some kef r100's for a nice little system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would also look at Pro-Ject turntables I think there budget ones are better than the Rega and seem to have less problems. They have similar priced units and also phono amps.

I would not buy the Rega RS1s they were the worst speakers for me that I audutioned out of about 15. Think there are better and cheaper options. You may look at the Rega Brio R amp. cost £400 ex demo, that has a good phono stage, that would still leave a fair amount for speakers. MAny will say spend more on a TT.

Its best to have a few demos, book 1.5-2 hours and try out various gear.

I know of a mint condition Rega RP6 for sale near Reading if thats any interest.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
I would back up the options 1 & 3. And I would strongly disagree, that Pro-Ject decks are better then Rega, but everyone should make their own mind for themselves.

Regarding the Rega RS1s being the worst speakers for me that I audutioned out of about 15.

I would say that in-the-shop-demo of loudspeakers can be very misleading, especially if you are listening to speaker A against speaker B against speaker C. It's like a demo of a parfume in a shopping mall in December - you wont even be able to smell the nice subtle one at all and the strongest one will impress the most, but is it really the best, can you live with that one in a normal environment at all?

T

the record spot

Yes, options 1 and 3 also if you've a preference for MDF....

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
respe >>

Hmmm.. I see what you are getting at.. spend as much as possible on the TT, play that through what I already have (Denon + Mission/Wharfedale) then upgrade the amp/speakers as the requirments demand and money allows ?

Nagaoka MP110 cartridge ?

£475 + £90 + £160 = £725

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok, thanks for your help, it has done two things

1) focussed my mind on the "source" rather than the output

2) reminded me that my brother used to have a REGA planar 3 many years ago. I emailed him, and he still has it, isn't using it, and will happily ship it across Europe to me - so, hopefully in a few weeks I will be the proud owner of a REGA planar 3 of about 1980 vintage. :grin: So, once I get that, I will no doubt return with more question and requests for advice - but for the moment I will await the arrival of a big cardboard box with eager anticipation.

btw - He still has the orginal box and polysterene bits - is there an advice as to packing a REGA ? I have a quick search but can find nothing definite.

Many thanks

Andrew

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello again,

well, things have moved on a little and I should be recieving a 30 year old Rega Planar 3 in the next week or so. I plan on getting it serviced at my local hi fi shop (P & A Audio) but then I am a little lost on the best next step.

As I described above, I have an old Denon DM30 mini system and a couple of pair of speakers .. an old Wharfedale Denton pair and the small Denon/Mission set that came with the mini system. Would I be best to buy a cheap phone stage and plug that into the TT and Denon amp, (£85 Rega fono mini) or buy an integrated amp to use instead of the Denon/phono stage - budget around £150

Also, is it best to stick with the current speakers until I have got the amp/phono stage and listened to it and decided what I like, or will the speakers pull the sound down so far that I will just get dispirited ?

Thanks

cisamcgu

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
The Marantz 6004 seems to be around £250 not £150 and the 6005 is closer to £300

I will cast an eye over the A30, but will is sound significantly better than the old Denon mini system ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts